Anyone try the new Rev'it Sand 3 suit?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GSDonovan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. GSDonovan

GSDonovan There and back again

Oddometer:
    I ordered one yesterday...they are just hitting the shores here. They have been available in Europe for a little bit, I think. Based on the Revzilla video, its supposed to have improved armor and materials...be more durable...and significantly more ventilation than the Sand 2. I've been using the Klim Overland the last couple of years, but am looking for something that is going to be cooler in warmer months (Goretex is too hot for me and too few vents on that suit). I don't mind putting on a rainsuit for the very few long rides in heavy rain that I do, otherwise, the under jacket liner system works for me. Finally, the Overland fit wasn't great for me...it was very boxy and loose fitting. Good for wearing tons of layers in the winter, but not good in warmer months.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has seen the Sand 3 in person yet. I guess I'll get mine soon enough...I'll post a review.

Attached Files:

spokester and docjekyll2002 like this.
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i got the sand 3 pants last week. the ventilation is a huge improvement in them over the sand 2s. i'm not crazy about the double layered knees, but so far there's more pros than cons in them for me.

[​IMG]
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  3. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I'm extremely interested in this suit. Yes please post some real life pics and a review
  4. GSDonovan

Oddometer:
    Lookin good....I got the silver suit as well. Figuring it might be better in the heat by a tad. I heard in the video they went to two layers of 500d cordura vs. one layer of a 1000d...I suppose with the new armor it would be fine.

5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm also very interested. I'd like to replace my Rev'it Outback with something that flows a bit more air for those 45* mornings with 70* afternoons.

And that blue is drop dead gorgeous.
  6. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, i dig the urban beige, but my sand 2 jacket is still in good enough shape that i can't justify the cost.
  7. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for ventilation, then AVOID EVERYTHING that opens up with a straight zipper. It doesn't work. I could forget to zip up a vent in cold temps and not even realize it, same for hot temps.

You want to remove large panels for the air to hit straight in a 3d mesh.
    The original sand could at least fold the vent in triangle. sand 2/3 don't.

You might want to look at Dainese D-Explorer, this vents for real.
  8. GSDonovan

Oddometer:
    Yeah for humid mid 80s or up I use BMW Airflow 3 jacket...its awesome. The Sand will be for all months other than July and August (typically).

9. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly the sand 3 looks interesting. I like the idea being able to close vents in cooler mornings and open them up in hot afternoons. This is where mesh falls flat.

I think it's ugly as hell in the white but looks ok in the black. I can't wear black in my climate.

This looks identical in función to the Klim Apex air really except I love the revit CE-2 armor. I just got the discovery boots in and I'm thrilled.

Also reviews on your size and how it fits would be a big help.
  10. GSDonovan

Oddometer:
    Ha, I like the white...wearing black in summer makes me think I'm wearing a fur coat...ie, it just ain't right, LOL. Just checked tracking, getting the suit today, so I'll post up on how it fits relative to my size specs.

flux_capacitor likes this.
  11. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I agree the Urban is really cool looking, but I just can't figure out why its $50 more than the Sand 3, with less features and a lesser armor.
  12. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

The blue makes me wish I had a blue bike haha. Its a cool color!
  13. GSDonovan

Oddometer:
    SO...I got my XL jacket and XL pants today. They fit very well, I thought...with all the liners in, it was very bulky feeling and SUPER warm in my house. The materials felt sturdy..the zippers were very beefy. There is a lot of adjustability in the suit. I am 6' and weight 215lbs, fairly athletic build, narrow hips, 32" inseam, 36" waist, typically wear a large to Xl in shirts...jean size is typically 36" waist x 32" length, size 44R suit jacket size. The pants were a tad long with no boots on but would be perfect on the bike. There was plenty of room in the gut area (and I'm no slim jim in that department). But with the side and arm adjusters, its easy to cinch everything up once the liners are out to make it fit nicely. Same with the pants...I liked the unique slide button on the pants. The vent zippers work very smoothly. Armor felt significantly better than the D30 stuff. The new back armor that you buy separately...Seesoft, I think its called, was very impressive, much thicker and more coverage than the D30 armor I had in my Klim. BUT all that being said...I'm sending it all back. I asked my wife to help me tighten the side adjusters on the jacket...when she started to pull on the of the buckles to tighten it up, it RIPPED...the end of the adjuster strap ripped out and tore the jacket. :becca She didn't seem to use much force at all. Very disappointed. Maybe its a fluke...but it makes you wonder about the rest of the jacket. Is it going to hold up in a get off? 20170217_171941.jpg

Attached Files:

Kincop and docjekyll2002 like this.
  14. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I watched the video review of the jacket, I was extremely surprised that the guy in the video was wearing a Large given his size. I'm similarly sized at 6'1" and 200lbs, and I have a Rev'It Outback in XL which is pretty darn tight with all the liners. Did they stuff him into it?
  15. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have a Sand 2 in XXL. I am 6'-1" and weigh 210 pounds. Wear a 44 jacket. The XL fit w/o the liners. The XXL w/o the liners adjusts tightens up to fit. I am still getting used to the left side zipper slider. Dos the Sand 3 have the slider on the left? The vents on the Sand 3 do look bigger. Wish I had that but then I have a mesh jacket.
  16. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kit interests me a lot. Look forward to hearing more. I love the tan color and cannot understand why they wouldn't make matching pants.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  17. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking very hard at the Sand 3 Suit, but I've been swayed to the Olympia X-Moto 2. I like the looks of the vents much more, and I think being able to throw the (internal) rain suit on over the outside is convenient in the hot whether.
    Did you compare them? Any selling points that pushed you to the Sand 3?
    Shaolin likes this.
  18. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Well DAMN that is freaky.
  19. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Well in the end, as much I love that blue, I decided to splurge on a Sand 2 jacket and pants. The clearance prices are too good to pass up.
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    How many of these jackets will not be sold because of people seeing this one issue of poor quality control? Dozens? Hundreds?