1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Aprilia 1200 Rally

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by JohnG., Feb 20, 2015.

1. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a GSXR 750 for the track. would love to take the capo nord on the track.. One of the track places up here does a non sport bike track day...
  2. Dracer35

Dracer35 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only time I had mine on the track it still had the stock tires on it with around 7000 miles so I wasn't trying to push it. I'd like to give it another try with fresh rubber. I wish I had a sportbike to ride but at the moment track duty is handled by my 500exc with supermoto wheels swapped on it. I also have an Aprilia SXV450 that will be next year's bike once I get the engine back from Allen Noland. I have never ridden the gsxr 750 on tack but I bet it would be fun.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  3. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tony track days does it in thomspon and palmar track days. they do sell fast . i have never done a non sport bike day .i did take my fjr on a regular one. i really do not thing one needs the non sport bike day as every one i have done the lower group has touring and cruisers. same goes for penguin and fishtail. My 2001 sv650 is not fast either so i putt around in the intermediate groups fine with it.
  4. Dracer35

Oddometer:
    Agreed. You can ride just about anything in the lower groups and be fine. I normally ride in the intermediate group and had no problem on the Capo or the supermotos even though I get blown away on the straiJust gotta work on the outside line passes lol.
    Screenshot_20191223-081938.jpg
    Screenshot_20191223-081301.jpg
  5. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My self built barn find sv650 would back fire at full gas and buck and i understand the being passed on the straights. So i will only rev to like 9 and short shift haha.... brutal. i sold it a few months back and now looking a FI bike . The one funny thing is a light bike can haul down at the brakes. So you get passed on the straights and i pass on the brakes on turn 1 ... always puts a grin on my face. When the faster bike so wide to the left and brake early you dive inside and brake hard .
    Dracer35 likes this.
  6. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my first track day was on an 07 GS 1200 in the pouring rain with fishtail
    Dracer35 likes this.
  7. jay dub

jay dub dudeman

Oddometer:
    Your motor couldn't be in better hands than w/ Allen. Be sure to ask him for one of his custom maps! I can't say enough good things about them and how much they bring the bike to life!

I don't know how you guys can ride the Capo on the track....I wouldn't have any pegs left after only a few sessions.
  8. Dracer35

Oddometer:
    Yep, he is mapping the engine for me also.

On the Capo you just hang off as much as possible and try not to drag the hard parts lol. Obviously it has its limits.
  9. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    During the last ride I took on my '16 Capo Rally I was unable to reliably turn on and/or set the speed on the cruise control. The brake lights seem to be working properly, both front brake and rear brake. Has anyone run into issues with the clutch switch?
  10. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, Mine was at loudon on a bandit 1200 is rain too. Turn 2 in 2005 was slick with the oil from those nascars. Afternoon was clear , sunny and empty due to all the crashes.
    Leebo likes this.
  11. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    No issue with clutch or brake switches, but the cruise button is very Italiano. It works, or it doesn’t, it’s not a big thing no?, look how beautiful she is!

Get one of those clear sticky buffer thingys that are the same size as the button. Helps to push it in like you actually mean it.

https://www.bumperspecialties.com/p...dhesive-protective-non-skid-rubber-feet-bs01/
  12. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No issues with the CC but dont use it very often.
  13. jwdub

Oddometer:
    Paul124ac, I put on the "button" several years ago.
    Paul124ac likes this.
  14. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then I'd be looking at the switch. It all works via the CANbus so any dirt/dust on the contacts is going to cause bad data.
    I gave mine a squirt with good quality CO contact cleaner, I deal with CANbus every day as part of my job and it's real common for a simple switch to stuff everything. I had trouble last ride with things not working and that was low voltage in the battery (original), it was chucking codes on the screen tho, nothing coming up on yours?
  15. jwdub

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's on my list to remove the clutch perch and the right side switch cluster so I can inspect the switchs more closely and -- as you say use some contact cleaner.
  16. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    I like the bumper pad on the CC switch idea. Will be looking for one of those. Just got my Capo and haven't had a lot of great weather to ride so only have done about 500 mi on it so far. CC working fine.

When I bought the bike it had pretty much been sitting since new, only 700 miles on it when I bought it late last Oct. Owner had charged the battery and thought it was fine. I paid for it, rode off, got about 5 blocks and it went into limp mode. Turned around real quick and headed backt to his place and it barely hauled my butt up a slight hill, didn't think I would make it back! He took me to get a new battery and yep, limp mode, it hates any low voltages! Been fine since, I will be adding a Signal Dynamics Voltage monitor to it, "just in case". Save me on my Tiger when the stator blew out. It started flashing red and I knew not to turn the bike off until I made it back home.

Anyone have any long term reports on the the charging system on these bikes? Good, bad, fair, horrible? Hate to get stranded in limp mode if something decides to crap out when I in some remote area out here in the West.
  17. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charging seems pretty good, never had a tender on my bike and it doesn’t get a lot of use (around 5k kms per year), original battery lasted 4 years. Did a thousand km trip last weekend and installed a new battery, oil change and general maintenance before I left plus gave it a wash. Wish I hadn’t. Musta got some moisture in the plug for the active forks, it had the red warning light on and the suspension graphic was flashing all three options at once. Day 2 it was fine, day 3 it was flashing, day 4 it flashed for half the ride. You don’t realise how good the ADD is until you don’t have it.
  18. Dracer35

Oddometer:
    New shoes on the Ape! Ready for Adventure Palooza 2020!

Snapchat-1649400934.jpg
    StelvioGT and stevie99 like this.
  19. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us know how that makes out in the dirt.. i can not imagine wrestling that around off road...
  20. Dracer35

Oddometer:
    Will do. The bike has never let me down so far. This was last week with the street tires still on it.

IMG_20200914_213929_000.jpg