Apartment search help (Moving to North of San Francisco)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by BoomerE30, Jun 17, 2019.

1. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates!

Girlfriend and I are spending the next 1 to 2 years in the Bay Area starting in July and Im having trouble finding a place. So far been mostly exploring listings on Craigslist and Apartments.com

Budget for a 1 bedroom: <$2300

Any rec's where to look? As her job is split between Novato and SF, we must look for places to live in the San Rafael, Mill Valley and Novato area, but, all have very limited options compared to East or South of SF.

Any other sources you'd recommend using to look for a place? Perhaps one of you have a vacant property for rent?

Thanks for any tips in advance!
  2. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you already on the ground here? Or just working through listings and sites? Do you have *any* friends or family in the area who might have ears out for leads? There are so many units that never get listed, it can be worth your time going to supermarkets to look at bulletin boards, asking at churches, etc.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  3. BoomerE30

Oddometer:
    No unfortunately I cannot be in the Bay area until I actually move there first week of July, so doing this remotely is extremely tough. I do have a friend who will be looking at several apartments for me (to inspect them).
  4. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't help but I can tell you the rental market is really really tight. Networking may work out better for you. You may have to look further north then Novato. Commuting sucks but it's how a lot of people are doing it. I work in Novato and live in Santa Rosa. My 30 mile Friday afternoon commute can take over an hour if I cage it. Keep your eye on public transportation. It's getting better and if you can arrange your live/work situation to utilize it, your life may be easier.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  5. Number8teen

Number8teen Rascal Whore Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll be difficult to find a place without being physically here as landlords are very discerning. Is your girlfriend's employer providing any sort of assistance?

You could also look into extended stay options, not ideal but could give you some breathing room to find a more permanent residence. Definitely have a contingency plan. If your girlfriend can fly out for a few days to apartment hunt that would be easiest, honestly.

Join bayarearidersforum.com and post up in the residence section, never hurts to try. Also look up real estate and rental companies in the north bay - some do not bother posting on craigslist. That's how I found my current rental in Alameda.

I'm the east bay so not of much use to you but would be willing to host you guys for a week to apartment hunt if circumstances get dire w/ regards to your search.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  6. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint. Supporter

Oddometer:
    FaceBook has local market/rental groups. I'm not an expert on SF but from what i know on the area $2300/month will be very hard to fined.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  7. Number8teen

Number8teen Rascal Whore Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. BoomerE30

Oddometer:
    Wow, Number8teen. Thank you so so much for this kind offer! I will certainly keep that in mind.

Also, appreciate the links for the poperty management sites. Looking through them right now.

Either way, I am looking forward to meeting and riding with everyone in the area!
  9. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might take a look in Petaluma and Sonoma. Here's a property management link for Sonoma:
    http://sonomamanagement.com/Properties/tabid/151/agentType/ViewSearch/Default.aspx

If you should contact them, be aware that their rental rates are usually above what you can find on your own. There are other property managers around here, too. Negotiating never hurts. That said, the rental market in Sonoma county is still responding to the fires a couple years ago. Rents have stabilized but the vacancy rates are still low.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  10. BoomerE30

Oddometer:
    Thank you Friz. Will look into it, but we want to be a bit closer to San Francisco as half of the work week will be spent there.
  11. DonniBoi

DonniBoi Out of my element Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Santa Rosa and can tell you people are begging to move into rooms/houses. I have a extra room but my house is so old I only have one bathroom so I stopped dealing with roommates.

Your best bet is going to be something father away from hwy 101. More commute but cheaper rent if you can find something
  12. needles

needles Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might want to consider the Eastbay as well. The Richmond - San Rafael bridge can get you up to Marin County and Bart can likely get you into San Francisco.

It will be a touch more commute, but you might be able to find a more affordable price over here.

Cheers,

Dan
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  13. BoomerE30

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan, just settled in North Bay. Now looking for fellow ADVers to hit the trails with
    Andrew likes this.