Anyone used the Scenic app on their iPhone?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by jb882, Sep 4, 2018.

1. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I have not had a chance to try it yet but i was wondering if there was any feedback from the collective here on it.

A little bit about what I'm looking for. I simply want an app that can send turn by turn into my headset but one i can pre-plan a route on or that is more motorcycle specific and for road only( i have TrailTech Voyager on my off road bike) . Seems like this app may be the ticket for me if it works as advertised.

Until recently i had been using an old version of the Tom Tom USA app on my iPhone that worked mostly ok with some drawbacks. It could get me places and with their "winding roads" option i could punch in a destination and it would take me on a nice ride along the way. My biggest beef with it is pre-planning a route was nearly impossible/ PITA enough that i simply never did it and that lack of a feature has always bugged me. They discontinued that old app a while ago and no longer update it or the maps on it so its getting stale for sure. While it still works I'm waiting for the shoe to drop someday and for it to no longer be compatible with a future version of IOS.

The replacement Tom Tom go app they dropped the winding roads option so its kind of useless on the motorcycle for my use and it always wants to take you on the slab no matter if you tell it to avoid freeways or not. I have had similar issues with Waze although for my commute to avoid traffic jams its the best app going in my opinion.

I have thought about a dedicated GPS as well but they seem to have their fair share of issues and are expensive to buy for what they are. The only time i would realistically be using it is when we take off for a weekend ride to points north. If i can use a device i already have for a much cheaper buy in I'm all for it if it works.

Any opinions on this app out there? I searched on it but came up pretty empty.
  2. Mtraikov

Mtraikov Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also looking for the same thing. New the gps game. I have not tried scenic yet. I’ve used OsmAnd, but the voice completely turns off music after the first direction and does not bring it back on. I’ve been using ride with gps, which has given me the best results so far. However, you need to add verbal cues on the website to create turn by turn directions, which takes some time that you don’t want to eat up. And it’s 4.99/month. So that’s where I’m at lol. Trying maps.me and scenic next
  3. rfulcher

rfulcher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use Scenic regularly and like it. It is easy to use for creating, editing, and sharing GPX route files. The user interface is not standard and there is a learning curve. My only complaint is that the time to destination estimates is frequently longer than reality and the longer the trip the less accurate. As far as i know it is the only GPS program that allows for saving, editing, and sharing route files.
  4. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't really care for scenic. Making a route on furkot and importing to scenic is easy.......Butt you need to check your route for swirls and backtracks. Trying to make corrections right before the trip on the phone is a pain. I seem to have this issue only when I have a long route.
    Scenic has taken a back seat to Rever. Granted Rever does not have twisty routing yet. You can make routes online, and share the gpx files. It is a paid subscription.
    I am not saying use it, but take a look.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The problem with Scenic sometimes not calculating long Imported Routes correctly (usually around intersections and Highway Exits/Onramps) is due to Scenic using to many points to generate the route path from the imported data. Often, fewer points is better when using different apps to create and then navigate routes. Hopefully the new re-write of the Scenic App (coming late this year) will address this subject. Other than the need to check your imported routes and edit them - which by the way is quite easy to do, although time consuming - I have found Scenic to be quite a good Mobile App.

The one feature I'm really hoping for is that Scenic will support Apple CarPlay in this new re-write now that Apple has opened the CarPlay API to third-party Apps.

P.S. There is a Scenic thread in the Vendor Section if you're interested in communicating with the Developer.
  6. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True it is easy to do, however at 6am when I am about to roll out is not the time that I need to be doing that. It will recalculate the route anytime the app is restarted.
    I have been in that thread and to Scenic CS. emailed back and fourth.
    I want to like this app. but from personal experience I can not recommend it. Maybe when I will try again after the update.
    If it matters, I have had issue with Rever as well. POIs covering the map near it, no specific curvy routing and claiming diagnostics with r-link. Battery voltage is not diagnostics.
    I don't even want to start on copilot.
    ESR is a tracking only app.
    Sygic has downloadable maps but no tracking.
  7. Mtraikov

Mtraikov Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So would you guys say the best bet for turn by turn directions following a gpx file is scenic at this point for the iPhone?

If you edit the route on scenic and then save it, it will revert back to the original?? I used scenic a couple times following a 100 mile loop through two track and it worked good.
  8. dimon

dimon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scenic is ok from my experience. I really like Navigation by MyRoute-app, it does work great.
  9. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    So have had the chance to try Scenic out on a couple of occasions and so far so good as far as im concerned. Its not perfect but something i can definitely work with.

First use we went on a ride to a place for BBQ that is about an hour away from home out in Barre, MA and we just set in the destination, selected the avoid highways option and let it pick windy roads for us, and it took us on what ended up being a really decent ride out there that took a little better than 2 hours.

Yesterday i used it again on a longer ride in Maine. We plotted our own trip on Furkot since where we were coming from in Kittery and going to Gohram it wanted to route us up 95 no matter the selected route type. Kind of a bummer that it souldnt figure out a better way... The planning in Furkot was kind of a pain but i got thru it and the Scenic was able to go fetch the route easily enough. From a navigation standpoint it worked perfect and followed the route perfectly and even was able to correct itself some bad planning on my part when i had to skip a road or two. The only gripe i have is sometimes when you make a turn and another is coming quick it failed to announce it which would be a problem if the phone is not visible. I'm sure at some point it would either re-route you or have you turn around. I happened to notice it on the screen since most of the time this happened it was at a stop point for me. Overall I thought it worked well and it got us to our destination on a 4 hour loop up and around Sabago lake.
  10. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using Scenic on my iPhone and iPad for the last year/18 months. It’s my go to SatNav, bike or car. Previously I’ve used TomTom and Sygic but I find Scenic much easier to plan routes (mainly on the iPad then shared to the iPhone) and use generally. This summer it guided me through Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain and back without a hitch.

I know what you mean about it missing turns in close proximity to each other though. It doesn’t happen often (and after a while I learned to anticipate the issue and do a double check on screen.
    haggis mctavish and ohgood like this.
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I find Scenic to be the best of the GPS apps available for iOS for my purposes. It doesn't fit my needs completely, but it comes a lot closer than any other app. A lot of people would find it to fit their needs just fine; I just expect more functionality than most people care about.

The good news is that the developer has been working on a major new version of Scenic, and it looks like it will address the few issues people have complained about and introduce a lot of new features. Definitely worth keeping an eye on this one.

--mark
  12. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho

Oddometer:
    I am using Scenic to make routes, then follow the route. It works fine for me. It shows gravel and dirt roads in my area and that is where I want to ride. I can also import the routes into MotionX-GPS or Google Maps if I want. I use my iPhone to make and track routes. I also use Rever (free version) and MotionX-GPS to record tracks.