Anything but Airheads [Catch-all OT thread in Airheads]

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Maybe that's admirable. Let me think about that. :gerg

OK. I think I got it. I would do some updates like 12 V maybe others but I get it. I remember driving with 6 V lights. It was doable but my eyes were younger too. You probably don't plan on too much nighttime driving?

The hand cranking might get old. But then this and anything else can always be changed later. (I guess it can be changed later?)

At least it's not a daily Model T driver. I saw one of those about 10 years ago on a dark night going up a wooded parkway

Very cute looking truck. I can see now it's a pickup. Wow, my hats off to you Sir.
  2. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    The thing is;

Humans once survived with this vehicle. It can be done.

Allow me to show folks how..
    Lornce likes this.
  3. jellycow

jellycow NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX

Oddometer:
    Didn't you have a thread on restoreing the one your granddad or great uncle or something did own? I loved that thread, but think it got bombed :-(
  4. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a really interesting build! I've made a couple of exhaust whistles in the past. When my sister-in-law wanted to sell her 1913 Harley, she wanted to keep the exhaust whistle, I made her a pretty good duplicate instead. Now whenever she misses the bike, she just takes out the whistle and gives it a few blows.

ExhaustWhistle002.jpg
  5. TogaJoe

TogaJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20151217_171113.jpg Daily Driver '77 bus - 658,000 miles
    Pigeon, fxray, Lornce and 3 others like this.
  6. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the snarky replies. I was a little tipsy after a long day at work.

So, the vehicle has electric start in addition to the hand crank. I can always use that instead.. but I just want to blow peoples minds by hand cranking it.

It will start as a fun, weekend type vehicle while I work out the bugs. But, I genuinely intend on having it be my daily driver once I awaken it fully from it's decades-long slumber. We'll see how I feel about the lights as time goes on.

Indeed! My grandpas 1929 Tudor. Here.

I started on that as a distraction from an ex-girlfriend and after a lifetime of seeing it sit in the corner of the shop. I was broke, knew nothing about it, but wanted to see it live again. The project has since been taken over by my uncle (the actual owner) and is in good hands.

(There are complaints that the thread is in Old's Cool instead of Shiny Things, but I started it before the latter forum was created. I'm fine with it being moved.)

Once I delivered it to his shop, I started searching for my own. This is her!

I've decided to start a thread about this project.

Very cool!

I was barn "picking" with adv member Otis The Sasquatch and found a cool period correct Aermore whistle. This started my obsession with them and I can predict a collection forming. Haha.

I put an air line fitting on my whistle and when no one is looking, hook it up to the shop supply, and let her rip. She's loud!
  7. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have killed for something like this when I was a kid. Honda 90 motor on a BMX bike, notice the Fuel in Frame! [​IMG]
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Nawh. I'm the one's a wise ass. Always trying to be funny and somehow not always coming across.

You are the most talented at what you do. I hope you will start a thread on the new build.
  9. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back to my transmission...

[​IMG]

After gutting it all and beginning to rebuild it, I found that the bearing race on the spun input bearing got hot enough that it welded itself to the shaft. No amount of violence visited upon it would convince it to move. Also, since it got so hot, it was no longer brittle and could not be cracked - it was actually pretty malleable. I hopped on ebay and found a good looking replacement for $50 and lost a few days to shipping which gave me a chance to bathe the case in mineral spirits and get all the gear oil, road grime, and general funk off of it.

New to me input shaft with new tapered roller bearing pressed on:
    [​IMG]

...and nice new loose rollers packed in the end: (yes, it's supposed to be missing those teeth on the far side. That part's a spline, not a gear)
    [​IMG]

Drove the countershaft cap bearing into the outside of the case until it was flush:
    [​IMG]

Loaded the reverse idler gears and countershaft (not a lightweight item) into the case:
    [​IMG]

Installed the other countershaft bearing cap. This one bolts on and has a thrust bearing in it as well as the helical cut on the gears pushes the countershaft toward this one. Both bearings roll directly on the countershaft, no separate races. A whole lot of rolling going on here:
    [​IMG]

Then came the input and main shaft assembly with many gears, syncros, snap rings, spacers, shims, etc, but it required enough concentration that I forgot to take any photos. Last check was to measure input shaft end play with everything all liberally hylomarred and buttoned up again. End play is set by stacking gaskets (not metal shims) under the input bearing cap. The gaskets aren't all that thin, but they give you a nice comfortable range of .007"-.017" for endplay, so it took two gaskets to give .010". I started with three gaskets because that's what I found when I disassembled, but that had me at .022".

[​IMG]

Anyway, all's good with the trans now. The transfer case didn't have anything mechanically wrong with it, but leaked like crazy, so I gave it to a nearby transmission shop for a reseal, not a full rebuild. I just didn't have the time for it and wanted to get my truck moving again before this summer. They should be done with it tomorrow or Wednesday, so I hope to slam it all back together next weekend. Yeah, I know my work bench is a disaster. Too much going on.
    UnclePete, OLD GREEN and Lornce like this.
  10. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it was my work bench!
    Kai Ju likes this.
  11. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    The state of that workbench gives me hives.
  12. jellycow

jellycow NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX

Oddometer:
    I'll spare you guys a pic of my bench then. It's more like a placekeeper for assorted junk. :-(
    Houseoffubar likes this.
  13. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    I also thought it was my work bench, cept he had cleaned it first.
  14. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up, AW. And I too chuckled when I saw your work bench. Like ME and Ontic, it looked like familiar territory. :D
  15. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    We're just too busy getting actual shit done to waste time on tidying up. :lol3
  16. SohoPhil

SohoPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Twin 1971's 914x2b.jpg 914x2.jpg
    Lornce, Jim K in PA and CafeDude like this.
  17. mykill

mykill odd

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lornce likes this.
  18. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Fine, you damn bums.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
    globalt38 likes this.
  19. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found this a few years ago during my annual firewood chainsawing and splitting.
    It's one piece.
    I'll be danged.

[​IMG]
  20. SohoPhil

SohoPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toy & Tool! BeaverShwartz.JPG
    Lornce and rambozo like this.