1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

April Fools Ride

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Buzzez, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    I'm calling this the April fools ride. Why? Well, it's set for the first weekend of April which just so happens to be April 1-2-3. Clever eh? The Arkansas Turkey season doesn't start till the 9th so we won't be disturbing the hunters if we go riding on this weekend. That's a good thing, because I'm planning on searching out some really remote areas in the Ozark National Forest.

This will be a dual sport ride with an emphasis on finding hilly twisty gravel roads and primitive camping in the wilderness. Not looking for trails, but if we find some that my GS can navigate, then I'm all for it.

Here's my plan so far, Friday 7:30 AM meet at The Diamonds truck stop at the more western exit of 100 and 44. If you're going west on 44 make a right onto 100 then a left at the first light onto Old 100. Gas up at the gas station right there at the intersection then go on to the restaurant just over the hill. We'll eat breakfast before we head out by around 8-8:15. We'll stop in Gainesville, MO for lunch. Then finish out the day riding to Richland Creek Campground. It's just south of Dickey Junction, Arkansas

I've got some tested and proven nice roads picked out for the trip down and back the riding on Saturday will be 'exploratory' for the most part. That, to me, is the most fun. I do plan on eating out mostly, but if someone wants to bring their own food, maybe we could have a meal or 2 out in the woods. If you feel you live too far from the meeting place to get there in time. I've got room here at my place for you and your bike to stay Thursday night. Or if you prefer doing your own ride, just meet us at the Campgrounds. I'm easy, so lets ride!:ricky
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Have you decided where you are camping Friday night, yet? That could be a good meeting place for those that can't be riding Friday morning early.
  3. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Setting up camp at, Richland Creek Campground. It's just south of Dickey Junction, Arkansas :thumb
  4. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I'm not making any promises at this time, but who knows, I may be able to make it. Having a campground located will help those poor bastidges that still have to work. :D
  5. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    It sounds like a good time.

I'm not going to show up and stand there all alone, get home and read April fools on my screen am I? Not that I would care, I'd still be riding.
  6. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha ha he he Skinners down in the Ozark National Forest with nothing but trails and trees and gravel roads around him. I sure pulled one on him. :lol3
  7. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  8. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    April fools wiil be in the gps coords :evil
    Sounds like a nice ride buzz, sorry I cant make it. hope to meet you soon

:freaky

chain
  9. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Oh, we'll be meeting. :nod I'm going to try to get up to the Spring ride. I just can't commit since it's just a couple of weeks after the April Fools ride. 2 weekends a month out is pretty hard for me to pull off.
  10. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    Is this the 100 and 44 between Union and Grays Summit? If so, I'll be there...if I haven't found a job and am being forced to work.
  11. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    You're in Rolla? If you want, you could meet up with us in Bixby (1st stop) :thumb
  12. Machineman

Machineman Captain Ray

Oddometer:
    It sounds like a good time. I might join in. I will keep an eye on this thread and keep you posted.
  13. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

Think :ricky and lots of it. :nod :thumb
  14. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    Bixby on 32 it is. I'll get up with ya before the event and get estimated times etc.
  15. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

It's about 100 miles from the Diamonds to Bixby. If we leave the Diamonds at 8:15 or so, we should be rolling into Bixby by about 9:45 or 10:00 (roughly)
  16. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    Excellent! I'll get to work on finishing making my panniers and checking out the camping gear.
  17. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

You won't be disappointed. :thumb The roads going down have been ridden and rated A+. :nod Last night, I plotted out what look like some choice gravel roads down in the Ozark National Forest for Saturday. I'm pumped and ready to roll. :jive :ricky
  18. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    I was out riding around yesterday (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL OZARK DAY!!!) and sampled some new gravel roads. If you are ever down Rolla way on 44 you have GOT to ride the Doolittle Racetrack, a.k.a Highway C. Exit 179 and go west on the north outer road then turn right onto C. It deadends at a hunting club on the Gasconade and is some fine asphalt, almost no traffic, and a bunch of serious corners. Not to mention a few choice vistas. Check it out sometime.
    See you Apr 1:thumb
  19. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Some years ago, I rode with my local club down to a restaurant built in a cave overlooking the Gasconade. Can't remember the restaurants name, but I'm pretty sure it was near Richland. Some great riding for sure in you neck of the woods. :nod
  20. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    Buzzez
    That would be Caveman's BBQ...not the best BBQ in the area, but definitely the best atmosphere. It's up HWY 7 toward Richland so your memory is still funtioning well. Unlike me who suffers from CRS:D

For just plain good BBQ in the area, try Sweetwaters on the south outer at I44 exit 163.