Aprilia Caponord 2014

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Forseti, Feb 9, 2014.

  1. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :clap:clap:clap

    Congrats!

    I'm sure the fueling will sort itself out if it's already better. I never noticed any problems on mine, but I do know if they have to reset the "brain" for any reason, it gets a little pissy and takes a while to find its happy place.

    Re. CC, I'd recommend keeping it off during the run-in period. You want to basically avoid 2 things: lugging the motor and constant RPMs.

    FWIW, I ride my bikes from new like I stole them. Hard excel, then dump the throttle and let the engine compression decel the bike, rinse and repeat (open, back roads for the first 100 miles). This slams the rings against the cylinder walls right from the get go while there is still a bit of scoring on the walls. By 100 miles most of that is gone, so if you want a really tight seal for the best compression, most power, and least oil bypass, give her the whip. :evil Iv'e done this with all of my new bikes and they have all been very strong runners with little to no oil use. The one exception was my BMW, which I broke in "by the book". What a mistake. That bike always ran rough and burned oil like a diesel. :cry

    Enjoy! :thumb

    -SM
  2. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I was always a fan of the "ride it like you stole it" crowd but it has been 15 years since I had a new bike. My last 3 new to me bikes had a combined 78000 miles.
    I really like the sound of that bike when you romp on it and you can really tell the difference between the modes.
  3. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Did a longish trip 2-up the past few days on the Tiger XRx and while it is a spectacular bike, I've come to the conclusion that for 2-up longer haul I need a bit more bike. Back to considering the Capo, as the MV Turismo has reignited my Italy fetish. Seems like a no-brainer at the bargain prices. And of course this is now at the point where I got the Tiger dialed in with screen, saddle, etc. Oh well, it's a journey, not a destination...
  4. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I plan on putting my impressions of the bike as I go on this thread.. If it helps in your decision then all the better. I bought mine after test riding and talking to Sock.. I am headed out for a loop in a few minutes.. Will let you know.
  5. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I guess I'll put this info here rather than in the Rally thread since I believe this effects all ADD bikes (Capo TP and Rally). I found something interesting that I wanted to share....

    As some of you know, I haven't been riding much lately due to "stuff" that has been going on. As a result, my bike ('16 Rally) has been sitting quite a lot. To keep things running properly, I keep it on a battery tender and start it up about once a month and let it warm up a bit (2 bars on the temp gauge). Pretty routine stuff that we all should do when our bikes aren't being ridden regularly. Well, imagine my surprise when I went out to the garage to give the big gal her monthly warm up and I found about a teaspoon of oil had pooled under the left fork leg (it had dripped onto the wheel and made a little puddle). I cleaned it up, wiped off the fork leg, and checked back the next day (I didn't start the bike, I just left it). More oil was beginning to run down the fork leg. I KNEW it wasn't anything trapped in the seal because the forks hadn't leaked a drop before I stopped riding. Then it hit me: I bet this is due to the ADD somehow pressurizing the fork leg after my last "warm up" and literally forcing oil past the seal, very similar to what could happen to my MX bikes if I didn't bleed off the built up pressure. :norton

    To fix it (yes, it's stopped leaking) I started the bike, backed it up, then ran it forward and locked the front wheel to get a good brake dive. I did this 3-4 times to make sure I really worked the internals. Apparently this was enough to relieve the pressure because it's been about a week now and I haven't noticed any weeping at the seal (I wipe around the seal with a tissue as that will show even the smallest amount of oil).

    So, there you have it. I haven't seen this behavior reported anywhere so hopefully this will help others if they need to store their bikes for a while and do a monthly warm up. Just add a few steps to work the front suspension and you shouldn't ever have a problem.

    Ride safe everyone. :ricky

    -SM
  6. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Cool. We took one for a test ride today up into the hills a bit and it is an impressive bike. The suspension, as others have noted, is pretty damn brilliant. Fueling was fine, pillion comfort was good (though a top box is needed for the long haul). Only negative comment from the passenger was some vibration from the pegs. It is a twin after all so not sure that will completely go away but on the way down the hill I wasn't pushing as hard and she said there was less. I suspect in 6th gear on the freeway it wouldn't be very noticeable.

    Working some trade numbers for the Tiger, though not sure I'll like the figure :p

    Though if I can make room in the garage, I'm going to see if the dealer will make me a 2-1 deal and add an F3 as well. Life is short...
  7. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Sock thanks for the info.
    I did 130 miles on the Ape this afternoon and following Socks advice and others i have read I did a break in routine that definitely was not the recommended by the factory .
    to quote sock from his post above " Hard excel, then dump the throttle and let the engine compression decel the bike, rinse and repeat (open, back roads for the first 100 miles). "
    that is what I did.. i had no traffic around me most of the day so i was able to hit the gas and slow down and hit the gas and slow down and repeat...
    The fueling issue is sorting it self out... seems less and less a problem.. as I have said before the bike sounds awesome.
    now I am not a pro rider but have been riding for over 40 years and this bike in sport mode or touring mode has more than enough balls for me... yes the mutistrada has 25 hp more but i dont need it..
    I am a big believer in the fact that 90 % of riders can not ride their bikes to the full potential of said machine... said that in the 80 and say it now even more with 150 plus HP bikes...so in my mind this bike is not lacking in power. I do feel it is rather high geared but I will get used to that.
    my biggest complaints so far? no self canceling turn signals and the mirrors.. The mirrors look nice but I would rather have the function of big round mirrors over the good looks.
    I am very happy with my choice of new bike...
    here are few shots up in Vermont.
    IMG_4694.JPG IMG_4688.JPG IMG_4691.JPG
    bobw likes this.
  8. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Glad you are enjoying the new bike. :thumb

