Anything but Airheads [Catch-all OT thread in Airheads]

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I think it's there because you already went!
    ccmickelson likes this.
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably there to suck up those Harleys, cuz they're pieces of... well... you get it.
    Uke and ME 109 like this.
  3. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    The summary: LeMons Racing is REALLY fun. Even if you make a poor decision on what tires to run for Day 2, fly off track, break a wheel hub, and have to bow out of the race early, lol.

Oh well, we proved in Day 1 that we are competitive. We 5 rookies who normally spend our days behind a desk writing code ended in 5th place in class (out of about 25), and 14th overall (out of 61). We appeared to be clawing our way into 4th on Day 2 when the hub sheared off. Oh well, we LITERALLY drove the wheels off the car! Time to fix our steed and get ready for the September race!

62511024_10157488577203578_7230412211129155584_o.jpg IMG_2045.jpg IMG_2046.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

For those unfamiliar with "Bluicfer" the theme we chose for our car and team for this race: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mustang
    SculptD, Jim K in PA, Uke and 6 others like this.
  4. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is so awesome!!! My friends in Atlanta do a podcast called RoShamBo and reported on the Lemons race....and I believe my buddy Ted is going to attempt it. He is a huge Miata fan so I'm guessing that is what he'll race. Loved following along on insta....sorry about the hub. Go get 'em next year!
    Uke likes this.
  5. SohoPhil

SohoPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AB51F2C1-F413-409D-985C-DF753B4D750B.jpeg C4F0BE0A-86B7-4103-97F1-E141AF8F3A20.jpeg 9098CAD9-245C-4770-B1CE-F8ED9333FCEB.jpeg 2BC5667A-2AEB-41A4-AB24-9CC71566F21F.jpeg New Hampshire international historics
  6. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is for the VW fans ... (nickm) found it on a mall at the Barcelona port. Have seen similar in some airports in the US.

A341ADC7-939C-41D3-877D-C7A3D3A19DF0.jpeg
    WRC51, Uke, nmalozzi and 4 others like this.
  7. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is beyond awesome.
    nmalozzi and Uke like this.
  8. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Glad you both enjoyed the posts/photos. I have an insane number of photos to sift through given the professional photogs at the event, my phone, my DSLR, and my team mates phones/cameras. Not to mention some in car GoPro footage. I’d like to edit it all down into one place somewhere, but I’m not sure when I’ll even get to it.

LeMons is an absolute blast. Don’t be fooled though. The “$500” car is a bit of a misnomer, lol. We were well over that by the end of the race, and some of the other teams had some serious money in their cars. Cheating and bribing is encouraged. So teams take on the amount of cheating they are comfortable with. At the end of the day though, most of the cars are pieces of junk in some way shape or form, and I can’t tell you how hilarious it is to get passed in a hairpin by a rusty 47 Plymouth, or passed on the straight by an 88 Chevette with a heavily turbo charged volvo motor (which soon after exploded, lol). It’s so damn fun. I’ll post a few more photos sometime soon and maybe some footage.

@hardwaregrrl your friend is going to have a blast. Just warn him, there are A LOT of Miatas at LeMons races, and they typically do well. That said, he will surely be placed in Class A with all the “fast cars”, and will likely be handed at least a few penalty laps for brining a “real race car” to a LeMons race. That’s not to discourage him, but he should know that he’s entering into a highly competitive Class as a rookie. It’ll still be fun, either way though! Feel free to give him my contact info if he wants more advice/peer pressure lol.

EDIT: here's a link to a TON of photos taken by the head judge at the race: http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LCO19/LCO19.html
  9. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Looks like a blast and Bluecifer is perfect. I wish I could see that shit in September. LTFF!!!:lol3
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  10. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    241040B5-BFB0-4008-A6B8-4165EA199FC9.jpeg 5D46C62E-ADE3-4438-ABAD-54F3434EF3D1.jpeg I am pretty sure this Honda X ADV scooter is something that many would love to have in the US including me ... not sure if we will see it at the dealers ever although I think it is a blast!
    Found a bunch in Madrid capital.
    :-)
    Uke and brittrunyon like this.
  11. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    0CAEA6AC-CB84-40B8-8203-5340E9E3F15C.jpeg Today in Madrid “cocido madrileno” (stew like), fats anyone?...:rayof
    Uke, brittrunyon and ccmickelson like this.
  12. SohoPhil

Oddometer:
    E92B962A-B3A8-4870-9839-FF6F20E44700.jpeg Hey Nick,
    Hope your watching!
    The Patagonia Kid and Uke like this.
  13. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    haha, i’ve actually never been a big fan of racing. for no other reason than i’m a terrible spectator of all things “sport”. i have a hard time watching and not participating. hell i’ve been playing ice hockey since i was 5yrs old, and can count on one hand the number of NHL games i’ve seen.

that said, this LeMons madness has me looking st cars and driving in a very different way. maybe it’s time i start paying more attention!
  14. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    Well the white has finally given way to green but the mountains are still waking up from the long winter. Wildflowers just starting to emerge and water is gushing from everywhere.
    IMG_8188 - Copy.JPG

Traded my skis for trail shoes to try and maintain some of the good condition I gained from all the late-season skiing. Hard to believe I skied this area just ten days ago.
    IMG_8125.JPG

I tend to be somewhat injury-prone yet (hypocritically) often lecture my kids about being careful to avoid injury, particularly when travelling in the wilderness. A few days ago I was running back down the mountain and slipped and hit a sharp rock and opened up my shin pretty good. Skaters call these "shinners" (when your board goes away and rolls up the opposite side of the transition and comes back and hits you in the shin) and I've had a few. This one went all the way to the bone. I hobbled for miles back down the mountain bleeding and cursing and surprising a few hikers along the way. Fortunately I have an inordinate number of doctor friends and one of them was kind enough to clean it out and close it up for me when I dropped by his house.
    IMG_8241.JPG

Your probably wishing you hadn't seen that. Sorry.:lol3
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  15. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JB Weld could have fixed that, Casey.
    I was just about to cook some Sunday morning breakfast, but I might wait for lunch.
    ccmickelson, SohoPhil and Uke like this.
  16. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bondo.
    ccmickelson, SohoPhil and ME 109 like this.
  17. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Uhhhhhhhhh that hurts!
    ccmickelson likes this.
  18. SohoPhil

Oddometer:
    I was watching the start yesterday and couldn't help but think of you running the LeMons. I tend to enjoy watching and participating. That can be problematic though, when I view some ALMS or F1 then head out to the garage & off to public roads:)
    nmalozzi likes this.
  19. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    I found this on a museum in Omaha Beach, Normandy. Privately owned open to the public $ 6 EU
    All original goodies from the past. D9D56427-C407-469B-860A-EEE87BE46D43.jpeg
    Sure you guys my like it or even seen it before.
    ccmickelson, Uke, Texer and 1 other person like this.
  20. Interstatement

Interstatement Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plucked a mighty heavy rock out of the yard the other day with the help of a friend, an engine hoist, two tow chains, and deep-seated stubbornness.
    8E675978-5C86-48CD-84B4-55D6B86DA54A.jpeg E49322C7-3B6B-417A-ACC5-5AB0A13DE0C3.jpeg