Anything but Airheads [Catch-all OT thread in Airheads]

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. brittrunyon

brittrunyon 1992 R 100 GS

Oddometer:
    HEADS UP!
    Following the mega snow season of 2018-19 the rivers of the Rockies are raging.
    If you can swim, you can do it. :imaposer

As for me, I get very little riding time on the GS but get daily guiding time on the Rio Grande.

1.jpg
    ^ Sunset Rapid of the Taos Box. At the helm with 8 thrill seekers from Santa Fe.

G0020769-Edit.jpg

:beer
    BR
  2. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! I worked as a river guide in college. Most fun I ever had at "work". It might be my retirement plan, as I really miss it. We booked a trip on Clear Creek for late July. I think most of the snow will be melted, but it will still be a blast! Really miss my white water days. I had a few too many close calls in my kayak. So that boat got sold, and so I don't get to do it much these days.
  3. brittrunyon

Oddometer:
    ^
    Guiding Whitewater.
    "Greatest damn job in the world."
    "As much fun as you can have and still be working."
    Clear Ck. is a blast, even at low water.
    Enjoy.
    Close calls happen in all adventure sports, it's all about our reactions to it.
    :beer
    BR
  4. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Agree to a degree. I've done a lot of climbing, snowboarding, skateboarding, mountain biking, rafting, motorcycling, and other shit. I've never been so close to death as frequently as white water kayaking. Rafting has always been 100% fun, even in pretty scary water. The kayak is another level. Nothing but respect to the folks who keep pushing the envelope in those boats. It just isn't for me anymore, lol.
    Uke, ccmickelson and brittrunyon like this.
  5. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    The chanterelles are popping in the south! Morel season was a no go this year in Georgia...crazy shitty weather.

[​IMG]

And a kale, shallot, garlic, chanterelle cream sauce on some linguini.....damn good.

[​IMG]

Here's some "Trainwreckers" I found in a National Forest area.....still not sure on the regs so I left them..

[​IMG]

Sorry if I posted this already....this is my mothers day present to myself. Got him at 830pm on mothers day, took me an hour to get him out on a hand truck. Someone stole our game cart, and River left my headlamp on in my pack so I was on limited battery life.

[​IMG]

And for dinner a pulled pork crockpot with a little bourbon sauce, caramelized onion, red cabbage, and a little blitva for my Croatian heritage. Yummy...

[​IMG]

Here's a big fella that's been frequenting my "hole".....notice the ripped right ear. Hopefully he will end up in my freezer. Ignore the time/date stamp....I forgot to set it after battery swap.

[​IMG]
  6. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out on the "other " bike this morning and headed to the coast. Stopped in Bodega Bay Calif. at Low tide and this poor guy was having a bad day, I am not sure if that boat broke away from its mooring during the night or what. I don't think that even at high tide that sail boat would be able to float upright IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0875.JPG
    ccmickelson likes this.
  7. brittrunyon

Oddometer:
    Yummy for sure.
  8. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    About to go to bed - now you're making me hungry!
  9. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Well done on the Shrooms Jenna! Around here the Chantrells usually only come up in the fall. Occasionally I'll find a few randoms in the spring but never enough to bother with. However, I did luck out with a bounty of Morels this spring, they came up in the ashes of a slash pile I burned a couple of years ago. And just for the record, that's a full size Bic, not the mini.

image.jpeg
  10. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit!!! I've never laid my eyes on one that large!! I hunted for almost 4 weeks....went to an area that has prescribed burns...but we just didn't get the rain or the cold in early spring..... Man, I'm totally jealous. I've wanted to make a venison dish with a morel sauce ever since I shot my first deer.....I hope to at least find some lions mane this fall to make up for no morels.
    OLD GREEN likes this.
  11. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    I was at a trial two weeks ago and saw at least 6 morels right in the third section, one was already crushed by a boot. I wasn’t sure exactly if they were morels because I thought morels were small, but looking at your picture I now realize they likely were. I got it marked on my calendar, and I’ll take a brown bag next year and a sharp knife to harvest them.
  12. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been working steadily on the Delica engine swap since the beginning of the month. What makes this project challenging is the extremely limited space I have to work in my carport and 8x10 shed, but so far it has worked out.

Our visitor, Tom, from Ontario, returned on his g/s from southern New Mexico, just in time to kindly help me with the first big step: removing the 4D56.

278EA3B3-E7C1-428D-B1C1-2CD302AFD4EB.jpeg

After draining all the fluids and disconnecting everything, we unbolted the engine from it’s mounts and then the bellhousing and torque converter and separated it from the transmission and it was free. There was maybe 2 or 3 mm of room to spare when we pulled it through the passenger door.
    5FFF0369-EB37-44F2-BF82-CA1A8B7B3AAE.jpeg

Since removal I’ve been working on swapping over some necessary parts for the Hyundai to function properly in the Delica. It is basically the same engine as the 4D56 (even has 4D56 cast into the engine case and head but I understand it has a much improved head and turbo.

