Anyone use BMW roadside assistance?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ydarg, Dec 12, 2017.

1. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would agree I had the wrong number. However it was the number THEY gave me, printed inside their Motorcycle Roadside Assistance pamphlet. Then, their employee was unable to successfully transfer the phone call to the correct number.
  2. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    If it makes you feel better, they definitely didn't know I was calling about a bike at first. "Is the car off the road?" "What color is the car?"
  3. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, the joys of Buy Mor Warranty ownership!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    dharmadan and Pabst like this.
  4. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand the frustration.
  5. lam@advf

lam@advf Yes, I am socially disabled

Oddometer:
    So does anyone have the right toll free number?

Throw it up here so all the BMW NA riders can call the right people. (or another number for another region)
  6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a crapshoot. In your case: the phone people weren't worth crap.
  7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Having been a tow jockey, the reason is simple: bike-towing stuff is PRICEY. (And tends to walk away.) I have towed bikes with a ramp truck-no special gear, just a bunch of tie straps. Had a really nervous guy with a brand new Harley once, and I rolled up in a ratty C35 rollback with mismatched (one white, one maroon, on a bright-red cab) doors. I could have done it solo, though I'm the first to say it is much easier with 2 people. We tied it down (I recall to the top of the engine guard and the rear panniers mounts), I put a strap from the headache rack to the tire to keep the steering straight, and it didn't budge in about a 50-mile tow. After his third glance, I moved the inside mirror so he could watch his bike with it. :lol3
    ydarg and Macho Man2 like this.
  8. MrO66

MrO66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2016 GSA, had to use it on the return leg of my AK / Can trip headed back toward Denver, CO. Pulled into Valley View, AB, front wheel bearings were shot. I called the number listed on the little card that came w/ the bike, was hopefull everything would work smoothly. I had already looked on the Nav V, nearest BMW shop was located in Edmonton, AB (217 miles away). The process was painless, I spent 10 min on the phone, provided my location, VIN, and what the issue was, I was kept up to date via text messages. The bike was loaded onto a flatbed and we were headted to Edmonton in less than 90 minutes. Driver said the tow price quoted was 1500.00 CDN, I ddin't pay anything, the shop in Edmonthon (Argyll Motorsports) frontloaded me the next morning, diagnosed the issue, replaced the bearing and had me back on the road by 11:30am. Can't say enough about the great service from BMW Roadside and the BMW dealer.
    dharmadan, ontrip, Macho Man2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used them this last July.
    I was on I-80 in Utah heading east, a rock hit my radiator so I'm on the side of the road.
    I called AAA and BMW roadside both.
    They both had trouble finding a company that would come get the bike (I was still 75 miles from Salt Lake City.
    A local stopped to check on me and give me some water (Thanks) and he told me of a company that would come get the bike.
    I called AAA and BMW again. The BMW people did hook up with them and send them my way.
    I did still spend almost 5 hours on the side of the road total waiting for the tow.
    But in the end the bike made it to the closest BMW dealer and I was back on the road 25 hours after the bike was at the dealer.
    dharmadan and Macho Man2 like this.
  10. longjt

longjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    For all you FFs, here is the number in my Consumer Warranty Info booklet 2019 US m/c and scooters, dated 2018 on the back: 877 680 2176.

You're welcome. :-)
    dharmadan and Macho Man2 like this.
  11. pastor passum

pastor passum Reverend Noob

Oddometer:
  12. pastor passum

pastor passum Reverend Noob

Oddometer:
    I’ve only had to use BMW Roadside Assistance once. Back in 2006 I believe. We were traveling from North Carolina to the national rally in West Bend Wisconsin and then on to the Canadian Rockies. My 2005 GS blew the rear drive seal just outside Elkin West Va. I called Roadside Assistance and was advised a rollback would arrive within 30 minutes. Right! I told them I was on my way to the BMW National and could they tow the bike to a dealer in that direction. I have no idea if there were closer dealers or not but they towed my bike to a dealer just south of Indianapolis Indiana, close to 200 miles if memory serves correctly.
    The dealer didn’t have the seal in stock. This was Wednesday afternoon. He said he’d have the bike ready to go Saturday and suggested we (a friend was traveling with me on a GS) stay at the motel across the street, rent a car and continue on to the rally on BMW’s nickel, which we did. We loaded all out gear in the rental, drove to West Bend, enjoyed the rally and drove back to the dealer and picked up my bike. We were back at the rally by Sat. afternoon. I hate having trouble on the road but BMW came through. They paid the entire tab; tow truck, repairs, motel bill and car rental. The rest of the trip 6,700 miles total was great.
    dharmadan, Macho Man2 and mikegc like this.
  13. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    This was an interesting situation for me and in the end, the road-side helped me out a lot! I was on Vancouver Island - many hours from home - and separated by a long ferry ride. I ended up getting hit by a distracted teen (2 hours from the ferry terminal on my way coming home) which caused my bike to get lodged under her vehicle. I got a lift by ambulance to the hospital but my bike was left at the accident for which I had to find my way back to once out. I only suffered some soft tissue damage so, I was out within 12 hours - I was in okay shape all things considered. The bike was still there but, I wasn't able to ride it home as it was not only damaged but, I wasn't able to lift my arms. So, I had no idea what to do other than calling BMW. So, they came the next day (it was now a national holiday at the time and they weren't able to get a hold of any tow trucks to go as far as I was at the time) and towed it onto the ferry and back to Vancouver. They were going to tow it to the dealer on the island but, since I wasn't from there, they were okay with putting the bike onto the ferry, and getting it to my own/local-ish dealer. The cost of the trip would have cost me thousands of dollars but, they were great. Too bad ICBC (my insurance) are a bunch of crooks because BMW shouldn't have had to deal with it but, they did!

