Anything but Airheads [Catch-all OT thread in Airheads]

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    All of a sudden, there are these parked next to my shop.

44644BAA-78B9-4F0F-981F-3EEB6E4C8C1B.jpeg

8D5E5E41-DF58-41B6-B450-072257AE4DEA.jpeg
  2. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    And they are reading this thread!
  4. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    And they eat tacos!
    518D47A9-5420-4FB9-8AFD-65690C05F392.jpeg
  5. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised they are bringing in such old cars, JDM's are usually 10 years old when we get them. Back in the '90's, we heard stories of people (Kiwi's) going over and driving cars straight from the crushing plant to the wharf to ship back here. Now other countries are into it, the Japanese have realised they have something to sell rather than melt down again as they had been doing, and now they go to auction. I can't imagine them still having vehicles that old still on the road.
  7. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    The requirement here is 25 years in order to be exempt from EPA regulations and DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
    Uke likes this.
  8. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in the USA we do not have as many small diesel cars / trucks, the rules mentioned by CC and the fact that in a state like California the codes / regulations to import cars make it very difficult and expensive. Some east coast estates have less of a hassle, Oregon is another place that importing diesels is not that much of an issue.
  9. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    It's the age they are Japan that interests me, not the age they are in the US. The reason we buy used cars from Japan is that they dump them after about 7 years old when they become too expensive to keep on the road....just about every brake and suspension/steering part has to be replaced. You can't sell new cars if there are too many old cars on the road is their policy. Warehouses full of 25 year old cars just for the US ?
  10. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Not just for US: have read of car-boys tough road warriors who make their living driving expired Japanese cars across Russia into the euro-marketplace.
  11. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is interesting that as stringent as CA emissions standards are that someone in CA is trying to get importation of these vehicles going. I understand it is not easy to register them there.

And Canada as well! It seems to be a growing industry. Interesting too, is that many of these "JDM" vehicles fill niches that have never been offered by North American distributors. As the demand grows, it will be interesting to see if the DOT and EPA regulations change.
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  12. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do not believe the DOT or EPA will change rules to benefit us.
    Europe is already pushing for norms that many older cars / motorcycles are not allowed to enter cities like London or Madrid because of emissions, I watch this closely because I do not want to get caught riding in places I for sure will get a ticket. The system is forcing people to change vehicles more often or get rid of them an use public transportation.
    I sure hope that we can stretch it / enjoy while we can here because I am not to keen on what's coming.
  13. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.
    ~The Teachings of Buddha
    D30F43E4-F5B9-46EC-A016-5CA087CE522E.jpeg
    Texer, Uke, The Patagonia Kid and 6 others like this.
  14. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One can get caught up in the now, while the future sneaks past.
    KISS

Excellent photo Casey, the kids are diggin' it.
    Is that a thrush or a shrike or?

4FD14599-88A2-4FA3-9077-6DD30D1CE172.jpeg
  15. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Be here now. If not, come later." Robin Williams... Does the fence keep the roos out of the pool?
  16. ME 109

Oddometer:
    It does, but they can jump similar 4' fence heights elsewhere? Half of the fence is 6' which I was going to plant on, but didn't. I had thoughts of planting over the fence to hide the two big unfenced farm dams, only metres away. :D
    Every Aussie backyard swimming pool must be fenced, legally. The regulations for construction are from Australian Standards, and quite thorough with what complies or not.
  17. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ME 109 your Stone/Brick work is beautiful. I cant let my wife see these photos or I will be very busy, do you use any Mortar, or Adhesive between the stones/bricks ? Beautiful
    Uke, aptbldr and ME 109 like this.
  18. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    Ha! The future is NOW!

They are Gray Jays but commonly called "Camp Robbers" as they have no fear of humans. Like their corvid cousin, the raven, they are ubiquitous up in the mountains and one of the few birds that are here year-round. They store food caches to help them get through the winter months and my kids certainly help with that endeavor. There's a group near a boundary of the ski area, called Raven’s Ridge, that I think recognizes the kids and gather whenever we hike there.
    IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0389.JPG

You have a great eye and I really like your use of curves. I need to show my older brother, who also does stone work, some pics of your designs.
    Uke, The Patagonia Kid and ME 109 like this.
  19. ME 109

Oddometer:
    Thanks man.
    Pushing rocks around has got me out of a lot of housework over the years. I reckon there's about 135 tonnes of rock, retaining wall blocks, cement blocks, concrete and gravel in my somewhat extended backyard. And it wasn't there before I came here.
    Concrete footing under the retaining wall, wall blocks glued and mechanically pinned.

The pool has a non reinforced concrete plinth all the way round to support masonry blocks of varying heights, which were glued and core filled.
    So I use cement for mortar and concrete, and flexible exterior glue a lot, but only if it's needed. My whole pool structure has no steel rebar or mesh, yet it has remained very stable since building in 2006.
    Soil type plays a big role in what one can get away with.

our pool 091.jpg
    Uke, ccmickelson, Big Bamboo and 3 others like this.
  20. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    DC3C2ED7-D941-46CA-904F-AEBA70B7C549.jpeg

The beast...waiting for the right moment to attack his unwitting victims...
    Uke, WRC51, Big Bamboo and 3 others like this.