1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use BMW roadside assistance?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ydarg, Dec 12, 2017.

1. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used it and have experiences to share (good/bad)?

My OEM battery died last Friday night (10.8V on display) and after getting someone to agree to try to jump it with zero luck, I decided to use BMW to come tow the bike home...no one was home, it was dark, lots of excuses but it made sense at the time.

Long story still long, the roadside people agreed to have the bike towed six miles to my house since the dealer was 20+ miles away and closed. I waited for over three hours and got about five different excuses from the tow company as to what was taking so long when the text I got from BMW said the ETA was 30 minutes. This all started around 6PM. Finally made it home close to 10 and I too-late-smart decided I should have just gotten an Uber and come back with my truck and trailer.

Roadside person called to check on me several times during all this and could tell I was getting frustrated. I will say the tow operator who showed up was good. He took his time and let me help get the pig loaded and strapped down on the rollback, asked me how I wanted it strapped down, etc.

A couple of days later, I get a call from the BMW people again. Without even saying anything, she tells me they will check to see why the tow company didn't show when they promised, and will ultimately consider whether they want to use that company in the future. Also completely surprised me when they offered me a $250 check for all the trouble.

All that said, I wouldn't use it again unless it was a last resort.
  2. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    This was one of the features I used to rationalize buying the F7, so your story is interesting. Given that all these roadside assistance programs rely on local subs, I guess this kind of thing is going to happen. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that BMW was so engaged, though.
    dharmadan likes this.
  3. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    I have used it once...

Some a-hole hit my bike parked in front of the house (wound up being totaled...so they really hit it hard)

Towed from the house to the shop. The first scheduled Pickup driver cancelled, roadside called me to apologize and the 2nd was there in less than 30 minutes. All total I waited about 1.25 hours. The bike was well protected and strapped in well.

Could have been quicker, but then again the only other time I needed road side assistance was on a cross country trip with my jeep. The advertised gas station was not there and no way I was making it to the next. that took 2 plus hours using USAA's road side assist.

I think it is truly up to the tow truck driver.
  4. Telekinesis

Telekinesis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would put that more on the tow company, not on BMW. BMW is more of a facilitator - they're not the ones actually coming to pick you up. Seems like they did a pretty good job (apart from choosing the wrong tow company). Calling to check on you and sending you a check for your time is much more than I would have expected.

I really think it's a problem with the tow company/driver. I don't hold them in very high regard though, I had one driver disappear for about 4 hours with my BMW (car, not bike) after I was rear ended.
    dharmadan and scfrank like this.
  5. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called them once. Never again. I had come out of work at the end of the day to discover a flat tire, with damage which couldn't be plugged. I called the number I had in the paperwork. The person who answered asked for a description of the problem, vehicle type and location. I told them: flat tire, 2005 R1200RT, WNY. After a few moments of silence they came back and said they couldn't find R1200RT and wanted to know what type of CAR it was. I told them it was a motorcycle. They said, oh, you've called BMW Auto roadside assistance, let me transfer you to Motorcycle roadside assistance. (Keep in mind I called the number in THEIR motorcycle roadside assistance pamphlet).

After a few moments another person comes on the line:

Them: ....problem, vehicle type, location

Me: ...flat, R1200RT, WNY

Them: (after a few moments) ....can't find R1200RT....what type of car is that?

Me: ..it's a MOTORCYCLE....:fpalm

Them: ......you called BMW Auto roadside assistance, I'll transfer you to.....

Me: (hung up without waiting for anyone to come back on the line.)

I called my local BMW Dealership (motorcycle, not auto) and told them the story. They arranged a pickup and transport to their location and sent the charges to BMW Roadside assistance (..I'll assume motorcycle assistance and not auto assistance.)
    dharmadan, Jarlaxle and TT RDHS like this.
  6. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they said they now offer Uber or lyft. “Just lock the keys in the vehicle and we’ll tow it unattended.” Um, it’s a bike, not a car.

Plus, after seeing this in action, there’s no way the tow truck driver could do it alone. They aren’t allowed to winch bikes into the truck and he had no wheel chock. It was literally strapped in position in 4 places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pabst likes this.
  7. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    my BMW blew its rod(s)/bolt(s) on PCH in malibu.

