Approching roadkill, do you look or avert your eyes?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Jun 23, 2020.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to look at roadkill when i saw it coming up whatever lane it was in. Now i look away. My eyes arent good enough to tell from far away what it is and i dont want to look down and see its someones kitty.

Or that the poor animal isnt quite dead yet and is suffering. No way can i stop and put it out of its misery.

I hate it when the little chippies dart out in front of me, did i run over it? I dont know and i dont want to look.
  2. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Came upon a dead deer one time on a blind corner and scared a turkey vulture off of it. That giant bird flew down the road just barely ahead of me by less than a bike length for 200 ft. Don't see that every day.

Piston
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  3. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So for your OWN selfish shallow comfort you'd ride past a suffering animal rather than stopping and helping a creature which needed help and was unable to help
    itself ?

That's one of the most utterly selfish, disgusting, and pathetic things I have ever heard a human being say. And it also says there is something seriously wrong with your ability to have compassion for other living things.

I'm squeamish myself, but there are times when you simply have to DO WHAT IS RIGHT, and allowing some poor creature to continue to suffer is NOT DOING WHAT IS RIGHT. I've stopped and taken injured animals to the vet so the animal could either be treated or euthanized, and it was not easy not was it fun, but it was the right thing to do and if I did not do it it's possible no one else would have. It's called DOING WHAT IS RIGHT, regardless of your own comfort.

It's never too late to improve as a human being. This could be your chance. Quit looking the other way and stand tall and help a creature if it needs help. Some day you might just be such a creature, and consider how would YOU feel if people ignored your cries for help. If you doubt this is possible, Google "Kitty Genovese".
    Ironhorse 332 likes this.
  4. tennistime99

tennistime99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had 3 come out of the trees right next to me a couple days ago. I saw the first one and thought it was a hawk, then the second one flew out and I saw it's red head. While checking then out the last one popped out right next to me and bounced off my right mirror. Scared the hell out of me.
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    For clarification, an animal such as a raccoon or porkupine that has been run over, is mortally wounded with visible gaping injuries, i should be picking it up somehow, loading it onto my bike, somehow and riding it to a vet?

That was the scenario i was referring to not a lighly injured animal. Please tell me how to pick up and transport a meduim sized injured animal on a small motorcycle without putting myself at risk either from animal bites or a safety ascpect of riding/controlling a motorcycle on the roadway.

Plus i was talking about animals that are already dead...roadkill.

You will be happy to hear how i spent 45 minutes the other night trying to help a huge snapping turtle cross the road that was intent on trying to remove at least one of my firngertips.

I will try and become a better human being though. Not the utterly selfish, digusting and pathetic human i currently am. :( :augie
  6. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I look and pick my line and go around.
  7. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down my street, on a quick errand yesterday, I hit one of those suicidal rabbits. Stupid thing darted out just in time to get under my back tire. Rear view mirror confirmed it was one flat rabbit. On the return trip I saw I had hit it dead center. An hour later when I went out again, it was gone. Some coyote (we have lots in our neighborhood) had a freshly tenderized breakfast. Roadkill removed!
  8. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    But......you hit a rabbit, didnt stop and take it to the vet????????????

That was your chance to become a better human being, you monster.:hide
  9. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Which is worse...
  10. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But he feed the local coyote population, it was a good thing.
  11. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hit a kangaroo once, went back to look for it and suddenly realized that my only option would be to beat it to death with the spanner from the stock tool kit. Turned around, checked the bike for damage and rode on.
  12. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. Not too sanctimonious are you? Yes, the whole human race should improve, because it's not to late, to be more like you. Scheez, what tripe!

A few years ago, I came across a kitten that I believe had either been hit by a passing vehicle, or abused. I passed it on a back road doing maybe 70 mph, slowed down, stopped, turned around and went to see what I could do. It was in very bad shape but still alive. My heart sank as I had to make a decision: stop my ride, pick the kitten up, put it in my jacket, or a side case, ride to a vet, maybe 30 miles or more, which would cause the poor animal even more pain and trauma, or leave it to its fate. I chose to leave the animal to die naturally so I would not cause it more pain and trauma. Why didn't I put it out of its misery, and do the "humane" thing? I'm not a god. I have not right to choose what animal lives and dies based on my feelings/thoughts.

Oh, and BTW, I am vegetarian/vegan. How about you? If you eat animals that are purposely bred to live a tortured life and then murdered so you can eat them on the cheap, you need to STFU about how others treat animals because that makes you a foul hypocrite. If your are vegetarian/vegan, and choose to kill animals based on your value system, you are still an animal killer.

No, the world does not need to be more like you.
  13. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please send more google suggestions on improving myself. Im waiting....:dirtdog
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Around here road kill is often covered with turkey buzzards or whatever type bird it is. Those birds usually wait until the last minute to leave their feast and I have come pretty close to hitting them. I normally slow down and watch the birds, not the road kill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bwringer, Bar None, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have begun to look as soon as I can make out what it is. Too many times I've driven by some poor squirrel flopping around in pain, and thought too late that I should have run it over and put it out of its misery. I have also thought about what that might look like to a car behind me..."That heartless jackass hit the poor squirrel on purpose!"

A flopping deer would require a firearm to put down, which adds a whole level of concerns about ricochet, proximity to residential areas, etc.

If it's someone's pet, I'd have to stop and see if it was able to be saved.
  16. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I always check for maggots.:rofl
    Whodatschrome, Traxx and trumpet like this.
  17. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was mentioned to pick the line or look where you want to go and buzzards constitute a real threat so that rider slows down. Me? Buzzards get my 155 decibel two-tone horn and slow down. Had to terminate a raccoon and a cat because they were not fixable except by the One who made them. I stop for turtles that like to warm themselves on the asphalt in the morning sun; put 'em on the side of the road. I refuse to lecture to people in any high and mighty fashion on what they should do. I would like the rest of you welcome a discussion like most of this post.

I have been trying for years to lose that high and mighty tendency with some marginal success! Har, har!
    LS650, Traxx, klaviator and 1 other person like this.
  18. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    It's what you do when no one's looking, or no one there to report to. Your action is just between you and the almighty. That's when you know if you done right or wrong.

But yeah, I brake for turtles too, and will help them cross the road. Some folk are heartless.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  19. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    If it's interesting enough I stop and take a photo of it. :lol2

[​IMG]
    Whodatschrome, Traxx and T-34 like this.
  20. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-6-24_14-49-41.png

sometimes, it’s labeled for you.