Aprilia Caponord 2014

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Forseti, Feb 9, 2014.

  1. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    SOck, you came right off the USB port in the back for your phone? I had looked at that but it still leaves me with out juice to GPS.. The dealer installed a pig tail for a batter tender. I was thinking of moving a cord from that to feed a tank bag and then a put a small box in the tank bag that can be unplugged.
    I did that on my KTM and it worked great
  2. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Does that commotion give you any functionality or just charging?
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    On previous bikes, I was forced to use the 12v that runs the electricals on the bike. That meant tying my Garmin Zumo into the bike's electrical system, typically through a plug already made for that purpose (Guzzi, Ducati), or through a fuse box (Blue Seas) that I wired to the bike's battery (BMW....tying into the CANbus was a PITA). This resulted in a working system, but not an ideal one. I used my Zumo as my "hub" and paired my phone and helmet-mounted headset to it via Bluetooth. Again, this worked, but sometimes the Bluetooth would be cranky and not want to pair correctly, or my music wouldn't make the transit from phone -> Zumo -> headset. :(

    Enter the Aprilia with it's USB connection. For me, this is brilliant! I could simply run a USB -> iPhone cable from under the passenger seat to the bars, use a small mount (I really like the Techmount), and now I only have one device to deal with. It helps that the one device provides phone (2-3hrs on the road every day sort of required it), excellent GPS with traffic (Garmin's traffic reporting sucked), and music (live stream XM, Pandora, Slacker, etc). It's also voice activated/controlled for hands-free goodness (even though the Zumo is "glove friendly", I have pretty big hands so using it with gloves on was a lesson in frustration). If I'm going touring, I just put the phone in my LifeProof case which is totally waterproof and off I go. I could drive the bike into a lake and the phone would survive just fine. When I get to my destination, I just pop the pone out of the cradle and I'm done. No worries about the Zumo being in the cradle in a dodgy part of town, etc. :thumb

    So, there's a very long-winded answer to a very short question....sorry. :shog

    -SM

    P.S. If you decide to get the Aprilia AMP module, you'll need a visible Bluetooth phone to run the interface, so this is another reason why I went with the solution I have. While I don't have the AMP yet, I may get one in the future and it will literally be plug and play.

    P.S.S. The USB cable provides power, that's it, but then that's all I really need it for. :D
  4. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Ok, so I'm moving forward on installing the P3 lights. I was able to mount them to the license plate frame (easy), and snake the wires up the tunnel of the tail to the rear seat area (a bit trickier - my cable guy past helped). Now I just need to tap into the wires going to the tail/brake light and turn signals (though the turn signals are optional). I sliced the housing around the wires going there, but they don't match what Skene had on their site (which doesn't surprise me).

    There is red, blue, a bit lighter blue, and 3 yellows. Short of getting a VOM and going through 1 by 1 to ID, anyone happen to know the identities? If I can identify brake and tail I'll be close enough. For switched power I figure I'll tap into the USB harness.
  5. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Figured it out with the help of a wiring schematic from one of the guys on the AF1 forums (though the schematic wasn't exactly right). What a pita - no play in the harness so damn hard to work with. Gotta love posi-taps though. Now just have to get the dremel to slot the plate holder support a bit so the plate light section fits snug.
  6. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Glad you got it sorted. :thumb

    Care to share what you did so others trying to do the same can benefit from your work? :gerg

    -SM
  7. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Sure. I'll take some pictures shortly.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  8. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    Here's what it looks like. The lights mount cleanly though it is tight - removed the reflector assembly and bolted them on under the plate

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I routed the wires up through the tunnel to the plate light. First snaked some copper wire through, cut it, then taped the led wires to the end, and continue pulling it through from the other end. The one thing I still need to do is slot the plastic a bit better so the assembly fits flush again. My wife is getting her dremel tool from her studio (advantage to having an artist for a spouse)

    [​IMG]

    This was the real PITA part. You can see where the wires from the P3 module spliced in. I had to cut a zip tie to free the harness, then cut away the plastic sheath. Then I had to figure out which wire was which based on this wiring diagram and some guessing (http://nostatic.com/photos/capo_wiring.pdf)

    [​IMG]

    You can kind of see where the wires from the LED came from in the tunnel. I didn't really tidy things up too much - mostly just tried to make sure they were sitting as low as possible so the tray sat flat.