I waited and waited. after 2 hours I had my wife drive our pickup so I can take the bike home. about 3 hours they called and said they were on the way.

worthless.

I have used my AAA plus RV for a tow once. took 30 mins to get a flat bed to take my bike home.
    Pabst likes this.
  8. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a similar experience to the OP except with the AMA service. The chain broke on my wife's bike. We waited probably three hours, called them back several times, we even gave them the exact exit number. When the truck got there, it was pitch black, wife was a little scared, and very unhappy. The driver said they sent him to an exit over fifteen miles away and they just kept sending him to the wrong places until he finally called me direct.
  9. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take that BMW money and-----RUN,RUN FOREST RUN!
  10. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience with AMA. I was broken down in Central Illinois about 96 miles north of Carbondale and about that many miles from anywhere else, too. It took about 4 hours before the flatbed tow truck arrived. The person at Roadside assistance said they had trouble finding anyone that would pick up a bike, but they did keep calling me back with updates. He said he left as soon as he was called, and did a great job. He was surprised that I was still there. He said most riders just leave their bikes and he has to deal with it alone; that is why it is so hard to find someone. I helped him load it and had a great conversation all the way to Carbondale (100 mile limit), where I got a U-Haul pickup truck, and he positioned the bed of the tow truck to let me load it straight into the pickup.
    Tipped him 20 bucks.
    dharmadan, Rockred and Macho Man2 like this.
  11. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in '09, I rode my then-brand-new GSA from NC to California. On the way back, my clutch slave cylinder started dying. About 50 miles from Las Cruces, performed its last duty but , being late in the day, I managed to get to a hotel. I called BMW Roadside around 6:00 from my room, described the issue and they first question the rep asked was, "Are you in any danger?" The next morning, a roll-back was at the hotel at 9:00 AM and took me and the bike to the dealership in Albuquerque. They had the part in stock and got me going in fairly short order. There was a caveat, though . . . it started snowing like crazy so I got another hotel room. BMW covered the repair/roll-back and reimbursed for the hotel rooms. I was satisfied.

Mike
  12. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't had to use the roadside assistance because I had a flat pulling into my driveway and didn't need it, but I did use the Platinum part of the free tire replacement. I called the toll free number, gave her my member number and she gave me a code to use to start my case. I called my dealer and gave him the number. He ordered my tire and said he would call me when it came in. They called 2 days later and I chose to just take the rear tire off my RT and take it to them. Mounted and balanced, I got a new tire $157.00 and $60.00 labor for free. I'm sold and will renew in May of next year.
    dharmadan likes this.
  13. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    My take is that if I REALLY need the service and I have to wait... still better than being stranded.

The tire replacement is also a reason I am a member. It's funny though, when I was a broke collage student I seemed to get a lot of nails and screws in my tires... Not so much any more. (knock on wood)

FTR, my worst was replacing a tire before class, riding from the shop to class (3 miles away)... getting off the bike and noticing a large nail in the sidewall of the brand new tire. :doh
  14. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Fortunately I have not had the need. Inshalah!
  15. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    mikegc likes this.
  16. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I kind of wonder if the tow services want BMW roadside to confirm payment before rolling out a truck and BMW is slow at their end as well. Or there are so few towing services willing to pu a bike.
  17. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I'd be willing to bet it's because very few tow companies have a truck equipped to tow a bike (chock, dolly, whatever).

The rollback that came for mine had zero stuff for a bike. If I hadn't been there, there's no way he would have gotten it loaded or unloaded by himself. No chock, no dolly, he said they aren't allowed to winch bikes on...the two of us pushed it up the inclined bed and I held it in place while he got the bed flat again and strapped down the bike in four corners.
    dharmadan and Macho Man2 like this.
  18. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the roadside assistance companies use the same tow services. That's why AMA's roadside service is such a good deal in comparison to AAA's. It's the same tow services, but at a much lower cost.

Chris
    dharmadan and Macho Man2 like this.
  19. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I renewed my AAA road service membership today. It's their RV+ that gets me a 100 mile tow for our cars and any motorcycle plus other services. It cost my wife and me $137 for a full year.
  20. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had the wrong number.
    Macho Man2 likes this.