Anything but Airheads [Catch-all OT thread in Airheads]

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the tradition of the Friday picture thread from Old's Cool, I thought we could use a distraction thread for all of life's other endeavors. I'll start it off.

[​IMG]

Meet my truck. I was driving down to Portland and back 2 weekends ago and on the way back my transmission started making an awful squeal accompanied by a significant loss of power. I ended up towing it home. A buddy and I dropped the transfer case and transmission this last saturday and I just cracked it open tonight.

[​IMG]

Suspicions confirmed. The input bearing is mightily chatched. That's a tapered roller and it's not facing the right direction.

[​IMG]

Removed:

[​IMG]

The other side:

[​IMG]

The outer race didn't fair nearly as badly:

[​IMG]

The gears and syncros all look fine. It'll get new bearings, seals, and gaskets and go right back in.

Your turn. What else are you working on?
  2. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a little too much preload AW!

We could make it an Effy thread?
    Here's my 51 that I restored many years ago. It was 35 years old when I got it and I thought it was a real oldie. It was great for trout fishing.
    Huh, now my daily drive 81 swb F100 is 35 years old. It could do with a paint job too.

[​IMG]
  3. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool thread idea.

We live on a dirt road and it's once again snow and mud season here. I’ve been working with hand tools a bit and recently made this bench to keep all of our muddy boots and shoes on. I constructed it with simple mortise and tenon joinery. The legs are an Oak that comes from Texas that was actually firewood I cut into dimensional lumber (too beautiful to waste). The rack and rails are made from pallet wood and the top is glued up with a mix of old rough sawn lumber I had laying around. It’s sturdy and rustic and goes well in our rustic adobe house.

[​IMG]

...and especially with Lucy's fancy red cowgirl boots.

[​IMG]

Speaking of hand tools...I love using old hand planes and the Stanley 60 low-angle plane with adjustable mouth has become one of my faves. It's great for odd jobs and fits nicely in my back pocket. I have a number of these. Most are from the early 1900s. (This one's not mine tho.).

[​IMG]

Wood is amazing.
  4. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    The buzzin half dozen in my '53 Chevy truck finally gave up. Yeah, a water and oil mixture makes for a poor lubricant for the rotating assembly I guess, eh? lol. So I'm dropping in a small block Chevy in it's place. It's not easy squeezing it into the engine bay with the original steering box. But I managed to find a way...now to trim it out.....

IMG_3834.JPG
    Texer, Houseoffubar, fxray and 3 others like this.
  5. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    I'll play along. Here's my 4 wheel transportation. A 1971 Jeep CJ5. Not too much original on it anymore. I'm building a new shop this spring and have some work planned for it once I have some more room. The roll cage, bumpers, nerf bars, exhaust, dash ect were all made from scrap stainless steel. Most came from old milkhouse tubing and old brewery plumbing. It has 365,000 miles on it. It's been a fun never ending project. 2HE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    boxermoose, fxray, GrahamM and 4 others like this.
  6. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Home Depot in Miami sells "seconds" that are pften beautiful pieces with strands of bark left on them or large beautiful knots or funk grains and they have all become bookshelves and tables in my house over the years.

Well done.
    ccmickelson likes this.
  7. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    While there may very well have been too much preload (impossible to say now, obviously), I'm leaning toward the complete lack of any oil in the trans when I pulled the drain plug as being the culprit.

This transmission actually doesn't get preload on the bearings, but instead a rather roomy .007" of end play. Cast iron case rather than aluminum, so less thermal expansion in the case than the shafts.

I bought the truck back in August and it had been sitting for a while. It may very well have been running without oil this entire time. I hadn't gotten around to checking it yet as it seemed to run and shift fine. No huge oil slick on the underbody or running gear to indicate a recent slow leak or sudden deluge of oil, so I'm guessing it ran without oil the whole time I've had it. The NP435 is one tough box-o-gears.
    Houseoffubar likes this.
  8. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    I love the truck, and I love the story even more! Awesome stuff, Patrick!!
    ME 109 likes this.
  9. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet

Oddometer:
    What engine and what year Ernie?
  10. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, there's a bike in it, but it is "truck-ish".
    My wife's '56 Ford and my '58 Chevy in the front driveway:

image.jpg

The Ford was her grandparents', it was literally the "farm truck". Almost roadworthy again, needs a new radiator and choke cable. It's been cruising around the block. My Chevy needs a little more work, it's been parked for a while, but was my daily driver back in Arizona. Both are dead stock except for front disc brake upgrades. (And they're both three-speeds with overdrives!)

(Oh, and the bumblebee just got a full set of LED lights and a speedhut GPS speedo.):clap

Oh yeah, I thought I'd add: You can't see the dent in the Ford's fender, but it's there. (And it's staying there.) Grandpa needed to remove a stump from the pasture, and used a little too much dynamite to do it. The truck was hit by debris, as everyone cowered behind it.
    Yes, we have pictures.
  11. Ras Thurlo

Ras Thurlo Desert Lion

Oddometer:
    Oh so its a truck show and tell !

My V8 trucks, CJ6 + 110 defender:
    indian jeep.jpg
    IMG_2455.JPG
    fishwich, TheRoss, dazzadm and 3 others like this.
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Wasn't my intent, but I won't complain. I knew it wouldn't be long before some landies showed up. I'm betting a vendiagram of airhead and landy owners has quite a bit of overlap.
  13. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see who has Ford or Chev pickups, Landies, or the yet to be seen.......VW bus.
  14. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trucks is it? Mine's not vintage, but here's my Ranger (with a newly installed tranny) hauling my moto! I had cooked the truck's transmission driving back down crazy steep Engineer's Pass in Colorado (I think I had it in 4WD low for too long trying to save my brakes and it overheated). I rode my bike back two weeks later to pick it up after the tranny was replaced in Lake City.
    [​IMG]
  15. Caddy82rats

Caddy82rats Long timer

Oddometer:
    STOP IT NOW .... i'm jealous ;-)
  16. Ras Thurlo

Ras Thurlo Desert Lion

Oddometer:
    I know it wasn't your intention - but its our thread now

I also suspect there is a fair amount of us in the middle of this particular vendiagram
  17. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...

Didn't think about posting pictures of the MGA or Midget, at least they're English too.
    We love looking over the Land Rover contingent at the annual British car races. They've always got good stuff, and have a lot of fun, especially those guys that come down from BC. They even brought a couple of Bedfords a few years ago. Cool.
  18. nnelson65

nnelson65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    catseye1, Lornce and Houseoffubar like this.
  19. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    I ve got a power stroke for parts that would fit right in to that frame
  20. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Feral male !

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] my Cummins powered Jeep