Anything but Airheads [Catch-all OT thread in Airheads]

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SohoPhil

SohoPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Washed the 76 for the 1st time this year. Wet, wet, wet this spring. It's black so it's only clean for so long:). IMG_2629.jpg
  2. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    VWs on The Green photo dump:

Attached Files:

Uke, The Patagonia Kid and WRC51 like this.
  3. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    continued:

Attached Files:

The Patagonia Kid and WRC51 like this.
  4. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, my Bug didn’t make it. Was going to gas her up last night and she started knocking, and when I pulled over to check things out she was leaking oil from the base of the filler tube. 99% sure I just need to check the gaskets on the base of the filler tube to solve the leak, and the knock was just valves. Either way, I didn’t want to risk it so I just called for a tow, and hopped in my buddy’s bus to head to the show today.

Attached Files:

5. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cold and cloudy day today so what better reason to ski? My hike up the mountain this morning was interesting and about halfway up I began to wonder if I should have eaten those mysterious gummy bears I found scattered on the ground in the parking lot (yes, I actually did that). Another ten steps and I knew the answer to that question was an obvious “FUCK. NO.” A sensible person would have left those gummies where they lay in the dirt.
    2AF1AC8C-C8EE-4A8A-92C7-126F91E786DA.jpeg

Yeeeea...
    06BCBDF8-8004-4BB1-80F6-896DE0AB2D1D.jpeg
    Did someone put lead in my boots when I wasn’t looking???
    83951270-AC74-47C9-B986-EF63288158D2.jpeg
    My god...what a slog...
    8887F7C3-83CC-4132-8F45-A364B4655BBF.jpeg
    The ski down was niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice tho.
    90F41813-FF19-4133-9EFC-B865F2688F26.jpeg
    Had to sit in my truck in the parking lot for several hours before I was brave enough to drive back down the mountain which I did at about 10 mph.

There’s a good chance thosea gummies belonged to the owner of this sweet ride.
    76CE1E95-AD5D-42CE-81F2-0F7DF073A337.jpeg
    If anyone should ask what took me so long up on the mountain today, well let’s just tell them there was a “bake sale”.:-)

(I can't even tell you what a monumental task it was writing this post. So much for accomplishing anything else today.)
  6. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    Ha! Gummies ain’t what they used to be.

Something tells me you knew that...
    Uke likes this.
  7. SohoPhil

SohoPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Careful with your son Nick. My son was ticked for years when I sold the red Porsche he spent some early years in. Took him about two years to finally admit he thought it was going to be his! Maybe he'll get onefrom me but I hope it isn't his 1st :)
  8. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I already refer to my Bug as Wyatt’s first car. So i’ve already accepted the reality you speak of, haha. He’d spend all day in my Bug or my buddy’s Bus if we’d let him. I probably have 1000 photos of him “driving” lol!
    Uke likes this.
  9. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah. My father was an impulsive buyer of vehicles. So, in 1967 we had a red Barracuda convertible. And in ‘68, he was out of there. Many beautiful years were spent with my mom in that Plymouth. I loved that thing. She did too. And she sold it for a song when I was 14. She knew what was ahead. I learned to drive in a tan Plymouth...Volare. Without Corinthian leather. A bitter pill.

It took me a long time to recover from that. About 2 years. My ‘67 Skylark provided the cure. (This one is not mine, just off the web. Mine was a bit more rough, and was exposed on 1970s era film...)

7EECB59C-271E-45E8-820D-F07AFC3FE46A.jpeg

Attached Files:

The Patagonia Kid and SohoPhil like this.
  10. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet

Oddometer:
    globalt38 likes this.
  11. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm - had flashbacks to my Mom slapping things I thought were surely edible out of my hand... :lol3
  12. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    I had an inkling after I scarfed down 4 or 5 of them and they tasted a little funny. That proved to be far too many as 10 hours later...

Certainly better I consume them than some innocent, unwitting child. Can you even imagine?

(Another 9-14 inches in the forecast tonight. I’ll be skiing in July.:D)
    spo123 likes this.
  13. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    Couldn’t make it in to the shop again this morning.Feeling a little “under the weather”.
    1EAA132C-2B1D-45DF-8CD9-9D1ADF756DB5.jpeg
    (I think I’m having a snowgasm.)
    Uke, WRC51 and globalt38 like this.
  14. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    For this May I've had a ride / trip planned, something I've done before to visit friends in AZ, also trying to meet 2 ADV riders in NM and more friends in CO. Its kind of early in the season and the weather could surprise you ... hail, rain and snow depending on where you are. I caught another cold and decided that after fighting pneumonia earlier in the year would probably be smart to save my own bacon and DRIVE ( :dirtdog) ... this way I still can travel and be in good health for June riding overseas.
    Still I wanted to ride a boxer of a different kind... Then scheduled a ride in Mesa, AZ and went for it! :happay

Schweizer 300 1.jpg Schweizer 300 3.jpg Schweizer 300 4.jpg Schweizer 300 6.jpg
    Uke, SohoPhil, ccmickelson and 4 others like this.
  15. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    June just a few days away and still earning some turns high in the Sangre’s. The wind is punishing and the sky moody and threatening rain or snow but the clouds never fail to enchant me.
    09D310CF-1743-4207-A338-2025C36764FD.jpeg
    Tomorrow is Memorial Day. A day of remembrance. On the hike up I thought about the people in my life who have served and sacrificed and survived and how they’ve influenced the person I’ve become.

