Anything but Airheads [Catch-all OT thread in Airheads]

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. thebisch

thebisch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love it, although Buell had very little to do with it. He just happened to be part of the team who fixed the geometry of the original prototype, which happened to be Harley's first CAD design.
    edray likes this.
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    I thought he had more to do with the chassis design?

:scratch
  3. thebisch

Oddometer:
    Chassis was CAD.
  4. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone needs to drive the computer. CAD is not AI!
    Lornce and korinthias like this.
  5. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Exactly my thought. AI wasn't too far along in '82.
  6. Jim K in PA

Oddometer:
    Neither was CAD.
  7. thebisch

Oddometer:
    I know that. I don't think Buell had anything to do with the CAD design.
  8. thebisch

Oddometer:
    In case anyone is interested...

"CS: When did the FXR design first come up in design conversations at Harley and what was your position / involvement at that time? EB: The FXR was initiated before I joined H-D. My assignment on the FXR as a test engineer was to help fix the handling. CS: What were the key features / reasons that this new frame design would be so much more superior in performance and handling? EB: The goal was to have more lean angle than the FX, as well as isolating the engine."

https://cyclesource.com/erik-buell-on-the-fxr/
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  9. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    So, Buell was responsible for getting the foul handling FXR prototype to handle well, without specifying exactly what his contribution was?

Beyond the terrible editing and poor grammar it's difficult to learn from this snippet of interview just exactly what Erik contributed to the design.

All we know for sure is that the FXR is the best handling big-twin HD has produced to date thanks to whatever Erik did to make it so.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  10. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Still doing the Lemons races. Happy to get into all the details of last weekend's race if anyone is interested. The short story is I literally drove the wheels off the car, which afforded me the privilege of completing the remainder of that lap backwards.

nowheel.png
  11. Jim K in PA

Oddometer:
    That is a rather aggressive form of weight reduction, but I respect the effort! :lol3

Sidebar - Years ago I was "between" race cars and rented one from one of the regulars in our org. It was a late 70s Renault R5 (Le Car :csm ). Before I got in it at Shannonville, he says "yeah, so, go easy on the brakes. There are none in the back. "

Me - "WTF?"

Him - "The rules don't require them, and they were drums and real heavy, so I took them off".

It was a hoot, honestly, but the SOB had the balls to charge me for a set of front brake pads! I did beat a 1st gen MR2 while burning through said brake pads, so it was fun. :lol3
  12. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    There's another guy who brings a 70s era Le Car to the Lemons races pretty regularly. He's got a Nissan v6 (forget what motor exactly) swapped into it. It hauls when it isn't on fire. Love that car, lol. I'll try and find a pic.

I don't doubt a lot of fun was had, but my god those gen1 MR2s are slow lol. There were two gen1s there this weekend, and they were pretty much just a cone on the track getting in everyone else's way, lol. However, the Gen2 with the v6 Corolla swap was a rocket ship! I could out handle their drivers in the turns, but it would just walk away from me in the straights. It was more than I could make up for in the turns.
  13. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    @Jim K in PA here's some photos of the LeCar (not taken by me). Also, I'm mostly joking about it catching fire. It only caught fire A LITTLE one time, lol.
    18882041_10159476179815377_3855004514639441153_n.jpg
    13350459_10209630328057870_1882466430909761475_o.jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 4.11.42 PM.png
  14. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    This was my favorite car from this weekend though. This one is my photo.

1AEF39B3-4E7A-4F9C-9224-3D9D630B3D70.jpeg
  15. Jim K in PA

Oddometer:
    LOL - Turbo II bodywork. Did he do a mid-engine conversion when they swapped in the Datsun motor? The R5 I drove was the standard FWD 1.3(?). The MR2 could walk me on the straight, but I could eat it for lunch in the infield. I finally got enough of a lead that he couldn't re-pass me. It was really a momentum machine.

The P44 is hilarious. They weigh the earth, but handle pretty well once sorted (but body roll a LOT).

One of our regulars used to run a Saab 96 and a Sonnet. I lost count how many times that 96 got slow rolled. Put it back on it's wheels and it would just keep on goin'.
  16. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Surprised to hear how poorly the Mr. 2's handle the twisty bits. Thought the mid-engine layout would have given them the leg up?
  17. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure it is mid engine, but it hasn’t been at the track at the same time as me in a few years. So I can’t be certain.

That p544 is FAST, and can go around a turn better than it deserves to. I didn’t get to talk to the owner. So I’m not sure what’s under the hood. All I know is it spanked us whenever it was on the track. They were dealing with overheating issues and could only run it a few laps at a time before needing to bring it in to cool off. I’m proud to say there at least 3 of my sheet metal screws holding it together, and one of my fuses. They were camped out across from us, and came over twice in need of things. I was happy to help, haha!

I was eying a Saab Sonnet for sale nearby recently. My LeMons team wants something more interesting than the zx2, but we were too busy prepping for this last race to act on the Sonnet.
  18. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    99% sure the poor handling was lack of driver ability. That car should have been crushing me in the corners. Our zx2 is running a clapped out stock suspension. No reason I should have been able to take them in a corner… besides driver inexperience.
    Lornce likes this.
  19. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    @Jim K in PA, I scared up some more info on that p544, lol... love this photo...
    screenshot_2021-09-14_101045.png
  20. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    I weirdly get the ASMR effect when the teller counts out bills. It takes me to a place.
    B6D31B41-A357-49C9-B0CA-25840C3AFBAA.jpeg
    Uke and The Patagonia Kid like this.