Aotearoa New Zealand on a WR250R

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TuckerNZ, Nov 30, 2020.

1. livingcolour

livingcolour n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey @TuckerNZ, loving the ride report. Thanks for the great rundown and pix. Been fortunate to have ridden in NZ a few times and your posts are reminding me I need to get back there again.
    I've got a WR250R and was wondering how you rate the Kriega panniers? Are they easy to use, and to put on and off the bike? Worth the money?
    Thanks, and ride safe.
  2. TuckerNZ

TuckerNZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate - awesome and good choice of bike haha!

The Kriega bags are extremely well built and a great piece of kit. However, if I was buying again, I wouldn’t get them for the WR (another bike, for sure). The frame is really thick - they are much better suited to a thinner dual sport type frame such as a KTM500 or even the CRF250L and KLX250 which isn’t as thick. I struggled to find good tie down points low on the frame and it’s not been ideal. In terms of on / off, it’s partly the way I’ve had to tie it down that it’s a pain - you can easily enough loosen the base and pull the whole thing off. The bags themselves are tough to get on and off the base when loaded. What you can do is remove the liners from the bag and take those with you, then reinsert. But if you’re loaded up that’s tough as well.

You’ll also find if your stock toolkit is not installed the metal where that would normally sit will run hard on the base and needs some padding.

I’d probably steer towards the Mosko Reckless or Giant Loop Coyote if I did it again.
  3. livingcolour

livingcolour n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate - great feedback, and thanks for taking time to provide it. Enjoy the rest of your trip.