app review: MotoScan für BMW Motorrad (the 1000 word edition)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by sarathmenon, Mar 15, 2016.

1. JoeInHNL

JoeInHNL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hexcode now sells an adapter cable to connect a GS-911 OBD2 to a BMW 10 pin connector.
    http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=H1-GSF-0011

Does anyone have one yet? I am curious as to what the pinout is, especially what pin 2 on the 10 pin side connects to on the OBD side.

I have run MotoScan on my R1150GS with an eBay cable. It works fine for the engine, however the 1150s use pin 2 of the 10 pin connector for ABS. As far as I can tell the ebay/amazon cables do not have anything connected to pin 2.

When I asked MotoScan which OBD pin needed to be connected to pin 2 to test ABS, this was their vague answer:
    You can try to connect the ABS to the Pin 1 of the BMW connector. But the engine control unit schuld be disconnected from the Pin. Othewise the control units can be damaged.
    It seems to me that they have not actually tested this function on an 1150.

My apologies for a mostly boxer related question in Parallel Universe but this seems to be the best thread regarding the adapter cables.

Aloha, Joe
  2. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pin out for ABS on the second pin is well known, has been for a long time, some of the cars also separate the circuits
    I am a little surprised Motoscan were not able to provide a better answer but their app may be limited in access to the 2nd circuit due to the firmware of the bluetooth adaptors they use
  3. JoeInHNL

JoeInHNL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To follow-up I tried connecting ABS pin 2 to OBD pin 7 and could not communicate with MotoScan. Likely due to my cheap Elm adapter and possibly also due to MotoScan limitations.

I then tried a GS-911 blu and received this
    Screenshot_20180204-113727.png

Went to the Hexcode website and found this:
    "*Due to protocol timing constraints, ABS-II is ONLY supported in the Windows PC software and the GS-911wifi web interface"
    GS-911 blu did work with ABS-II when I connected via USB and windows software as stated.

Aloha, Joe
  4. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here run Motoscan on a 2016 or 2017 model year bike that has the standard OBD II plug rather than the round plug?

I'm asking as I ordered an ODBLink MX, upgraded it to the lastest firmware (4.3.2). Plugged it in my car with OBDWiz on my PC and OBDLink on my Android and it works perfect. Plugged it in my bike and while I can connect to the OBDLink MX, It cannot retrieve anything from the bike. I tried connecting via Motoscan and directly using a terminal emulator, communicating with the MX and then sending commands to it to grab information from the bike. Nothing. On the MX I see the power light and bluetooth, when I send commands I see the host light flicker but I don't get anything on the OBD light.

I thought maybe my new bike had a problem with the diagnostics port so I took it to the shop and they connected it to the BMW diag machine and it worked just fine.

So through the process of elimination I know the MX is good, I know the bike is good. Since I've tried with both PC and Android to talk to the bike I don't believe they are the issue. So I'm now wondering if maybe the pin out on the diagnostics port is weird and not standard and that I'll need a custom cable made. But if one of you have used theirs successfully on a new bike then I can probably eliminate that as the issue.

I've tried the connection with the key in lock, off, on AND with the motor running. No dice! I haven't tried with the key out of the ignition.

Thanks much for any assistance you can offer!

Joe
  5. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I used the app on a model with the standard obd connector without the icom cable and it works. The only thing I tested was reset a service reminder

Sent from my T08 using Tapatalk
  6. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Thanks but argh! Not sure what to try next!
  7. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    The developer got back to me today and said that in the 2017's the protocol had changed and I needed to upgrade to .53. The version that was on play.google.com was .51. I'll test that out tonight and report back for any others who may run into this.

Joe
    hellyhans likes this.
  8. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    So version .53 works perfectly on my 2017 F800GS Adventure running the ODBLink MX on firmware 4.32

Joe
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    One final post for the evening. The developer had posted a link for version .53beta which works with my bike. The version on Google Play is .51beta. When Installed and tested .53 it worked fine but would not let me purchase any of the upgrades. I had to delete it, re-install version .51, purchase the upgrade, then delete .51 and reinstall .53 and the license still worked for ultimate and I tested on the bike and was able to set the bikes date. Lastly, Google Play was set to do automatic upgrades of apps but I had to disable that as it wanted to upgrade .53beta down to .51beta which would have broken my installation. Once .53beta or above is on Google Play then I can re-activate automatic updates.

Joe
  10. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    So to solve all of the above issues the developer sent me an invite to the beta group on google play. As such it will keep me up to date with all his releases.

Joe
    bobw likes this.
  11. Corrado68

Corrado68 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new to the forum and I landed here while searching for alternatives to the expensive GS-911. This thread includes a lot of useful information, thank you to all that contributed to it.

However, I haven't found the answer to this question: has anybody here used the MotoScan app successfully with an OBDLink MX Wi-Fi version? I see a lot of feedback on BT devices of various brands, but I wanted to purchase the MX Wi-Fi version so that I can also use it for my Camaro (that needs the MX version) with an iOS device/app (that needs the Wi-Fi version), since all my mobile devices are iOS based (except for an older Samsung phone that I would use only for the MotoScan app with the R1200RT).

