app review: MotoScan für BMW Motorrad (the 1000 word edition)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by sarathmenon, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Snow man

Snow man n00b

Oddometer:
    I just installed on a android Samsung S7 Edge. It will do the adapter check ok, but the only thing I get is no data on all the checks. I tried two different cables and I am using a OBDLINK. Any ideals
  2. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which cables are you trying this with? Like everything else out of china, there is a huge variance in quality.
  3. Snow man

Snow man n00b

Oddometer:
  4. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Snow man

Snow man n00b

Oddometer:
    The first one from amazon I got the message no data (adapter check was ok) so I tried the second cable with the same results. I have a 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive. I wounder if the problem is with the setup in the phone.
  6. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The K1600 has a BMS-X ECU and is CANDiag on the diagnostics socket so you need to confirm the OBDLink is compliant with CANDiag, then you need to confirm the adapter cable pin out. CANDiag is only on these new models, it is a different protocol to earlier models using different pins in the diagnostics socket

K1600
    ODBII PLug----------BMW 10 pin Plug
    1-------------------------10 - V+ Ignition
    4&5--------------------- 4 - Earth
    6------------------------- 7 - CAN Hi
    14----------------------- 9 - CAN Lo
    16----------------------- 6 - V+ Battery
  7. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^ What Wayne said. Sadly, BMW does not make an official cable, or even if they did, it would be priced out of reach of most of us. The chinese cables are a hit and miss, I wish someone would make a quality cable, and stand by it.

Also, after you have verified that the pin outs are correct, send out an email to the app developer. The last time I chatted with him, he had a firmware upgrade for the OBDLink adapters that enables the Can-lo/Can-high diags - something to do with how the dongle makers implemented that functionality. The parallel twins are one generation behind, so that firmware did not mean much for me. His website is http://www.motoscan.de/.
  8. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW does have a cable, that is why it is called an ICOM-D adaptor, yes it is over priced, partly because of some "intelligence" inbuilt to overcome duplicate usage of pin 9 on some early models, partacus.de claims to have stock but I dont know the price. For CANDiag machines though I dont know it the "intelligence" would detect the pin 9 properly without the ICOM the ICOM-D adaptor is intended to work with. There is also a clone of the BMW cable made by one of the guys in Germany but again I am uncertain of whether it only works with the ICOM. The whole problem of making the adaptors is the Kostal 10 pin plugs are on restricted supply and the clone plugs are just so poor in quality
  9. Snow man

Snow man n00b

Oddometer:
    Cables check OK. Sent a email to developer.
  10. vientoymar

vientoymar Motorbikes are a drug that change my life

Oddometer:
    Finally I bougth it.

65€ of their device (UniCarScan) plus 30€ of the app.

Service removed, errors checked and erased. Works ok.

The only problem that I had was to understand the connections. I didn't buy the plug, did it myself. And all the drawings of wiring was as opposed to what I see because it was in the plug way, not the OBD device.

Should be like that. Maybe helps someone.
    [​IMG]
  11. JustPedal

JustPedal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just purchased a UniCarScan UCSI-200 with cable:
    https://www.obd-2.de/shop/profi-dia...an-bt-diagnoseadapter?number=UCSI2000-K-SHORT

"UniCarScan UCSI-2000 is a new low-cost OBD-2 diagnostic interface from WGSoft.de. The device supports all OBD-2 diagnostic protocols of all current vehicles and, as a special feature, all diagnostic protocols of all BMW motorcycles. This adapter is ideally suited for the MotoScan app and is recommended by us directly for this Andriod App."

This works well with the MotoScan App:
    https://www.motoscan.de/

Very happy so far.
  12. bobthekelpy

bobthekelpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It'd be great if they could get the MotoScan App to function on iOS devices too though.. I know, I could just buy an Android phone I guess.

"MotoScan app is not available for iOS devices and is currently not planned".
  13. vientoymar

Oddometer:
    I could recommend you the Nomu S10.
    IP68, 5000mah of battery (more than 10 hours with GPS , screen on and full brightness) , two sims and about 100€.
    Using it only for GPS with officials off-road, and here wego onroad, and very happy.
    I think I can say goodbye to Garmin.

Enviado desde mi i15-TG mediante Tapatalk
  14. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading this tread I have ordered the OBDLink MX Bluetooth and the cable discussed above from Amazon. Unfortunately I don’t have an android phone. I have an iPhone so it’s incompatible.

Can I use an elcheapo Samsung Galaxy 7” tablet for loading Moto Scan?
    What other cheap alternative would you recommend.
    Does the android phone need to be connected with a data plan to be used ?
  15. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You just need any Android tablet or phone. Don't need a data plan. Connect it to wifi and download the app. Register it and that's it. It will run no problem

Sent from my T08 using Tapatalk
  16. vientoymar

Oddometer:
    If you only want to see errors with the free version, don't even need the expensive obd. With any chinese cheap one will do the job. If you need to delete them or reset the service, yes, you need the mx and pay at least the thirty euros version.

BMWs 800GS '10 & G650X
  17. OneEyedJack

OneEyedJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also use an iPhone. Ultimately, I purchased a prepaid Tmobile phone at Walmart (ZTE brand N9137) for $30. It may not matter but I removed the SIM card before installing the battery. Phone works great with Motoscan and did not require the purchase of cell minutes or a plan. It may not matter, but this phone only has 8GB of memory of which 5.7GB was occupied by the installed software before Motoscan. So if you go this route and intend to install other apps you may want to find a phone with more memory.

The longer saga before the prepaid phone: I went dumpster diving on eBay and bought a $50 10" Panasonic tablet that was running Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Tablet would not update the OS software. I guess Panasonic no longer supported it. The Motoscan app crashed consistently. It would connect but as soon as you selected a module it would crash. I spent more time than I should trying to figure out a way to update the OS until finally slapping myself for wasting my time.
  18. runnr548

runnr548 BMW Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hmmm..... I have a GS911, but more gadgets are always a good idea!
  19. K_K

K_K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The adapter cable is made to be used with the ICOM line of products.
    In order to flash the computers in BMW, the software is VERY persistent to insure a stable power supply during the flashing process and insist on AT LEAST 13V. This means the need for external power in order to be able to reprogram the computers.
  20. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The adaptor cable is not intended for supplying power to the machines in the BMW system as the current handling in the adaptor wiring is not sufficient for what is needed. Power supply is handled separately. The voltage requirement for some diagnostics functions is determined in part at individual script level and since the introduction of ISTA to the bike dealers many scripts are set for 14v as per the cars not 13v