Aprilia Caponord 2014

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Forseti, Feb 9, 2014.

  1. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Hey sock, did you do you initial oil change or let the stealer do it? They say
    'You can do it but we use that time to go over the bike" I am betting it is going to be a few hundred at the shop rate of 99 an hour.
  2. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I always have the dealer do the first service to check the bike over and make sure everything is as it should be. I usually have a few things I want them to do/check anyway, so it works out. Besides, my dealer has a great shop, and it's an awesome 200 mile round trip to/from, so I view it like a little holiday. :D :ricky

    -SM
  3. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    They are giving me a demo bike to ride home and back.. That should make it better....I just hate parting with the cash...
  4. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Italian garage

    [​IMG]
  5. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :thumb

    So....seems like there might be some overlap between the MV and the new Capo. Do you plan to keep both, or...... :ear

    -SM
  6. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Actually there isn't as much overlap as you'd think. The Capo is a fairly big/heavy bike. It'll get around the corners, but has fairly low center stand, exhaust and pegs. The TV is essentially a sport bike masquerading as a touring bike. Pegs are pretty high, I don't have a center stand on it, and it is over 100 lbs lighter than the Capo. The Capo is pretty relaxed, the MV is high strung. Different scratchers for my various itches :D
    bobw likes this.
  7. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Nice!!!
  8. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Sock, that gas gauge sucks,.,,,, how far do you get once the reserve light comes on and mine cam on at around 135 miles....
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    LOLz. :lol3:lol3:lol3

    That's another "thing" with the Capo/Rally, and one that drives new owners batshit crazy (you should read all the whinging and moaning about it on the AF1 board....yikes). The manual describes the behavior, but it's not intuitive, and it is NOT linear. That led early testers of the Capo to decree that it had shit fuel economy because of just what you saw, the low fuel light coming on after only 120-130 miles. What they didn't understand is Aprilia, in their infinite wisdom, made it that way and you actually have about 100 miles left in the tank at that point. Here's what the manual says:

    "The traveling corresponds to the last of the fuel indicator, it is approximately three times higher than the one of the other bars"

    If you read it to yourself out loud with a Disney character Italian accent, it actually makes sense....sort of. :lol3 Basically what they are saying is the last bar on the fuel gauge, which has 6 bars total, lasts 3x longer than the other bars. This works out to something like the first 5 bars each being 1/9 of the tank capacity, or approx .7 gallons/bar. The last bar is about 2.1 gallons. Reserve is also about 1 gallon. So.....when you are down to your last bar, you actually have about 3 gallons still in the tank, or about 120 miles once she's run in and getting 40+mpg.

    Easy, no? :imaposer

    FWIW, I've never gone by lights and bars. I gauge my "miles until I'm pushing" by how far I've traveled since my last fill up, and I reset my trip meter after every fuel stop. For me, this is a much more accurate indicator, especially given the "special" nature of the Capo fuel gauge logic...... :norton

    -SM
  10. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Ho Kay sous yous saying in eytaliano that the gaus gauge is fuuuuked...
  11. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I always reset and check mileage.. On my KTM I was finding my range when I found out the low fuel light did not work at 212 miles and 4 miles from the gas station . Haha glad it was only 4 miles from home...
  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Heh.....

    Well, not exactly. The fuel gauge actually works "as intended". It's just different from how every other fuel gauge works. It's a bit like what BMW did years ago on the GS. The first half of the gauge was one bar, the rest was divided into several bars. At first it freaked new owners out because they'd be riding along and suddenly their gauge would go from reading full to half full. BMW learned their lesson and now make a linear gauge, and on occasion, it even works. :lol3

    :hide

    -SM
  13. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Surprisingly the gauge on my GS worked really well. MY GS over all was an outstanding bike. I'd did develop a few small oil leaks that the dealer wanted 2 k to fix and then the exhaust valve snapped off... But other than that.
    I test rode a 2011 GSA 1200 a month or so ago it seems that it has about the power of the ape in rain mode..
  14. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    need to do a proper photo, but with the Fiat out of the garage, time to change pipes on the MV

    [​IMG]

    liking the new pair

    [​IMG]
  15. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    That doesn't suck
  16. Dograt

    Dograt Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2011
    Oddometer:
    52
    Location:
    Tucson
    Well I've had my Rally since August last year, and without a doubt this is the best motorcycle I've ever had! I had some initial problems with the engine that I believe was related to the water-thin break-in oil provided by the factory. This may be their idea of getting a fast break-in, but for me in Arizona was the wrong thing to do. The dealer fixed the problem on Aprilia's account and I have been happy with the results ever since. The fuel gauge thing is now kaputt and will be fixed on the next service of 12,000 miles. The good old EPA mandated use of alcohol in the fuel has apparently attacked the float inside the fuel gauge module. I have installed the center stand, heated grips ane the media module. The media module cost is pretty heavy, but the results and the ability to figure out the average fuel economy is worth the price for me. As an aside, if you multiply the km/liter by the factor of 2.35, you will get the miles/gallon rate. Have looked every where for a suitable top box as I'm unwilling to pay over $550 for the Givi setup. That cost in my mind is a real lesson in greed! Now off to Canada in September.
    bobw and Sock Monkey like this.
  17. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    The Capo does the Tour of California


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    sbn and bobw like this.
  18. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Glad to hear it! :clap :clap :clap

    I was really impressed with the Capo TP and love the Rally, so much so that I traded my Stelvio for it, which was another excellent bike.

    Wishing you many more miles of smiles. :thumb

    -SM
  19. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    859
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Crossed the 600 mile mark on the way to work yesterday. Going the shop tomorrow night for initial service.
    3rd tank of gas averaged 43 mpg... That is as good as my GS ever got. I have also gotten lots of compliments on how the bike looks..
  20. DMilan

    DMilan Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Oddometer:
    876
    Location:
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Leebo,

    Any further critique on the bike so far?

    I'm sure that you read my inquiries here and over at the AF! forum regarding engine clatter.
    How is your's in this regard so far?
    At idle only or noticeable when cruising?

    Anything else, good or not so good?

    I still haven't bought... poor salesman, he's really been patient and helpful.

    Hope you're enjoying it.

    d'milan