I understand that the Wi-Fi connection to the device will prevent the phone from connecting to the internet while connected to the device, but I guess this should not be a problem as long as the phone is connected to the Internet when the MotoScan app starts, so that it can read the license.

Thank you!
    Corrado
  12. Corrado68

Corrado68 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got this reply from the developer of the app:

For the MotoScan is OBDLink LX or MX Bluetooth required. The MX WIFI has a old firmware.

I guess that I'll buy the MX Bluetooth then. Hopefully my old Samsung Note will be able to run the MotoScan app and any app needed to scan my Camaro, otherwise I'll have to buy some cheap (but newer) Android device. Still much cheaper than the GS-911 :-)
  13. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth and it works great. Make sure to upgrade it to the latest firmware 4.3.2 from https://www.scantool.net/downloads/updates/obdlink_mx/. Also, MotoScan requires Android 4.03 as a minimum. You can check your version in settings on the phone. As far as performance goes, it doesn't take much. I'm an iPhone user so I purchased an AT&T pre-paid cell phone from Walmart for $38. It is SLOW in general but runs MotoScan extremely well as I don't think MotoScan puts much of a load on it. The MX unit will also come with a license for ScanTool which works really well on my cars. Finally, after getting MotoScan setup I'd ask to be on the beta so you can try and run the latest code as he adds features in the beta releases way before they come out in the mainline releases.
  14. Corrado68

Corrado68 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great feedback!
    Thanks. The MotoScan website for some reason still refers to version 4.3.0 as the latest firmware to use as of 01/2018 but I can see the 4.3.2 version on the scantool website and since you verified it, I'll go with that one. I see two versions one for Rev.1.x and the other one for Rev.2.x, I guess I'll know which one to use when I receive the ODBLink MX...
    Is that Android 4.03 or 4.3? The MotoScan website says "Ein Android Smartphone oder Tablet mit Android Version 4.3 oder höhe" which means "Android 4.3 or later". My Samsung Note I has version 4.1.3 so the difference is relevant.
    The phone runs the MotoScan Lite version, but I haven't connected the OBDLink MX as I haven't received it yet... (I've read in this thread of an user - not sure if it was you - that had the App crashing when trying it on an older Android device). I guess I'll figure out :-)
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Go to play.google.com and look at the requirements for the app. It tells me 4.03!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Corrado68

Corrado68 n00b

Oddometer:
    Update: the ODBLink MX Bluetooth and the BMW adapter Cable arrived this evening (thank you Amazon Prime!) and I immediately tested them with the bike and the Lite version of MotoScan. Connection to the device and to the bike was instantaneous, everything worked fine except those features that were blocked by the Lite license, so I decided to purchase the Ultimate license.

The service warning is now gone! I also fixed the motorcycle date (for some reason, it was one day ahead, as if it was reading the EU timezone?) and set the next reminder in 10,000Km or 12 months. By the way, I haven't found how to change the units in miles yet.

While I was at it, I checked all error messages and found an issue in the "chassis electronics" area, which was an unstable connection with one of the taillights. The bulb was working, but the diagnostic reported an intermittent issue with it, so I took the taillight off and noticed that one of the two lamps was weaker than the other. When I unplugged it, its electrical foot contact came apart (see picture). It's a minor thing (I simply changed the light bulb) but another reason to be happy with the MotoScan/OBDLink purchase :-)

I also downloaded the ODBLink app and tested it with the Camaro... also that one works perfectly on my old Samsung Note :wings

Thank you guys for pointing me to this great tool, I owe you one :beer

Lamp.jpeg
  17. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was on the fence to buy GS-911 WIFI version to reset service on my '17 R12GSA. Since bike is under warranty for another two years I don't have much interest in using it for troubleshooting/repair. I only wanted to reset service and faults while on the road to keep bike moving.

Instead of GS-911 I bought the ODBLink LX from Amazon for $50 delivered. Installed MOTOSCAN on an old Android phone that was in a drawer and within a few minutes my service was reset. The app was $27.xx so total spend was $77.xx. Not a bad deal.
    dwheil and morfic like this.
  18. giaretos

giaretos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Did anyone succeed in reading O2 voltage for an f800gs? ( i own a 2014 f800gs adventure, using obdlink lx and motoscan).
    In live data i only see lambda control output value.
  19. vientoymar

vientoymar Motorbikes are a drug that change my life

Oddometer:
    I own a F800GS and it's impossible to read any Digital Input real time data, the app simply get closed.
    I send the log to the developer and answer me that he's checking it, but no more answers yet.
  20. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased the MotoScan Ultimate. Using it with an OBDLink LX on my wife's 2010 F650GS. It is working except for one thing. When I try Engine Electronics - Live Data - Add Parameter - Inputs digital - Clutch switch - Play, the result is an "unexpected error". The same thing happens when I try the side stand switch. Does this work for anyone else?

EDIT: I guess I am having the same issue as the previous post.

Thanks.