Anyone riding with a fused ankle?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by gbx2001, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update and some opinions on the surgery:

I'm up to walking about a mile 3 times a week. Yesterday, I had no limp at all.

As promised, I'm 100% pain free. Still sore, but not the daily pain I was experiencing.

I usually wear a brace, either a lace-up one they gave me or a neoprene one I bought. I can wear wear any shoes I want now, though I prefer the MBT shoes; I've bought two pair.

Just started physical therapy and it's coming along OK. Just trying to get mobility and flexibility back.

Have ridden all 3 of my bikes now and I only have the slightest issue with rear braking. I plan on doing a 5-day AZ ride in April then some Baja stuff this summer, so I hope I'm close to 100% by then.

My recommendations to anyone considering this surgery: Do it. Put time aside to recuperate properly, ensuring you won't have to put any weight at all on it for 90 days (or whatever your doctor says. And speaking of doctors, I followed his instructions to the T...and I do think that's why my ankle is doing so well.
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I haven't read thru this thread and apologize if this has already been suggested...
    Stunters use a left hand rear brake (LHRB) and I have one on my dirt bike, along with a Rekluse clutch.
    Both something to consider.
    Edit: read that you are recovering :clap
    For me, rear brakes on a road bike are for parking lots and other low speed use.
    jmo
    :lol3
  3. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get back to as close to 100% as I can. Driving was weird at first, but the gas pedal motion is coming back with a bit of modification. Same with the rear brake. With big Sidi bonds on, it's easy. With sneakers, it takes some effort. Still working on that but I see daily progress.

(Just glad I don't have to kick over a YZ490...)
  4. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. I'm still dreaming of no limp and pain free. Keep at the PT. 100% is a great goal!
    Dan Diego likes this.
  5. phillyrube

phillyrube Leading Chief

Oddometer:
    Bring this back with a new post I'm trying to get merged with this one.

Question on the MBT Gobis. Do you get any good sole support? aI need a really rigid sole, due to trimalleolar fractures.
  6. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Subtalar fusion(one from my rather extensive x-ray portfolio) from paragliding off Black Tusk in 91. Foot loves being in my riding boots
    Plus I can stand on the pegs all-day riding my Stelvio. Plus, that fibula is fused at the knee from the same.....landing.
  7. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh....Vit
    Plus Vitamin A..... Advil, Asprin, Aleve, ASA.......
    Hollyr likes this.