Anyone riding with a fused ankle?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by gbx2001, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a little over 90 days since surgery. Final (3rd) cast came off a week ago and I'm in a walking boot when mobile and a lace-up brace the rest of the time.

Leg had atrophied and couldn't support weight. Needed crutches for the first 2 days, a cane for 3 days and now I'm walking in the boot unassisted.

No ankle pain, really, but it gets sore after walking. Taking ibuprofen now and again but no other meds.

So far, so good. Scars look great! I'm increasing the time and distance I walk and it gets easier every day. I plan to remain in the boot for another 3 weeks as I practice driving and try to shove my foot into a real shoe.

I can see that I won't have much mobility at the fused area and that sucks. But I have good side-to-side movement the front portion still works.

I'm happy with the surgery and progress so far.
  2. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. It sound like you are making good progress. I'm still stalling on it.
  3. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here to answer any questions.

While it's still to be seen if the limited mobility limp was worth losing the constant pain, I'd recommend this surgery to anyone.

Caveat: I followed the doctor's instructions to a tee (elevated and stayed off my ankle for 90 days) to give the surgery the maximum chance of success.
  4. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Why 3 casts? One a month? I'm not worried about scars since I have a pretty good one from the original surgery when I smashed the ankle. Mostly I'm afraid the bones won't fuse since I have severe osteoporosis. Plus I can still stand the pain, so don't want to do anything too drastic yet.
  5. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. One cast would come off, x-rays would be taken and another cast would be put on.

I used a doctor-prescribed bone stimulator for 3 hours every day. It's supposed to help with bone growth and may be something to look into.

And, yeah, I wanted to get the surgery done and overwith while 1. I'm still fairly young, 2. Before the pain too great (it was getting bad), and 3. While my bones were strong enough to recover.
  6. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    OK, off to google bone stimulators... I'm not young (72) so that may be a factor for me.
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    This thread really strikes a nerve (no pun intended) - almost five weeks ago I crashed while riding my big bike, went down hard onto my left at great speeds and the entire weight of my bike landed on the inside of my left ankle (extended footpegs - never again) and tried to hook and twist me around. Went to the hospital and then the fracture clinic within days and two weeks after the crash, I underwent surgery to screw my tibia and fibula together right above the talus bone. I had some bone breaks which the screws addressed as well but the real problem is the ligament that holds the tibia and fibula together at a precise distance as they hover over the talus bone; it was torn (in the middle, not where it connects to the bones thankfully). Three screws later, I had my follow up to my surgery two weeks after and found out I'm in my air cast and crutches until mid to end of March - zero weight on my left leg...zero. Once I'm back to walking I'll need to wait three more months for the second surgery to remove the screws and add so,e more stitches to that ligament for additional reinforcement. Ugh, this sucks...speedy recovery to those on this thread with what appears to be much more serious work on your ankles...I can only imagine how brutal it is for you.
  8. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Oh that hurts to even read! Sorry to hear. If you need a visit from somebody who tore out all the ligaments and tendons when I wrecked my ankle, give me a shout. I'll whine a lot about how bad mine was, if it will make you feel any better.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Sounds much worse than my predicament - still, with this bullshit and winter here, I'm feeling rather crappy...
  10. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Well it is a good story at least. I could visit you next week if you want. I'm heading to Denver on the 17th, and will be back Jan. 1st. I rode in Portugal this fall with friends from NS. They had an accident on their way back to the rental place in Lisbon and were in hospital there for 6 weeks before they could be flown back to NS (still in hospital there.) The thing they were most grateful for was the visits from the Portugese Motorcycle Club.
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    If you're passing through then by all means, drop by for a visit - there's lots going on in the garage at least: my friend and I are converting his 950adv to fuel injection and I've got various projects beginning on my 950 super enduro - at least turning wrenches will keep me sane :)
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Technically, those last 4 posts should've been in PMs or in the ADV Personals section: Men seeking Men.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Lol - a "bromance"?
  14. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Take a look at my avatar. I'm female.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Does that mean we can't be bros?

Look at my avatar - I'm an asshole...:)
  16. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Well we certainly can be assholes.
  17. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Not visiting anyone this week. I have a rotten cold and you don't want me anywhere near you. See you in Jan.
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Happy holidays and feel better
  19. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just an update on how I'm doing 4 months after fusion surgery:

The last cast came off right at the 90-day mark. I went into a walking boot with crutches for a week, then a walking boot without crutches.

I've been back to work and walking on my own two feet with a brace/wrap and special shoes I bought (MBT "rocker soles") for the past 2 1/2 weeks. The Masai Barefoot Technology shoes (see photo) IMG_1079.JPG are costly but definitely help. I've noticed a decrease in the limp I still have. Yeah, I'm still sore a bit, but nothing ibuprofen can't help.

I plan to be back on my bike in a couple days, riding into work this Friday. We shall see.

All in all I'm very pleased with the progress I've made. The key--for me--was to follow the doctor's orders to a Tee. That made all the difference, in my case, I think.
  20. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's great news. Walk on!