Anyone tried these VMX brand rims on a GS/A?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by iCD55, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:24 PM.

1. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    I have been considering some new wire rims for my 2017 1200GS. While Woody's Wheel Worx seems to be the "go to" source for these, I came across these VMX brand rims for the R1200:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMX-3-0-19...rentrq:a6ed3de71730aad9817d4e0affded842|iid:1

https://vmx-racing.com/

They claim to be from the same factory (China I would expect) that BMW uses for the stock rims. (Hmmmm :hmmmmm)

I've seen some chatter elsewhere in the dirt bike world that sounded like they are of decent quality. Seems that they are branded as VMX and KKE rims.

Anyone with any experience using these rims?
    pistole likes this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    If you're gonna spend $2k for these.. you might as well spend abit more and get the Woody Wheels that are proven, domestic, and supported... and much stronger than OEM..
    Djunta and slow24 like this.
  3. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Check the flea market - parts subforum for what's available and/or post WTB ad - you may be able to find OE or Woody's set for similar money if not less...

There was recently a set of black wire-spoked wheels off of LC GS/A available for $1500-1600 which may be better buy than those chinesium wheels - ymmv... :deal
  4. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    sellers feedback isn’t that great, especially for a risk on a product at that price.
    I’d take a gamble on a chinesium cover or guard etc,
    but something that could lead to a long walk, nah, not for me.

straight away I wouldn’t trust bearing quality, corners gotta be cut somewhere to match price.
    Then trusting spoke tension. Just too unknown for peace of mind.

Edit, forgot, the script and Diction here, may reflect the level of quality. Dunno.
    https://vmx-racing.com/pages/about-us

37BF948D-8F7B-47A8-BCDA-E06272482C97.jpeg
    bajaburro and ExodusRider like this.
  5. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone's gotta go first. No way to know without trying.
  6. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're OEM suppliers for the likes of BMW etc. Don't forget things like the 850 is entirely made in China.
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  7. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    sorry, I didn’t mean to bag them because they were made in China.
    Just that corners get cut to sell to a price, usually during assembly or ancillary parts.
    No one sells to break even.

heck, years ago I used to work at Ford on the spanners.
    I was one of those lazy, cut corner mechanics working on new cars.
    They’re everywhere, I was one of them, that’s not country based.
    Pride in your work, is pride in your work, I didn’t have it, I just wanted the $$
  8. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    Seller feedback not great? Where are you seeing that?

Sorry but I am seeing the "99% positive" feedback for the seller on ebay... and I expect that to be that coming from sales of rims they sell for other "dirt" bikes (the BMW set seems to be a new release...) Some reviews I dug up elsewhere doing a search for VMX or KKE provided only some vague "seems ok" reviews...
  9. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    99% for me is bad feedback on eBay.
    If you click on the sales count and then click negative and neutral feedback for last 12 months,
    it’s not great feedback when you read it.
    You can see what else they sell or have sold.
    They also sell a lot of cheap stuff to get the positive feedback when you click on positive feedback and read it.

if I was spending close to $2k I’d want about 99.7 or higher.
    I’d take a gamble on something cheap, but when you read negative feedback it can give you an idea of what the seller is like to deal with as well, if something goes wrong.

the item could be fine, but at 99%, for me personally, I would not risk it for wheels.
  10. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    99% positive is bad feedback? Wow, that's a pretty high benchmark... 99.7% required? Interesting number... Well anyway, we need not debate whether this seller is reputable or not here but I do take the point that their feedback is on "other products" (including btw rims for other bikes).

It would appear that very few people have actually tried these rims on the 1200 so I do agree that that fact in and of itself makes this a risky proposition.