Anyone use or try the Domio Helmet Audio device?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bicyclenut, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your review. Sounds (pun intended) like this needs active noise cancellation.

Rick G
  2. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spoke with tech support, suggested I mount on side as should be better. I will try just to see if it helps. Certainly the Sena headphones are located close to ears. Also suggested earplugs but I was already using No Noise earplugs. Figure if I might ask to return I might as well give them the opportunity to troubleshoot issues.
  3. little foot

little foot seriously not serious Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice helmet
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got done testing mine ....in a nut shell: DON'T GET ONE.

I just did a test loop using it on my Klim Kiros helmet. I tries mounting it on top and on the side right over my left ear. I tried without earplugs and with my Alpine Moto Safe Earplugs, which are communication system compatible.
    Once you get over 10 --> 15 MPH you can't hear a thing. The Domio device doesn't put out enough volume.

I've got a cheap dB meter I used to test sound out put, and there is no noticeable difference in sound output when it's un-mounted compared to when it's mounted to the helmet. According to the Domio web site the "Vibro-Audio sound technology turns your helmet into a surround sound experience", but according to my experience putting the device on the helmet did not enhance the sound.

Now, if you plan on using it on a snow board helmet or bicycle helmet it might just work. Although, the bicycle helmet would have to be more of the skateboard type that the more common Giro type.

It's too bad because the device is well built, simple to use and actually sounds pretty good when not in motion.

Now, to see if I can return the device.
  5. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yellow Pig,

Thanks for the review, good to hear, well, bad that it didn't work for you also, but now I know it just wasn't something with my set-up that was causing the problem.

I agree with your points about the build quality and the sound when not on motorcycle.

They wanted me to test over side by ear, but it sounds like that really isn't going to do anything to help so I'll have to see what they will do for me.

Thanks,

Yellow Pig likes this.
  6. darngood1

darngood1 I'm DarnGood1. I ride 'n stuff.

Oddometer:
    FYI: another company worked on a product in 2006 called the ShellShocker using the same audio delivery method. It was a failure. It was reviewed by WebBike World as well, and his opinion was great concept, but not great sound delivery at speed whatsoever. I happened to work in powersports comm systems and I checked into this theory with our engineers as well. They told me it was completely inconsistent sound delivery based on the helmet type, padding, shell material, etc and something they decided to steer clear of years ago. Hope that helps. Here's the link to the WebBike World review of the ShellShocker... https://www.webbikeworld.com/temco-shellshocker/
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @bicyclenut, I know this is an old thread but I noticed you thought you might use the Domio for music even though you are already running a Sena and your phone. Two buddies and I use Senas and smartphones of various brands. All three of us occasionally use our phones as music players through the Sena as well as for making/receiving phone calls and texts. One uses his for music almost all the time. Just wondering why you don't use your Sena this way? ... Or perhaps you are by now?

@darngood1, It stands to reason your engineers gave up on it and why it doesn't work at higher speeds. The airflow over the helmet from road speed and side- and head-winds will completely change the ability of the helmet shell to vibrate the way the designers intend. And I doubt you can compensate for those changes because they will be different from situation to situation (type and shape of helmet shell, pressure from road speed wind, pressure from side- and head-wind, etc.). Heck, even something as simple as how tight or loose the helmet fits will likely have some effect. Also how compressed the foam liner has become over the years as the helmet ages. Etc., etc., etc...

And I'm not even an engineer. :-)

...ken...
  8. Hoggdoc

Hoggdoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So basically for motorcycle use it is a 200.00 Piece of Crap....