Aprilia Caponord 2014

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Forseti, Feb 9, 2014.

  1. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    I'm not Leebo (but I play him on TV), but I just passed 600 miles as well. Most of that was 2-up, mix of around town, freeway, and canyon/mountains. I've also commuted to work a few times, and it doesn't get much more boring than that (about 20 min of surface streets). It really is a fantastic bike - does pretty much everything I could want, and covers the areas that the Tiger was lacking for 2-up.

    If I had to nitpick in the search of a perfect bike (which doesn't exist):

    1. handle bar could be a tad narrower. That said, the wide bar makes turning at any speed pretty effortless
    2. clutch pull could be a tad easier. It isn't what I'd call stiff, but it isn't what I'd call one-finger

    I don't really notice any engine clatter, but it is a twin so it'll sound...like a twin. I do notice that when you crack the throttle hard it goes through a couple of different engine sounds, which I think is due at least in part to the exhaust valve.

    I've been running it in auto suspension mode and changed it from T to S map a few days ago. I don't find the S mode to be snatchy, and I prefer the quick response, but ymmv.

    Short story is there frankly isn't another bike out there that would do what we want it to do better than the Capo. It is a brilliant 2-up bike that will carve mountain roads with a high fun factor - even 2-up. No easy feat...
    Leebo likes this.
  2. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Folks on that board will complain if their bikes don't wash themselves ("WHAT!?!?! This POS doesn't have an auto-wash?!?!?"). :fpalm

    As nostatic said, these are big twins. The engine is going to make "big twin sounds". The engine temp, oil type, and oil amount will all change these sounds. Never once have I considered it a problem. :dunno

    If you want to hear a truly clattery motor, ride a dry clutch Ducati, or a 2 valve Guzzi. The latter makes a considerable racket, especially at idle, and it's AWESOME! It always reminded me of the big long-cycle steam engines from back in the day: chug chug PUH, chug chug PUH!!! :lol3

    If engine noise bothers you, perhaps a lovely 4-cylinder Honda would suit? I'm told at idle it can be hard to tell that it's even running...... :augie

    :hide

    -SM
    flylink, dedecaster and Leebo like this.
  3. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    DMilan, I love the bike and feel that I made the right choice picking this bike,
    The stutter I felt on the test ride has diminished significantly and the more I ride the more I like it.
    The howl is intoxicating and it is such a niche bike I get tons of questions and comments.. A buddy called her a "sexy beast" which she is.
    As for fuel economy it gets as good as my GS..
    Headed to the shop in the morning for 600 mile service.
  4. DMilan

    DMilan Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Oddometer:
    876
    Location:
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Sock, Leebo, Nostatic and all

    Yesterday, I put down a deposit on a new 2015 TP.
    I still have some misgivings about it, but the positive aspects of the bike combined with the heavily discounted price, convinced me to give it a whirl.

    Adding the heated grips, a low seat and a new screen....and a radiator guard
    I'll post up once I get her.

    d'milan
    dedecaster likes this.
  5. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    As I said on the af1 forum you will not regret it..
  6. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    What are the misgivings?

    Have to be careful with expectations - if you go in looking for problems you'll probably find them (whether they are there or not). Alternatively, sometimes it is easy to overlook issues if you really like something. It comes down to attitude.

    If you're looking for perfection, you'll be disappointed - by EVERY bike. Everything is a compromise, just depends on how you weight various factors.
    Sock Monkey likes this.
  7. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :stupid

    :lol3:lol3:lol3

    -SM
  8. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    ahh, you've been speaking with my ex-wives...
  9. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    My one night stand ...... Capo in for break in maintenance and they loaned me this ...
    I told my wife I have another Italian Girl friend.
    I thought it was a total blast to ride... image.jpeg
    Sock Monkey likes this.
  10. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    The Griso is a fun bike. :thumb

    I assume you're picking up the Capo today? It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how it runs with "real" oil in it vs the crappy break in oil. It should feel much smoother. :thumb

    Would also like to hear your thoughts on the Guzzi motor vs the Ape.

    -SM
  11. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    The Griso was a total blast to ride... The engin has a shit load of torque and throttle response is instant...brakes were awsome but then again they are brembos. The fact that I could flat foot a bike for the first time in 10 years was kind of nice too.
    The suspension was fine on good roads but on the road to my house I think my asshole rattled out...it really showed me how good the Capo suspension works.
    I had the Griso laid over for a few turns and thought how much fun this bike would be in North Carolina /Tennesee on the dragon and surrounding roads.
    The capo on the ride home felt like a couch.. A rocket powered couch.. Big comfy and fast.. Close to 900 miles on it since I picked it up and hope to do 250 miles or so tomorrow...
    The bike still has a hesitation in a certain a rpm/gear but it is so easy to shift around it I don't rally worry about it. Doing 85 mph on the interstate it is smooth as butter... Going through the gears in the curves it is smooth as butter... No complaints from me...
    Heading to the Dragon in 3 weeks. That will be 3300 miles in 7 days.... I am so pumped to have this bike under me for that trip.
    Sock Monkey likes this.
  12. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I was talking to the guys at the shop today about getting rid of the cat and putting a more appealing looking can on it... Do you guys have any thoughts?
  13. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I believe the cat is in the mid-pipe so you don't have to get rid of it to put a new pipe on.

    Having said that I'd hammer the cat out. I'm going to do that on my bike to remove the heat and keep the cat from baking my rear brake fluid. The reservoir is right by the cat and at 500*+ it can turn the fluid black in a hurry. Had the same thing happen on my Ducati.

    As for suggestions on a new can I can't help you. I have no intention on changing mine. Yes it's big but it's down low and the sound from it is pure bike porn which is unique for a stock can.

    -SM
  14. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I agree it sounds awsome for a stock can but I can't help but think what a termegoni or arrow would sound like and yeah I want the heat out of there from the cat... I could feel it today at stop lights.
  15. flylink

    flylink Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2014
    Oddometer:
    171
    Location:
    Central Valley, California
    Just passed 1400 miles with a wonderful haul back from the lovely metropolis of Oakland CA to Modesto CA, splitting lanes all the way:bluduh. (BTW, my Husky Terra is much more fun to split lanes with!:happay) Still had a great, if stressful time of it.
    Still absolutely in love with the Capo, what a great bike! Even some of my HD rider friends grudgingly admitted it was a sexy beast!:sweeti.
  16. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Yep, that's exactly when it creeps in, especially with a heat-soaked motor that's been running 80mph+ for a few hours. If there's no wind to carry the heat away, it will rise up from the cat, combine with the rear header and resonator, and get a bit uncomfy until you're moving again.

    My plan is to bang out the cat (there goes a 500*+ furnace) and ceramic coat both headers, the mid-pipe, and the resonator (was quoted about $200 total). Together that should pretty much eliminate any heat reaching me. While it's welcome when it's in the 30's*F, when it's 90*+, not so much.... :knary

    -SM
  17. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Also is there any decent tank bags for the bike. I am thinking a wolf man .. i do not want to drop the coin for the aprilia mod with the tank bra
  18. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    I've got the Wolfman Rainier but first time I looked around I couldn't quite figure out where I was going to mount the straps. I need to take a better look though. I also need to dig into the tail/brake light wiring to hook up my P3 lights.
  19. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Still trying to figure out how to get power up front for my GPS.
  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I thought I remember someone saying there was a plug along the headstock or under the tank for a TomTom Rider that could be repurposed..... :dunno

    I just ran a 2m USB cable from under the rear seat up to my bars where I have a Techmount for my iPhone. Easiest install I've ever done. :lol3

    -SM