Aprilia build

Discussion in 'Australia' started by G.T, Dec 30, 2008.

1. CPWSAFARI

CPWSAFARI Silverback

Oddometer:
    Hi

Is there a website or contact details for this gear please ?

In the west the fast guys running the twin had issues with gearing due to the shape of the swingarm-chain sawed through when trying to get more top end. They were however hitting the rev limiter at 170 kph and looking for more !!!!

The 09 models have ditched the sexy swingarm and gone back to a conventional straight extrusion to allow more flexibility for rear sprockets.

cheers
    Don
  2. G.T

G.T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Battery, extremely small and light...less than 1 kg. Normal size battery on the left.

[​IMG]
  3. G.T

G.T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Don

Yeah I have been talking with Warren about his set ups . I have heard the same about the gearing issues but after talking with the guys who designed and built this Rallye kit, they have not had an issue???.

I hope to be picking up an 09 model as soon as they hit OZ shores or pick up an 09 swing arm as the rest of the bike is basically the same as 08.

How is the Meca systems kit going are you importing it to sell or just as per user deal ??

Look up B-art in Google and you will find the designer. he may not get back to you for a few weeks as he is navigating for a car crew in the Dakar.

Cheers
  4. G.T

G.T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Battery mounted in the bash plate.

[​IMG]
  5. CPWSAFARI

CPWSAFARI Silverback

Oddometer:
    Yes, but Warren seems to have big balls for speed !! !

Re the meca stuff, we will bring it in based on user requirements. While it is great stuff, the exchange and freight rates make it way too expensive. Apart from the rear tanks, we will make everything else here in the west and make it more suitable for our events (ie don't need all the bits for gps etc).

Since the build of the grabbo concept kato for the Melbourne/Sydney bike shows, we have started on another kato which will see the adaptation of our ideas and the best of the imported bits so as not to reinvent the wheel and to follow the KISS concept.

Hopefully this should be ready for the Gold Coast show.

Like you, I think the Aprilia is not only a great looking bike, but has a lot going for it in the desert so good to see it being done and followed through.

cheers and keep the A build photos going...
  6. L0cky

L0cky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on the top speed you are looking for the swing arm may be an issue with gearing choice. I have a friend that road races an SXV and even with the 1:1 5th gear they still run into problems. I have an 09 RXV 5.5 that I'm building for RallyMoto and sustained top speed is crytical. With 15/43 and approximately a 26" dia tire I can hit 160 kph@ 10k in packed sand. The bike doesn't want to pull hard above above 10k and I don't want to be bouncing off the limiter for long stretches anyway. I also take into account wheel slip when calculating gearing. The 09's swing arm does look like it will accept smaller gears without being chewed up. I have 38-40 tooth sprockets I hope to test in the next few days. I'll let you know what works with the new swingarm if you are interested.

I have not checked it out myself but I have been told the the CRF 450 swingarm is a dirrect bolt on to the SXV/RXV frame. This may be a cheaper alternative for you.

Who makes the bash plate and battery? Did it come with the battery mount or did you all fab it in?
  8. G.T

G.T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi BC61

Yeah i will be interested to see how you’re gearing test come out?? At the moment the bike comes standard with 15-48 gearing which is useless for what I need I am going to put a 45 on to see how it goes and if all goes well I will try a 14 on the front...see what that gives me. Obviously I need to be able to cruise at a decent pace without revving the bags out of the engine but I don't want to loose all the bottom end ..

If you llok at the photo's of the Aprilia rallye bikes from the Pharoahs rallye they look like they have reduced the front sprocket rather then the rear ?? this may help with the chain angle ??

That is the first I have heard about the CRF swing arm...It doesn't surprise me if it does fit as there are a number of parts that will fit the Aprilia from a CRF Brake pads, clutch plates, triple trees, gear and brake levers, and I believe sprockets front and rear.

The bash plate comes with the battery mount and is made by Star Twin who also made the rest of the Rallye kit.

Keep me posted on your findings.

Cheers
  9. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    I'm confused here GT. Aren't you trying to get more top end speed? You would move to the 16 front sprocket. The 14 would negate any improvement gained with the 45, or am I missing something?
  10. G.T

G.T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Morning.

K2m yep you are correct , I had a blonde moment....
  11. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    14 is the wrong diresction if looking for more top end. Unfortunately 16 won't fit on the RXV, it doesn't clear the swingarm or clutch actuator.

I have the 550 so it probably isn't an accurate comparrison but the 15/43 combo still had plenty of low end and I think would work for anything other than continous tight woods. May require a little clutch work if you encounter any crawl pace technical stuff.
  12. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just looked at pictures of the Pharoahs rally, sharp bikes. I've been looking for a big brake kit for mine. Did a caliper relocator come with your kit? I can't blow the picture up big enough and clear to see what they used.
  13. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
  14. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been all over that site, unfortunatley there are so few RXV's out there it's hard to get info pertaining to them. That thread refers to the SXV which has a longer counter shaft so a 16 tooth sprocket fits.
  15. markamazing

markamazing That didn't hurt!

Oddometer:
    This Tread is WAAAAYYY better than Toxic Brittney!
    Well almost..
    Nice bike!
    should be a runner!

I think I'll go out to the garage and set my KLR on fire..
  16. G.T

G.T Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi BC61

Mate there is a large rotor kit I could have orded along with the Rallye kit but I am pretty impressed with the standard 270mm front rotor. Jos from B-art said that the larger caliper carrier is a Yamaha part and the larger disc is a 320mm full floating wave rotor from Braking.

Cheers.
  17. G.T

G.T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hay guys does anyone know of a good auto sparky who is willing to work on bikes in the Melbourne area. I live out towards Bendigo..

Cheers
  18. AUS CRUZER

AUS CRUZER Lets Cruz

Oddometer:
    PM sent. By the way im lovn this bike of yours and havnt even ridden one:lurk
  19. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep the juice flowing guys, this is the most interesting/enthralling thread for ages. Keep those pics coming too. Its great.

If I understand things correctly, the diameter of the larger counter-shaft sprocket wont clear the swingarm so you machine the tips off the teeth to get clearance and then shave a small bit of material from the swingarm itself. It should not effect operation at all. Simple, but very clever.

G.T, how close to Bendigo are you?
  20. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting/enthralling , not to mention funny as well............:lol3