anyone use ACF-50?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by AlexSonoma, Aug 17, 2014.

1. AlexSonoma

AlexSonoma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried to search the forum but it didn't like me. Has anyone used ACF-50 on their airhead to prevent corrosion? I recently moved to San Diego and notice that metal corrodes very quickly here. Want to protect my motorcycle from the salty air and have read good things about this product but thought I'd ask the experts.
  2. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. We use it in the marine world regularly.

[​IMG]

Also, T-9 Boeshield is good. All of those guys make light spray stuff, and some heavy spray for waterproofing electrical connections (orangey-brown gooey and ugly!).

[​IMG]

:D
  3. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I swear by it and dose my airheads in it every year. It's the only product I've found that protects against our salt laden roads.

A big plus is it treats rubber.

Don't be too exuberant putting it on. It creeps and forms a film over whatever it's put on.

I prefer the litre bottles with the pump sprayer to the aerosol cans. One litre bottle coated four bikes for two years so it's far more cost effective.

application advice for bikes on the bottom of this page http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

we also have ride in centres where they'll treat your bike for you http://allyearbiker.co.uk/treatment
  4. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Noted, I'm going to try this stuff sometime!

Sounds like vapor blasting and then an application of ACF-50 would be the way to make an Airhead engine casing look "new" again.
  5. Thorazine

Thorazine Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer:
    Lanesplittin Valhalla--Southern California
    When I bought my Airhead about 2 1/2 years ago, the entire engine was spray painted silver :puke1. (Don't ask--I'm still trying to forget that nightmare). I Eventually stripped it all off with a wire brush. and really like the way it turned out, but also know it may look funky in a couple years. Even though I don't live near salt water, would this ACF 50 help me in my situation?
  6. Thorazine

Thorazine Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer:
    Lanesplittin Valhalla--Southern California
    Yup. Steel wire. Didn't know about the dangers until later. It's been ridden in the rain (and sitting all day getting dumped on in the work parking lot) a few different times since, and exposed to bouts of humidity as well. So far no signs of rust spotting from any brush bits still embedded. Or maybe that comes still Peter. We'll see.

Will take your advice, thanks!
  7. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a vapour blaster. Phenomenal piece of kit but you also need to invest in some serious ultrasonic equipment to clean out the beads afterwards. I'd wash parts down so there was no obvious trace of beads, put the part in the ultrasonic cleaner and still end up with a pile of beads at the bottom of the tank. You have to be so careful with the process.

Real nice finish though

[​IMG]
  8. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    This is why I wash my engine every other year whether it needs it or not. Develops this patina that looks like cr@p no matter what is on it. :D

So ACF-50 seems to be the 21st Century edition of Cosmoline? Wunnerful stuff-- they used to dip VWs in it for the boat ride over.

--Bill
  9. Clay Spinner

Clay Spinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the UK I purchased my cans of acf-50 from bike shops.... in Canada bike shops don't seem to know what it is and I therefore source it from our local international airport... dig around the 'industrial units' usually half a mile out and you'll find a unit that has heaps of it. Also works out quite cheap buying it this way! If you dig around you'll find it.

As mentioned, it 'creeps' so a thin coat will cover everything. It will attract dirt and dust so a spray off with a hose after a ride will suffice... but the bike will look grubby by the end of winter (if you can ride pretty much year around). Once all of the salt is washed away from the roads I would wash the bike off with a cleaner... quick spray, wipe then a good soaking with water. Your bike will look like new again. Reapply (warm the acf-50 can is some warm water so it 'runs' better) and you're good for another year.
  10. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd not heard of ACF until now. Back when I was riding year round in Vermont, I sprayed everything that could corrode with CRC 5-56. I let the dirt saturate the surface, then spray it again. When Spring arrived-about June-I'd wash it off. The bare aluminum would look better than it did the preceding Fall.
  11. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    While we's talking about the good stuff.... Kroil makes a terrific creeping-get-the-rust-out spray....thin stuff, but it do work!

[​IMG]

:evil

...and since I work in the marine industry, I figure that stuff that is used to protect against salt spray and corrosion is probably pretty durn good for the rain-soaked electrical connections on the ole bike.... this stuff is not pretty, but it sure works well!

[​IMG]

..... and btw anything that Yamaha makes for their outboard engines is, by definition, good stuff!

[​IMG]

:)
  12. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shipped a 69 Bonneville to a friend in England and he requested that I coat bike in it. Arrived there looking great and he was happy. Said it smoked a fair bit the first time he fired it up and got it hot. :)
  13. Bushmaster1111

Bushmaster1111 n00b

Oddometer:

We use stainless steel wire brushes and skirt that problem because their non ferrous, and as far as acf50 goes it's the best corrosion imullsifier/prevention product out there! If it's good enough for military helicopters it's good enough for your bike

Bushmaster
  14. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    That may just mean they were the lowest bidder, not necessarily the best available :deal

Dave
  15. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you guys buy the stuff?
  16. brittrunyon

brittrunyon 1992 R 100 GS

Oddometer:
    +1

Any before & after images out there?
    Just curious :lurk
  17. Rob Farmer