Anyone use or try the Domio Helmet Audio device?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bicyclenut, Apr 24, 2018.

1. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Domio helmet audio system. Uses a conductive technology to make your helmet the speaker, in a way. Stumbled upon this when looking at headphone options. Chat with support says it works well with motorcycle helmets even when using earplugs. Interesting idea to use in place of a Sena, headphones or maybe even in combination with a Sena.

https://domiosports.com

https://domiosports.com
  2. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested too. A bit skeptical, but might give it a try.
  3. RockLAX

RockLAX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following, saw this recently too.
  4. bicyclenut

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and purchased after chatting with support online. Skeptical too, but figured I’d give it a try, could end up resolving issues of using Sena for multiple connections. Expecting to receive Saturday. Will try on my Shoei Quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    A ha, I did the same thing. I figure if it sucks I'll ship it back.
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to ya'alls review. This could be quite interesting.
  7. MoogLover

MoogLover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GIFT10 gets you $10 off
  8. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting, how would one connect a Sena to this?
  9. bicyclenut

Oddometer:
    I don't think you could connect a Sena to this. I'm thinking you could use an existing Sena for Intercom and Maybe Nav and use this for music. Or some other combination but it doesn't have an Intercom feature like a Sena so I don't see it as a replacement. I was told a microphone that works with it for phone use is due to be released by summer 2018 that will cost $60-70 and work with existing unit.
  10. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I listened to the sound track provided on the site. The one letting you hear inside the helmet, the outside sounds nearly drowns out the music. Sound as if it would be too loud inside the helmet. What this needs is noise cancellation tech to eliminate unwanted sound.

Rick G
  11. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. FunkyMad

FunkyMad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This stuff makes me think of bone conduction headphones. I tried a pair of those and the sound quality was pretty bad. I'm very skeptical of the outside/inside videos on their website.

Looking forward to the reviews as well! Please include videos guys!
  13. bicyclenut

Oddometer:
    Interesting, they talked about using it for NAV directions and that would be an alternate use I could fall back on at the price. Use Sena for phone, music and intercoms. Use this for NAV as I only use NAV on longer and group trips where Sena gets overburdened with audio. I guess I will soon see.

14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. AndyBoundy

AndyBoundy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arg!

I tried real carefully to make sure they were the same.

Sure hope Domi... the Canadian one, works well.
  17. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    You got the right one. The ad got the name wrong in the title, but it's correct in the description. The images also match early articles about it, but not the current offering on Domio's site.
  18. bicyclenut

Oddometer:
    My understanding is the one they are selling now is an improved design from the one on Amazon. I did see the review on Amazon but it was an old model.
  19. bicyclenut

Oddometer:
    Domio arrived this afternoon. Will not have a chance to test in real world until Sunday or Monday. Unit seems well built about same size as Sena 20s but maybe a bit heavier. It paired with my iPhone no problem. I just tested it by holding it onto my helmet in several locations and the volume was good and the sound quality at least as good as Sena sound maybe even more like my earbuds as the sound seems more surround that coming out of 2 speakers. More even when placed on top but works on one side or other as well. It can definitely be heard outside of helmet as my dogs were aware of music when I played around with it. Will have to see how well it works when wind and road noise are present. It did pair with my NAV5 but didn’t have time to see how it worked as battery on NAV died before it would get GPS to hear directions. To be continued after some real world use...[​IMG]

20. bicyclenut

Oddometer:
    Was able to test the Domio Helmet Audio today in the real world. Let me say I was skeptical yet very hopeful that this device would work for me. My initial impression of the unit when I received it was good, it appeared to have a build quality similar to a Sena, solid with 3 large tactile rubber buttons on top (power, volume up and volume down) with a rubber plug for the charging port and a mostly aero shape.

If you want the early spoiler, I can not recommend this based upon my use and configuration. Your experience may be different and I can see usage of this unit in other sports, etc. where it may work better. For me on a motorcycle, it just doesn’t work for me.

I mounted this on both my Bell Qualifier DLX and Shoei Quest helmets, in both I am running a Sena 20s with stock headphones and sometimes earbuds. I mounted the unit in the center behind the top of the helmet so that it was more out of the airflow over the top. This produced better stereo sound than mounting it on one side when I tested the different locations. I was able to pair the unit to both my iPhone and an older iPod via Bluetooth easily. It paired to my BMW NAV V but I was unable to hear any sound even though it showed paired. At home and when moving slow the sound is very good - bass is very deep and better than earphones or earbuds, treble became a bit crackly at higher volumes but not bad at regular volume. The sound was more immersive, like a home theater. It should be noted that you not only can hear the music inside the helmet, but outside the helmet as well, maybe not as clear, but I would think a car next to you with windows down might hear your music too.

Unfortunately, the good sound ends when you start to pick up speed and the wind and outside noise start to overcome the music and by 40-45MPH I could barely here the music on a 15mph windy day. To be fair I was wearing No Noise earplugs like I usually do and maybe this didn’t help, but I do the same with my Sena headphones and I can hear the music even at higher speeds, maybe not in hi fidelity sound, but audible most of the time. I actually stopped a few miles down the road switched off the Domio and turned back on the Sena and at the same speeds I was able to listen to music that I could not hear very well at all with the Domio Audio.

My other issue is the lack of sound from my NAV unit as this was a back up use of this device. And after using it and thinking of how I could use it with my Sena (if it had worked as I had hoped) a concern would be how to use 2 devices easily. If I was using the Domio and I was using the intercom feature with my riding buddies, would they hear my music all the time being played through my mic? Also, if using the Domio to play music and my Sena to use for phone and NAV, would I need to switch off or silence the Domio every time I received a call, as this would require manipulating the music player or turning off the unit mounted on my helmet. Not something I wanted to be doing when I am trying to focus on the road.

So for snowboarding or other sports where the engine noise, wind noise may not be such a factor, this device may be great, but for use on a motorcycle, I am just not finding it to work for me. I’ll contact the company and see what they say, maybe they’ll offer to allow me to return it, maybe not. I may be able to find a use for it somewhere else, but for now it’s back to the Sena with the headphones or earbuds.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    tkach, Sachou, sabestian and 3 others like this.