Anyone regret buying a KLR?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bullwinkle58, Apr 22, 2014.

1. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:

I loved my old XL600......so many great memories.
  2. AKoffroader

AKoffroader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't own one, but when talking to guy or gal wanting to get into ADV type riding, it's the one bike I recommend first if they just want to "buy and ride". A DR is the second choice because they need a little work (tank, windshield, rack) out of the box. If you don't mind doing the mods to a DR, I feel it's a better ride over the KLR for lower vibes, lighter weight, simpler design (air cooled).

In the end though, a KLR is hard to beat right out of the box.

Take care,

AK Greg
  3. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'(

Oddometer:
    Keyword is old. :deal Takes a little bit of time and money to get a 30 year old bike ready for the world again. Definitely worth it.
  4. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    always like to helpout whenever I can :evil my comments were not given in anyway to mean what you have crudely defined them as, ironically though your post validates mine, thanks for that! :lol3
  6. pismoe

pismoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    think you are correct AK Greg , DR 650 might need a little work but I also think that it is the way to go if I get rid of my 2008 Bonnie .
  7. pismoe

pismoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    course another low mileage and cherry garbage bag green KLR would be hard to pass up /
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Quick! Which ADV or enduro bike can you buy that doesnt need work to make it fit you or do what you want it to better?

There are none,unless you specialize in riding to work and back and that's it.
  9. stevie t

stevie t some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer:
    This ^^^^^...you will spend some coin making it yours...but you already knew that....those zip ties aren't cheap...

[​IMG]image by steeveeet, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. bspf

bspf Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ridden dirt bikes my whole life. Currently I ride a KTM 200 XCW, mostly for single track.
    I bought a used 07 KLR a couple of years back to get into the adventure touring type riding. I have very limited experience on street bikes.
    So far I have upgraded the suspension, stock is passable on the street but get it on some logging roads and it is very inadequate.
    Then I put a Seat Concepts seat on and that made big difference from the stocker. After an hour on the stock seat my butt was not happy.
    My biggest complaint with the bike is the vibration coming through the handlebars. It makes my arms numb. I have just installed an rubber mounted top triple clamp and oversize bars to see if that will help.
    I enjoy riding the bike. It is very predictable and has enough power to keep me happy.
    My buddy has a BMW 1200 GSA. That thing is as smooth as butter. But I think it would be a handful on some of the logging roads I've been on.
    My son has a KTM 400 XCW that we plated so he could ride with me. I would not want to put much time on the street on that bike. Its ok for linking up logging roads with.
    So no, I don't regret buying my KLR.
  11. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where, exactly, in this thread or elsewhere, have you evidence of KLR "owners who are perhaps a little overly optimistic about the virtues of their steeds," Night Falcon?

Not saying such excessive optimism doesn't exist; only--I haven't noticed it. On the contrary, KLR owners candidly admit the limitations of their KLRs, in my view. They certainly do not appear to exaggerate KLR virtues.

Seems to me, most posters here (who actually have bought KLRs) post they do not regret their purchase; hardly an overly-optimistic statement about KLR virtues.
  12. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Kinda agree with what your saying; Many, "not all" KLR riders know that it is a compromise bike; I understand a bit as I have owned a few gen 1 models and wouldn't mind buying a new one. Not saying I will, but I might:lol3

seems many (former) KLR riders miss them and end buying another:eek1

Maybe it just irritates other owners that people seem to have a love affair (me included) with this ol' garden tractor of a bike:wink:
  13. MIKEYLIKESIT

MIKEYLIKESIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what was the question?
  14. JerryH

JerryH Proudly Powered By Internal Combustion Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have owned 2 KLRs, both first gen models. Didn't keep either one very long. I felt they had plenty of power for the road, but then I'm not the type that needs to go 100+ The problem on the road was the HORRIBLE seat. It was just too heavy and awkward for the type of off road riding I do. It took a lot of effort to muscle it around. So I wound up with a street bike and a smaller dual sport.
  15. RFVC600R

Oddometer:
    Take a gander in ride reports sometime, there is plenty of people who do not regret their KLR :deal:evil

I think these regret threads are for people who want to buy one but fear they might regret the purchase.

But the big bore kit in it, and ride around the world!
  16. parallaxbill

parallaxbill Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer:
    Between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    I absolutely love my KLR even when she's napping.
    uploadfromtaptalk1398556405133.jpg

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
  17. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    It is within his own mind, you have to read between the lines.......
  18. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You just have to love these pigs, where's the lipstick? :raabia
  19. RFVC600R

Oddometer:
    Man, my knee hurts just thinking about picking one of them up.

If the bike isn't on it's side, you're doing something wrong.
  20. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I so want to ask how y'all managed to crash on roads like that. But, I will play nice since assuming either the bike or rider was at fault will no doubt get me in trouble here.