    [​IMG]
    Sock Monkey likes this.
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Looks good! :thumb

    Thanks for sharing the install. I know it's a PITA to do write-ups and take/post pics so I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

    If I ever decide to add one of these to the Rally, I know where to look! :clap

    -SM
  10. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
    I highly recommend these lights, especially in urban areas. They lightly flicker all the time which catches people eyes, and then when you brake they flash 4 times, then go solid. They also function as turn signals. Between that, reflective tape on the top box and rear hugger, and our hi-viz vests, it is hard for a motorist to miss the bike.

    The other thing I did was swap one of the H11 headlight bulbs with a Cyclops LED bulb. Now from the front you have the kinda yellowish original bulb on one side, the more bluish-white of the LED on the other. That difference should also help catch people's attention. Anything for visibility. Next step would be to wear LED xmas lights :D
    Sock Monkey likes this.
  11. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Static , what vendor did you order them from?
  12. nostatic

    nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,403
    Location:
    Lost Angeles
  13. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Trying to mount a top case.. Givi 46 liter top box at twisted throttle is just over 3 beans but there seems to be no mount they can find. AF1 lists a special order one but it is 259... I looked and I could fab one but it seems like it would have to much of the mass back past the center of the box and looks like it has the potential to pt a lot of stress on the stock rear hand grips... Any one look at this issue yet?
  14. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I used the Aprilia mount with my Givi 46 that I had on my Stelvio (figured I'd keep it since you don't get sh*t for stuff like that when you trade bikes in), but I don't remember it being that much. Maybe the price has gone up since this time last year? :dunno

    Anywho, it works well, but yeah, that's a bit expensive. :eekers

    EDIT: I looked up the part I purchased on the Aprilia USA web site and it lists for $199. Part number is 2S000288. AF1 is playing some games as they are showing a price of $236.31...... :bluduh

    -SM
  15. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Can you snap a photo of it with the bag on and off???
    flylink likes this.
  16. flylink

    flylink Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2014
    Oddometer:
    171
    Location:
    Central Valley, California
    13055419_10204552832860438_4599249517778761632_n.jpg 13339532_10204722025650152_7686466892166909513_n.jpg
    I got the Aprilia box & mount when I bought the bike, plus a GIVI TRK52 backrest pad.
    Fit was perfect! The top box is a little big for one up, but super easy to take off. Two up, my lady loves it! Plus fits both our full face helmets (w/o the bluetooth units)
  17. flylink

    flylink Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2014
    Oddometer:
    171
    Location:
    Central Valley, California
    A couple more pics! Apologies the background is not as glamorous as Half Dome! Unless you think laundry is glamorous!!!:lol3
    20160531_202616.jpg 20160531_202731.jpg 20160531_202709.jpg 20160531_202716.jpg
  18. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I figured out how to make my trax work with a few bucks of bolts and using the plate that I got from the PO of the KTM.
    flylink likes this.
  19. jwdub

    jwdub Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,251
    Location:
    SW Washington
    I'm posting here since the TP and the Rally running gear are the same. I'm having a rather annoying issue between about 4500 - 5200 rpm when I'm smoothly rolling the throttle on. The exhaust (muffler) valve just starts to open when the engine just goes flat. Once the rpm climbs above 5000 the engine starts to respond but it's not a smooth transition. Or you can just whack the throttle open and then it will bog/jump to acceleration mode. When I took the bike in for it's first service they updated the exhaust ecu to the latest version, but couldn't find any other issue. They acknowledged that the flat spot was there. However, their only advice was -- just run it in sport mode. Well, that's not the solution I wanted to hear. Anyone else whose had a similar engine response and/or has found a solution, I'd like to hear about it. I'm wondering if it's associated with the exhaust valve and what would happen if it was disabled. I've heard that some have added an aftermarket exhaust with a healtech unit to prevent ecu errors when the valve is removed but I don't recall anyone describing if this was done to improve engine response or just for more/different sound.
  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Find a different shop.

    If I remember right, all US Capo's, regardless of whether they are TP's or Rally's, have a different map and resonator to address this problem, which is common on the European machines. The '15 Capo TP I test rode and my Rally do not exhibit this behavior, so don't let anyone tell you "they all do that" either...... :nah

    -SM