    FYI, the turn signals ARE self-canceling. They do this by distance traveled and time, not speed or lean or anything like that. See page 106 of your manual. Short version is if moving, they cancel after 500m (.3 miles in real money :evil ) or 40 seconds, which ever comes first.

    -SM
  9. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    They do self-cancel but it takes about twice as long as you'd expect - or at least compared to my Triumph.
    wimpy likes this.
  10. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Really? Holy shit they take a long time... I will try that again on the way to work tomorrow...
  11. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    That owners manual kind of sucks hahaha
  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I look at the state of the manual the same way as I look at the overall state of Aprilia's customer-facing business model, which is anywhere from an afterthought to non-existent. It's a shame because their design and engineering seem excellent. I compare this to BMW's overall business model and it's a lesson in contrasts. You can't open a motorcycling magazine without seeing a BMW ad. Every month I get another email about a BMW-sponsored event (demo tour, sales event, etc). Hell, as I sit here I'm looking at a solid block of crystal with a superbly detailed 1923 BMW R32 etched INSIDE the block (no clue how they did it!) that came in a nice big leather-covered box with a book about BMW's history, a multi-tool, and a really nice tire pressure gauge, all of which came in the mail as a result of me purchasing a R1200GS. Now THAT'S marketing. THAT is how you invest the customer in your brand. Yes, it was over-the-top and expensive for them, and Aprilia doesn't have the budget for that, but to compare the two is like comparing apples to horses. Surely Aprilia can do better than they are right now, and it wouldn't cost them much to do it..... :becca

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    -SM
  13. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    I got one of those. I also had a $3K ABS module failure on my GS, and was stranded twice by the bike.

    Then again, my Shiver stranded me 3x and took Aprilia a month to figure out the cause (I was an early adopter). So I guess Aprilia wins that battle :D
  14. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I had a rear caliper fail on my GS (locked one of the pads against the rotor), eating the pad, caliper, and rotor. BMW blamed me (as if I can somehow lock ONE of the pads against the rotor...the other pad was perfect) and wouldn't warranty it. My dealer stepped up and paid for parts on a "good will" warranty claim, all I had to pay was labor (about $500 of the $1500 bill), but it showed me BMW won't stand behind their products. I've since ready many accounts of similar behavior by BMW corporate, so I'll never buy another one. Well, "never" is a long time, so let's just say I won't buy another one unless/until the mother ship pulls their head out of their arse and supports the products they sell. Until then, my money goes elsewhere.

    Anyway, back to the Aprilia, so far so good. I think the time is right for them to push a bit in this market to pick up some market share, but I doubt they'll do it. So....I guess I'll keep riding another rare Italian bike and just enjoy the roads ahead. :ricky

    -SM
    bobw likes this.
  15. bobw

    bobw Harden the phuck up

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Oddometer:
    2,181
    Location:
    God's country, Western North Carolina
    Has anyone had any pricing of a "major" service in U.S. shops? I do most of my own stuff still, but I do (like to) use the shop on occasion. My Stelvio and futura took me all over the Country with no problems, but I did use the dealer in NC (no longer with us) and Moto International when out West. Anyways, I easily could need 2+ major services a year and the cost at a dealer was a main reason I passed on Ducati and BMW is no longer an OEM I will support.
  16. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Well, we have a deal. Tomorrow I ride the Tiger to the dealer, ride the Capo home. Just have to wait a bit for top box and heated grips. Should be festive and the garage will be all Italian now (wife's Fiat 500e, MV Turismo Veloce and now the Capo).
  17. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Nostatic, I played hookie today and took the afternoon off of work and went lawn mower shopping on the Capo.. And then some backroad to home, another 100 mile loop..
    It just reaffirmed my choice of bike.. I am really liking this bike...
    I hope you like yours too,...
  18. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    SHit if I had know I would get that I would have spent the extra 6 grand on the GS.. Hahaha... BMW does know how to treat the customer (to a point)...
  19. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :lol3

    Funny thing is, I had no idea I was going to get that stuff. It came in the mail about 2 months after I brought my GS home.

    As for Aprilia, I'd be happy with a keychain and a decent owners manual. :lol3

    -SM
  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :clap:clap:clap

    Congrats!

    I think you'll find what we all have, which is the Capo is motorcycling's best kept secret, and for the price they're being sold for, they're an absolute steal. Enjoy! :thumb

    -SM