The fact that BMW has this AND their 3yr warranty makes buying another BMW so easy! Not too sure if I'd use them to fix a flat as I usually carry tools to fix a flat but, I was SO grateful at the time of my accident that they did what they did!
    dharmadan, pastor passum and mikegc like this.
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used this service for the first time yesterday, It came with the bike so why not. It's Memorial Day by the way, I try to put in a request through the iPhone App and due to a technical glitch, I had to call. I live in a remote area, only 2 tow services are reachable and neither have a Moto specific dolly. I told BMW that the bike started but the rear shock had failed. They said they'd take me to a dealer 95 miles away (closest) but my preferred dealer is MaxBMW and is 105 miles. They didn't put up a fight and dropped it there instead even though it exceeded the 100 mile limit. After we hung up, I started getting text alerts that the driver was located, en route and then arrived. which was nice.

While he was loading up the bike, I received a call from roadside that she had called the dealer and they were closed for Memorial Day and if I still wanted to be towed. I did and told them the tow truck driver would drop off the keys in their after hours box. I received another call from roadside once the bike was dropped off safely.

Response time took 30 minutes from the call starting to driver showing up. Couldn't have gone much better other than the driver had never towed a bike before and his first strap job was through the front wheel and over the exhaust pipe. I moved this to the lower fork clamps and upper subframe holes and gave the bike a bunch of pushes and it was good to go.
    [​IMG]
    dharmadan, pastor passum and mikegc like this.
  15. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just used it, they sent an f'd up flat bed for my brand new RT and all the guy had was chains to tie it down and wanted to drag it up with the cable and winch then asked that I push it up the 20' ramp at a 45 degree angle after I told him he's not tearing up my bike with a hook and cable to my wheel, I said no thank you! Lucky it broke at home! Called the dealer and they're sending a real bike tow truck, there's not a lot of places to tie down an RT without destroying paint and he refused to tie down aluminum bars.
    dharmadan likes this.
  16. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thankfully never had to use it in 8 years use of my F800r and kept renewing it every 2 years for piece of mind.

Hopefully will have the same luck with my new to me 2017 R1200R

This like most if not all Manufacturer Roadside programs is a complete contract including call center etc.

BMW is not on the line with you.
    dharmadan likes this.
  17. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And like most roadside programs they go with the cheapest bidder, or have set rates that only the most cut rate tow companies can survive on. This is a big reason why so many people hate towing companies, their experience is with the cut rate company their road side program sent out, and they don't even realize how cheap the tow is.
  18. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    A tow truck driver who specializes in motorcycle towing told me that--in the Bay Area anyway--tow companies will often decline the job if it's a BMW because the parts are so expensive should the drivers break something when loading and strapping the bike onto truck. Not sure what this says about skills of SF tow truck drivers.
    dharmadan likes this.
  19. azmouse76

azmouse76 n00b

Oddometer:
    I used BMW's Motorcycle Roadside today and it was simple and as easy as it could get.

I developed an oil leak from a rough ride and didn't want to ride it to the dealership. Dealership didn't have any pickup availability for another week and recommended BMW roadside since I was the original owner and covered by my warranty.

8am - Called 1-877-680-2176 - They asked the basics, name, address, year, make model and VIN. Very friendly.
    8:15am - Started gettings texts from BMW Roadside while I was still on the phone with them to confirm I was receiving their texts.
    8:20am - Got a call from the towing company
    9am - Flatbed tow truck with a motorcycle wheel chock arrived
    9:15a - Motorcycle was very well secured and on its way to the dealership for repair.
    10am - Got a text from BMW roadside letting me know the motorcycle as delivered as well as a call from the dealership acknowledging receiving.

I can and have had the unpleasantness of waiting hours for a tow to show up, and this was in my opinion as good as it could be.

Hope others are able to have a good experience!
  20. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had decent luck with the roadside service that the AMA offers with membership. But it probably more to do with who they send than the insurance provider. I've probably just been lucky. My longest wait has been about an hour.