Anyone regret buying a KLR?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bullwinkle58, Apr 22, 2014.

1. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    I've never gone down because of the bike or terrain for that matter. I've never had a mechanical failure of a bike that would put me down, it's always about maintaining control of the bike in my case. The first pic (red bike) was on Hancock pass on the TAT, I had gotten tired going up that pass and hit a rock that rolled and threw my front off line and that's all she wrote. Bike weighed (with rider and full camp gear) approx 750lbs. That was early in the day, didn't have any problems after that. I learned a lot about riding in the rocks on that trip in 2010 but apparently not enough. The pic of the 1990 KLR is last October, I wasn't tired but lost my line and hit a good sized rock and again, it just threw me down. That one hurt. It's always about the rider for me, and really, most people that go down if you're honest with yourself. Just my humble opinion. :D
  2. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    I spent all day yesterday riding around looking for regrets and didn't find any:rofl
  3. MIKEYLIKESIT

MIKEYLIKESIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i don't even know what they look like... i hope i didn't hit any riding around the river last week. can they hold their breath under water??
  4. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    I bought one in late 1988.

Got rid of lots of unuseful and heavy parts, fitted a KX 500 fork, an Acerbis Elba mask and headlight, a custom built JM shock, some Michelins T61, Renthal handlebar and sprocket, a Yamaha TT trip/odometer and a Termignoni slip on.

This is a early-stage-project pic:

[​IMG]

Then in early 1990 I bought an XR600R... :1drink
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Bought one, regretted it from day one. Spent a small fortune doing upgrades before admitting defeat and selling it.

For people who don't ride aggressively I suppose it makes sense. For the rest, aka the majority, of people who wants performance from a bike....well the KLR fails in every aspect from build quality, suspension, power, etc

Just my two cents worth :thumb
  6. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'(

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike Maurizio

Was the XR600 lightyears away even after uprgrading the KLR?? :ear
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Were trying to steer this thread to where nobody has regrets,try to find something positive to say next time.

Performance is vastly over rated anyways:1drink
  8. MIKEYLIKESIT

MIKEYLIKESIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    now where's the fun in that?
  9. parallaxbill

parallaxbill Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer:
    Between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    I had done about three miles of hills covered by deep sand, so either the rider or the bike maybe got tired. Both were happy to rest a bit.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
  10. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    I'll agree it's not a hot rod like my 605 ATK was or any of the liter bikes I've had. 3 times the fuel range and ability to carry a load up and over the mountains on gravel roads like a pack horse are what I bought mine for, so far so good. :gerg
  11. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    It was: lighter, easier in the woods, better suspension even compared with the upgraded klr.
    On the other hand the 650 felt more planted on fast speed fireroads and, at that time, it had good power.

Actually I don't regret buying the 650, but it wasn't well suited for the use I intendet it for.
    In late eighties XRRs and TTs were the weapon for woods and fire roads, with some dual sport attitude; and the japanise twins, such as Africa Twin or Super Ténéré were better "duals", with more touring usability.
    Then there were Huskies and KTM 4 strokes, and a new kind of woods bikes emerged... :norton
  12. bankska11

bankska11 Where are we?

Oddometer:
    As a somewhat newbie at this sport, I did and still do tons of reading on these forums about that bike vs. this bike. The overwhelming theme on the KLR is that they do everything good, but nothing excellent. For my rookie skills and the riding I enjoy- exploring country dirt roads, gravel, logging roads, firebreaks, very little highway, adventure camping, etc. my 2009 KLR is absolutely perfect. I would agree that if you're looking for something to show off your skills blowing through the woods on a single track or spending retirement riding the world, then a KLR is probably not the right machine. Again, I love mine and regardless of whether or not my skills and style of adventure will eventually lead me to another bike, my stable will always include a KLR.
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Did someone say it was naptime?

[​IMG]
  14. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a good one. A simple confirmation.

A clear example of narcissism and deep romantic psychological KLR envy. Cant stand it that others may be happy with their purchases and have no regrets. Of those who have no need to try to impress others and have no desire to go to other bike sites and tell their riders off, but simply enjoy their KLR's.

We KLR owners feel for you and your condition. :D
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Lot'sa psycho- analizing going on from the KLR'istas,deep inferiority complex can lead to all sorts of desperate pleas for help. :D
  16. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    Maybe sand is a more acceptable reason for going down than rocks for some of you. Again, it's not about the bikes inabilities, it's the rider. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Footdragger, you know you want one..........:D
  17. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True enough. When you crash in sand it is almost always from lack of speed and/or throttle. Same for really loose gravel. Until I learned to keep them pinned in sand I crashed more on light weight small bore bikes than on big, high powered motorcycles.

Of course the flip side to that was the dune jumping incident on a Pig Horn when I ran out of dunes and found myself way up in the air over hard packed beach. That one still hurts on rainy days.
  18. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you do not articulate your motivation, purpose, and goal(s) in putting down KLRs, some speculative analysis might be expected, Foot dragger!

Pathetic, IMHO; feelings of inadequacy and sufficiently low self-esteem, precipitating the trashing of others' choices. Not to mention the delusional grandiosity, presuming to dictate to others what they should regret (never having owned a KLR yourself).

Will denigrating the preferences and choices of others elevate the wisdom and endorse the self-righteousness of your own? I doubt it.

Your fan has testified to your profound riding skills (which I do not doubt); your tag-team KLR-bashing website partner is an extremely wealthy man (by disclosures in his own posts); does your profound riding expertise, and his great wealth, entitle you two to put down (arrogantly) KLRs and their owners in the context of this thread? Not without some critical analytical response, I think.

Yet, narcissistic snobs, self-styled elitists, need understanding . . . and pity.

I shall make a contribution to an appropriate institution.

:rofl
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Hey Tsotie- I'll bet if one of them die hard orange guys tried following you around on a sun up to sun down ride that by the end of the day they would be begging for a KLR.

I love KTM'S as long as I can trailer it to and from the trailhead.
    I sure don't want to ride them long distance.
    Everything is a trade off.

That reminds me of some tough Harley guys saying they don't carry rain gear.
    I said,"Yeah,but you don't ride in the rain" They didn't say anymore.

I'll bet alot of the KTM guys don't put many road miles on their bike,so of course would benefit from the off road performance.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Another too long to read post.:rofl

But in general,nobody is putting down KLR's,merely stating the obvious.
    Like a DR/XL/CRFL/DRZ,They are all bikes built to a price designed to be average and sell well. Many buy a KLR/DR/DRZ/XRL and love it,many move on to other more performance oriented machinery.