My dad, born in 1918, was the son of Danish emigrants (we were Mikkelsen originally) who came over in the late 1800’s. Dad lost both his parents (his father to alcoholism and his mother in an automobile accident that nearly killed him as well) at the tender age of twelve and the beginning of the Great Depression. He lived in homeless shelters and panhandled on the streets in the 1930’s and eventually made his way to California which he described as “paradise” and somehow got a job at Technicolor in the early days of Hollywood before being drafted into the air force during WWII. During his time in the military he utilized his knowledge of film to develop a “camouflage detector “ device that would mount on an M-1 carbine assault rifle and allow soldiers to more easily see camouflaged enemy soldiers during jungle fighting. His device was never developed and employed as the war came to an end. After the war he returned to Technicolor briefly before entering college at Texas A&M on the G.I. Bill. He went on to work in agricultural genetics for a chicken company where he developed an alternative tissue preservative to formaldehyde which was non-toxic, odorless and tasteless. He was never able to sell the idea (formula) to the medical industry and left the field altogether to pursue his masters degree in social work and worked for the state during the entirety of my upbringing. My dad was a kind, gentle and brilliant man and a survivor. As a kid, growing up with an "older dad” was sometimes embarrassing but as I got older I began to understand and appreciate what he had lived through, which has often helped me put my own problems in perspective, appreciate what I have and truly believe that anything is possible. I have also grown to be proud of my Danish heritage.

My oldest brother was drafted into the Navy at 19 and served in Vietnam on a river patrol craft. When he came back from the war I was just a kid (5 or 6) but the military OCD drilled into him had a lasting influence on me. I still can’t leave the house without making our bed.

A favorite cousin of my mom’s who was an officer in Vietnam was killed early on in the US involvement there when his Jeep rolled over a land mine. I think he was 25. That story has always stuck with me.

My good friend Jim Conway who is a great woodworker and has helped me build out two cafes over the past 20 years or so, survived the horrors of the jungles of Vietnam as a 19 year-old foot soldier in the first infantry division (The Big Red One as he calls it). Jim grew up in the tough Irish neighborhoods of Brooklyn, NY and I always enjoy listening to him utilize the F-word in new and interesting ways in that thick Brooklyn accent. He is truly one of the most patient, kind hearted and affable people I know.

When I was in elementary school I won an essay contest entitled, “What Freedom Means to Me”. I was just a kid and I didn’t know shit (and still don’t) but spoke from the heart so I guess they liked what I wrote. This was a few years following the US withdrawal from Vietnam and I expressed how I felt America didn’t seem as patriotic as maybe it once was. I mentioned my family’s service in the military and something about what country and nation meant to me. I read the frickin thing in front of the whole school which nearly made me throw up as I was so nervous, but I stumbled through it anyhow. The prize for winning the contest was an American flag, which is ironic because my essay was not particularly patriotic nor infused with nationalistic pride, and neither was my family, but we did always fly that flag on the Fourth of July and Memorial Day.

Tomorrow’s significance is not lost on me as say, President’s Day always has been. Hard not to say thanks to the vets.
  16. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One like is not enough. You and I are going to close a bar one day, my friend. :D

My mom enlisted in the US Marines in June, 1962. My dad enlisted the year before. Both got stationed at MCAS El Toro. I exist because of that turn of fate. Grandpa was a merchant marine in WWII.
  17. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    It’s amazing how families are bonded, or not, through the history of wars and service. My family was just out of sync with every war. My great grandfather joined up for WWI, but he was 45! He just wanted to get out of a stifling existence with his wife, I think. He drove an ambulance in France. My grandfather was too old for WWII, but worked on sonar technology. My father was in the later stages of naval air training when WWII ended. My siblings were all too young for Vietnam. Just the way things go.
  18. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    This closed Hwy 145 between Cortez and Telluride (Lizard Head Pass) 12 miles north of Delores.
    56F497A1-650F-4401-880F-80FBBF96BB27.jpeg
  19. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn that's a big ass boulder!
    Looks like a Wile e Coyote Scene!
  20. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    3464D251-2FFF-49E6-9D0E-566A4A2FD6D7.jpeg I’ve been through the plumbing so far and change to airhead headlight, need to add a front fender and mount the new tires and install the new radiator fan motor and....
    All lights are now LED (plus Moto gadgets in the bar ends) except the lunchbox.