App Comparison

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Orangecicle, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to do an in-depth (for me) comparison of track apps for an ADV article. Below are my initial thoughts about the matrix I'm thinking of using to evaluate apps. What ideas could you throw my way? What functionality is important to you?

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.47.44 AM.png
    Mr Head likes this.
  2. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Add OsmAnd+, AllSportGps and GPX pro
  3. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Will do.
  4. sati8d

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting chart. Is your article going to go into some detail as to how or not, each App actually does each of these line items? Some thoughts for you to consider.
    1. Tracks: No signal navigation?": e.g, Turn-by-turn voice prompts while navigating without a network connection? Something else?
    2. Tracks: Navigate heads up (following line): I believe the correct terminology is "Heading Up".
    3. Tracks: BluTooth Antenna Signal? Using correct terminology would be good for a published article: "Bluetooth" support for...what? What does it have to do with "Tracks." Bluetooth has over a dozen protocols. What version of Bluetooth should be supported: LE, 4.x, 5.x...?
    4. Waypoints: Load Waypoints: GPX Import? KML Import?
    5. Waypoints: Add Details to Waypoints on the fly. What Details: Name, Description...?
    6. Waypoints: Export waypoints: What formate(s): GPX, KML, other?
    I didn't callout "Offline Maps" but they really should not pertain to just Tracks. I would put them as an overall requirement. As for the "overlay" part of that line-item, all data should overlay the maps and the user should be able to select which of their data is seen on the map or not - both during active navigation or just viewing the map.
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this Android only?
  7. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If not already in your list add Locus, Kurviger, TomTom, Guru, Scenic. Where apps exist for both iOS and Android, note if differences exist between the versions. For example, The iOS TomTom app is less capable that the Android version.

Some apps are very heavy on the battery, some exhibit stability problems note these. Some apps show only one kind of map or one theme (eg roads only, no topo or satellite). Others are much more versatile. Online vs offline routing differences can be significant.

You have set yourself a monumental challenge - good luck!
    Mr Head and ErGuss like this.
  8. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based on your chart and the omitted apps, I'd say you are far from being ready to write an article on the subject, unless you are expecting us to write it for you under the pretext of discussion :-)
    AdvNener and ohgood like this.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    basically take everything that Locus does, and then try to find another app or stand alone gps that ticks the same boxes. it's a long list.

also spread sheets are terrible for real life comparisons. just because the gps or app ticks the box doesn't mean it's any good at it. see the last ten years of Garmin products as an example of ticking the box but failing miserably at execution
    AdvNener likes this.
  10. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I was going to say, pick Locus AND Osmand features lists and start from there.. good luck. :D

But as @ohgood said "check lists" really only is "entry level of analysis quality". Sometimes the box is checked but it doesn't really work in real life. Sometimes it's not but they are other ways to achieve the same usability.
    Sometimes some functions looks so "niche" that you may disregard them in a "check list" comparison, but they can be clutch (lock screen function, who cares and I never see that mentionned in reviews.. but riding in the rain with a capacitive screen?).
  11. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Look, I've been using various apps for adventure riding for years. I was a bit ahead of the crowd in dropping dedicated devices and going to apps. Early on I settled on a few that worked for me including Motion-X. When I couldn't find one that did what I wanted, I studied Swift and wrote one myself. Now I just need to evaluate what is out there to see what apps best match the functionality I'm missing now that Motion-X has shut down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The picture of the chart I posted is not the entire chart, just something that would fit on the screen and be legible. I have 25 apps to compare so far, but the list is growing. In that regard, you offered none. I asked for functionality that is important to you; you offered none. So . . . thanks, I guess?

My chart will be improved, and the list of apps will grow. As to you writing the article . . . go for it. I value this forum and, generally, the civility of it. I do my best to give back to something I value by financially supporting it, posting interesting pictures when I can, providing insight into potential areas of the country to see inclusive of tracks, and an article every now and again that may be of value to someone. Awesome if you would be so willing to take the time to contribute something positive to this place. Let's see it.
    Mr Head, AdvNener, ohgood and 2 others like this.
  12. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I'll update and clarify the chart before moving forward. Thanks for the input. "Blu" is my pup. :lol3 I use a Bad Elph Bluetooth receiver in conjunction with iOS. I just want to make sure there isn't a problem with the app recognizing the signal. I'm pretty sure iOS simply provides the available GPS signal to the app without giving the app a choice of available signals, but this is more a reminder to myself to check Swift programming guides. If apps do have a choice, I need to make sure the app picks the enhanced signal.

Blu and my Dnepr MT-11, or fake Beemer -- the "Feemer."

[​IMG]
    DRTBYK and ohgood like this.
  13. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree. But, hard data points remind you to "check the box" on a specific point before moving on to how the creature feature really works. It's a starting point to weed the wheat from the chaff and narrow the field while also avoiding the mistake of missing something important along the way.
    AdvNener and ohgood like this.
  14. sati8d

Oddometer:
    I feel for ya Orangecicle. You're doing a monumental challenge. Now if all the Monday morning Quarterbacks and gurus who know so much could find it within themselves to shut the f up and encourage and support you....or have the balls to write it themselves! Really guys, give that crap a break.
    Be helpful, not critical.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @sati8d , What might seem "critical" to you, may not be to the person who gave the input. I believe I've offered the type of feedback that was positive given my history with GPS Navigation.
    sati8d likes this.
  16. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Don’t think he was talking about you. I appreciate your thoughts.
    DRTBYK likes this.
  17. sati8d

Oddometer:
    Fair enough.
    DRTBYK likes this.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    truth!
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if that's directed at me, I think you've misunderstood my intent.... which is to steer the OP into any better process than a spread sheet. he said it's just a starting point, so that's a good thing. I'm here for support of not criticism toward, the OP
    :-)
    Sonny S. likes this.
  20. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add a capability "provide turn by turn feedback while navigating a GPX track".

Also "provide distance to next waypoint and distance to end while navigating a GPX."
    Mr Head and sati8d like this.