Removed timing belt cover on the D4BF to take a peek.
    37AF9291-2FBA-4932-894B-21864961D594.jpeg

The oil pan and pickup tube had to be exchanged as the ones on the new engine have a completely different configuration and the dipstick had to be swapped and relocated to the rear position, which was easy. Before swapping them I had the sump and a few other parts ceramic coated because I couldn’t live with putting them on the shiny new D4BF.
    DEC12017-22A5-4680-A7CB-177C92D9D5D8.jpeg
    D56BBA20-BD48-42CB-B7E4-10D406B404E8.jpeg

2D1E04CB-3DAD-46A9-8DAE-AE460961335F.jpeg

I also installed a frost-plug engine block heater while the engine is out and so accessible. This should help avoid the rough, smokey winter startups and premature engine wear on the little diesel.

D9CDE0BF-0C27-4647-9AA2-1C147198A3EB.jpeg
    Some of the electrical harness plugs needed to be configured to match those of the main engine harness in the Delica.

I’m still waiting on some parts I ordered from Japan but the last big project before install will be swapping over the injection pump linkages, which could be a little tricky in order to avoid messing up then D4BF injection pump settings.

In the mean time, I’ve changed the oil in the differentials, flushed the oil cooler and gave the engine bay a good cleaning.

I've also been ordering up parts to freshen up the suspension as just about everything but the shocks underneath the van is squeaky, creaky, dried up, cracked and worn out, including every bushing, boot and bellows which is not too surprising after 25 years and 130,000 miles.
    9E46E0E7-2112-498B-A0E1-A4AA02759FD7.jpeg I also plan on removing and repainting some of the components, including the control arms, sway bar, brake calipers, backing plates, wheel hubs, rear axle and various and assundry other bits and pieces.

New parts warm my heart.:-)
    16BD18E5-32E5-4426-9B34-053991955972.jpeg

BA1D3869-1D43-4DE7-B805-5393ADE5E016.jpeg
  13. Idahoblueskies

Idahoblueskies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My other obsession, Willys wagon...
    01F504C8-AEB1-4134-8CDF-24428CEBA611.jpg
    Pete
  14. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photo Pete, it looks like it could have been a Willy's advertisement from back in the day. Just you, your Willys and unspoiled wilderness...
    Uke, Idahoblueskies, WRC51 and 2 others like this.
  15. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep - captivating image!
    WRC51 likes this.
  16. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    It's a tight fit out the door alright ! Auto or manual ? I see a turbo drain in the sump...is the D4BF turbo ?, I don't see a diaphram on top of the injector pump. No cold start on the 4D56 - it's a great help for cold areas, it advances the timing and gives an idle up.
    ccmickelson likes this.
  17. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    Motu, yes, the engineers cut it close with this one! We had to hook up the lift chain with as little slack as we could manage and just squeaked it through.

Yep, my Delica is auto. The D4BF came with a clutch pack and flywheel (which must weigh 40 lbs.!) but had to swap that for the Mitsu auto flex plate (which uses the exact same bolts as the flywheel) which will then bolt up to the torque converter.
    IMG_7703.JPG
    IMG_8372.JPG

The torque converter was disturbed when we pulled the engine and hemorrhaged ATF, but I'm gonna replace the input shaft seal at the oil pump before re-installing the torque converter anyway, and i'll re-fill the torque converter.
    IMG_7690.JPG
    And yes, the D4BF has a turbo that is now both water and oil cooled at the bearing. A water feed line comes off the main coolant inlet at the water pump/lower radiator hose goes through to the turbo shaft housing and then returns around the backside of the engine to the upper radiator hose hot-side return.
    IMG_7541.JPG
    IMG_7544.JPG
    IMG_7595.JPG

I have since removed the EGR valve and blanked it at the intake and exhaust manifolds and drilled and tapped the exhaust side blanking plate for an EGT probe fitting. The probe will connect to the EGT gauge which is already installed on the dash of the Delica.
    IMG_7906.JPG
    IMG_7907.JPG

Injector pump has same configuration as the 4D56 with the exception of the accelerator linkages, but the correct mounting holes are there.
    IMG_7613.JPG

Yes, the block heater should really help with the cold startups. I may eventually add a little diesel-powered coolant heater (i.e. Eberspracher or Webasto) as well for remote startups and quick warm-up of the heater core for the cabin.
    nmalozzi likes this.
  18. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Having used Japanese imports all over here, what we found was the early diesels from the north of Japan came with twin batteries and a cold start on the injector pump, those from the south may or may not be the same. My Pajero with twin batteries and cold start took 4 seconds of glow in the mornings, and never needed glow for the rest of the day. The block heater sounds like a good plan.
  19. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    I believe the “Chamonix” model of the Delica came with those features. It was their winter package aimed at skiers. They also had a rear LSD for better traction on the snow.
  20. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Toyota did a 4x4 Hi Ace, but it had nowhere the off road ability of the Mitsubishi.
    ccmickelson likes this.