Anyone regret buying a KLR?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bullwinkle58, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    And honored you should be! Sounds like you should move to where cabin fever is less prevalent then allowing you more time to ride!
  2. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    I hope you don't mind that I take the liberty to do so. Footdragger is a hell of a rider, I've ridden with him a couple of times and he'll put me to shame. His DR has had probably the same mods on it in regards to suspension that he would have done to a KLR so to me the bikes are pretty equitable.
    I have no regrets having my KLR's but I've also moved to a KTM which puts a broader smile on my face in the dirt, although it's trying to kill me. The KLR is a great bike for a work mule. I've spent more $ on the KTM moding it to fit me than the KLR. If I had to pick one bike for it's simplicity and ease of service as well as parts availability it'd be the KLR. You can still have a lot of fun on it for way less $. There is not a "perfect" bike. Buy and ride what makes you happy. :D
  3. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    The best way to knock a thread off track is complain about it being off track....

KLRs suck, they tip over even with a counterweight.....

[​IMG]
  4. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'(

Oddometer:
    I was really considering one when I was shopping for my bike a couple years ago. I'm really glad I didn't, as I spent my life riding in the treacherous soft sands of my local desert. I could not imagine riding one of those heavy beasts up a soft loamy hillside:eek1

If I road a lot less offroad, the KLR would be perfect. Don't get me wrong, I *used* have regrets buying my old ass Honda, but as time and money went into it, I've became obsessed with it. One thing I do like about the XL is it handles quite well on street compared to other DS bikes I've rode. One day when I eat up more highway miles a KLR is certainly possible, I refuse to own a cruiser!:puke1

I do have a fancy for the Tengai! Now those are cool looking bikes.... :deal I'd love to restore one of these someday.... It's the only early 90's paint scheme that looks good[​IMG]

I'm not trying to sound like I'm knocking the KLR, different tools for things, and different bikes for different riding styles and habits.
  5. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe...but I'm easy to please. I think Pro-Action suspension's slogan was "the best you know is the best you've ridden." As far as bigger dual sports go, my only experience will have been on a KLR, so I won't know what I'm missing. :lol3

I like that it's not sexy & inexpensive, that way nobody will think they need it more than I do. If I'm going the same places I'll have the same fun.
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I came from street riding and the KLR was my first foray into anything remotely dirty. I suspect I am not the only one. It allowed me to explore my region a bit better and caused me to meet several types of riders that I may never have been in contact with. I upgraded a lot of the lacking points of the machine but it is what it is.
    I use it as my winter bike now and it keeps the hard salty miles off my other machines. I can not say it is enjoyable any more but it is reliable to a fault. I have pounded, bashed and crashed it. I have overloaded, abused and did long days on it. It starts in -15c and hauls groceries 6 months of the year so I can not possibly regret buying it.
    Do I want another one. Nope....but dollar for dollar it is the best bike for the money for the purpose it was built for.
  7. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merely acquiring a KLR annoys, offends, threatens, and somehow angers some posters on this thread, Bullwinkle58! If you buy a KLR, you will heap burning coals upon their foreheads! (A little Biblical paraphrasing there!)

Why do these forum members detest KLRdom so?

They do not know; cannot explain their angst over KLR existence; why they must boast of their own consumer choice and condemn those of others.

Nevertheless, stand by for endless further posts from the anti-KLR set, as they brag about the superiority of their own machines, and condemn KLRs. (Not to mention, for example, other self-promotional bragging, as in owning two (2! Count 'em! 2!) "thriving" businesses, and an "above average" home. (Weren't ALL the schoolchildren in Lake Woebegone, "above average?"))

Fundamentally, these KLR-detractors do not regret buying a KLR; they never bought one. Yet, they shall dictate to others, their own preferences and prejudices. They will tell you, you SHOULD regret buying one! :lol3

Curiously, these forum members of which I speak, think their comments clever, humorous, funny! One shouldn't be surprised, then, that the French consider Jerry Lewis a comic genius.

As mentioned, I do not regret buying a KLR; further I do not begrudge anyone else's choice in motorcycle make and model.

Congratulations on keeping your own counsel, willing to try out a KLR and decide for yourself whether you want to keep it. If you should trade, you can't lose much money! Best wishes in finding the right adventure bike for yourself, be it a KLR, or any other three letters of the alphabet! :rofl
  8. Touring XR

Touring XR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want a turn-key adventure tourer, and by that I mean long distance, go-anywhere capability, there is only one choice. KLR 650.

If you want a street bike that looks rugged and outdoorsy, there are bikes for that. If you get bored of you bike and always want something new, there's always newer bikes. If you want something exotic, there's bikes like that. If you want to build something, say a dirt bike with more range and better wind protection you can build a bike like that.

I'm guilty of the exotic, my elefant
    I'm guilt of building a dirt bike for long distances, my XR600R

I'm not smart enough to own a KLR.

The friend who I travel with owns one. It's got about 80k on it. It's been to the arctic circle, all over the western US, to Baja including a fair amount of the remaining dirt sections of the 1000 course. It's never failed. It has good wind protection. It's smooth for a single. Will cruise at 70 on the interstate all day. It will climb loose, crappy hillsides. It will singletrack (slowly). It runs on the crappiest fuel. It has a huge range. Carries more than you should take on a trip. Has good charging capacity to run all of your heated gear or charge your toys.

It's a tool, not a fashion accessory. If you want to ride a long way, on anything anyone calls a road, it's the right tool
  9. RFVC600R

Oddometer:
    :lol3 +1 for sure
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally, I love KLR's because, as I have said many times, somebody has to carry the beer.
  11. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:

Another +1 for sure. :freaky
  12. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    If you think the amount of haters you get regarding owning a KLR is bad you should never dare speak of how capable a DRZ 400 is when properly setup.
  13. bobbed06

Oddometer:
    Dont fret kind sir, these guys also take pride in hating on the WRR, and im sure the DRZ as well.
  14. Mens Rea

Mens Rea Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oddly, it has the effect of making we want to try them all, just to see what the fuss is about.

I never wanted a sportster until I read the thread about how much they suck. :lol3
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    And take care of mosquito fogging.
  16. bobbed06

Oddometer:
    Exactly........
  17. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    hummm.... not so much pride or hate, I think more the enjoyment of winding up owners who are perhaps a little overly optimistic about the virtues of their steads. :deal

Would you really expect anything less on a motorcycle forum with so many subscribers, many of whom have extensive experience and knowledge of bikes. Which naturally makes it hard for those people who get a little overexcited about their bikes capabilities to get away with exaggerated claims about their ability without copping some sort of flack: and it is fun in a sadistic kind of way watching folks getting wound up over other peoples opinions.....chilling out is hard for some folks it seems :freaky
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    KLR's have been the butt of jokes here on ADV so long its second nature to bash em,its not so much that they arent good usable bikes,its like you say,their over excited owners have become insecure about the things and go off at the drop of a hat if someone pokes a little fun.
    And that's all it is poking fun,its not meant to be serious.
    KLR bashing is much more brutal in Jo Momma,but still is just comedy.

Some owners have less then 0 sense of humor though.
  19. RFVC600R

Oddometer:
    I kinda wished I bought a KLR at times. I'd probably spend more time riding instead of wrenching. :rofl Like I said, different bikes for different things.
  20. bobbed06

Oddometer: