Aprilia Caponord 2014

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Forseti, Feb 9, 2014.

  1. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I agree with Sock, mine had a bit of a fueling issue when new that seems to have worked itself out but I don't have any dead spots.
  2. jwdub

    jwdub Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,251
    Location:
    SW Washington
    Sock, Lebo - thanks for the feedback. The demo bike I rode before buying mine didn't have a flat spot either, as far as I can remember. My VIN is #13, so it's a very early production bike in the US. I'll see if the local dealer can do anything with the ECU map version and/or the exhaust valve. My only other option is to discuss it with the tech at Moto International in Seattle. As a future last resort Gabro in Italy has developed a reflash for the Capo TP and is working on mapping the Rally: http://www.gabroracingteam.it/ There are some posts about it recently on the AF1 2014-2016 Caponord forum.
    C185N9921X likes this.
  3. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    My VIN has more zero's than yours, so don't worry too much about it being an early example. :wink:

    Also, be wary of Gabro's reflash because as I said, the US Capo's all came stock with a resonator that the Euro bikes didn't have. They can buy them as a retrofit, but they didn't come stock (that may have changed by now, but last year they still only got resonator-less bikes). As a result, unless Gabro specifically states "this is for a bike with the resonator", I would highly recommend against it.

    Since my bike and others seem to run perfectly without modification, I still say your best bet is to get thee to a different/better shop and see if they can work out what's wrong, because something is most definitely wrong if you have a 800 rpm dead zone on your bike. :eekers

    -SM
  4. ratty123

    ratty123 n00b

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Oddometer:
    2
    Location:
    terrigal..australia
    Hi all..I have a 13 Capo and have done 32000km on it trouble free. I am an Ironbutt rider so it has done a few 1600km trips in 24 hours. I get 15km/liter and with my desert fox fuel bladder can get 400km in one hit. Have Hepco Crash Bars and Top Box. Radguards and two short and two long spots on the front .the 14 model is essentially the same as the 13. The original exhaust and the panniers are not used. I use one plus luggage setting all the time. This bike has never missed a beat. I love my mile eating Capo. I only got 4000km from my sportsmax rear tyre and am now trying AngelGt tyres. Jn
  5. jwdub

    jwdub Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,251
    Location:
    SW Washington
    Just to update my earlier comment on fueling problems. A ECU reset by the dealer has, at least temporarily, solved the issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is a permanent fix as the ECU relearns the fueling/throttle.
  6. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    like to

    would love to see a photo of that set up
  7. dadsafrantic

    dadsafrantic Chef?

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    111
    Location:
    Mare Island, CA.
    i have a 2015 #64 usa with 66,000 miles so far. pretty much trouble free.
    Dracer35 likes this.
  8. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Mare Island? I was stationed there from 80 to 84
  9. dadsafrantic

    dadsafrantic Chef?

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    111
    Location:
    Mare Island, CA.
    Definitely tons of stuff going on around the island. They build high end prefab homes in the periscope building blu homes. Film movies too. Several hundred homes were built in the 2005-2008 years as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I had 4 awesome years of my life there.. i rode a cb650, a DT250 and a Yamaha seca 750 all over that area.. love the ride to Lake Berryessa.. what a place to live.
  11. dadsafrantic

    dadsafrantic Chef?

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Oddometer:
    111
    Location:
    Mare Island, CA.
  12. Leebo

    Leebo Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Oddometer:
    851
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I wish i had done more riding out there away from vallejo but there is so many nice places you didn't need to.
  13. jwdub

    jwdub Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,251
    Location:
    SW Washington
    Another update now that I've added another 1500 miles or so since the ECU reset. It's starting to exhibit the same issues as before. Funny that it runs better with no adaptive information in the ECU and then gradually gets worse after the adaptive table gets built (some assumptions here that the ECU works similarly to my Husky TR650 with Italian electrics). I'm going to have the dealer do another reset.

    My bike is also a bit of an oil burner compared to other bikes -- 1qt in 3k miles.
  14. C185N9921X

    C185N9921X Adventurer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2017
    Oddometer:
    10
    jdub.
    Mine uses about the same. Took about 2 changes to stabilize (10,000 miles). I am using Fuchs Silkolene 15-50 and happy with that.
    Just changed the airfilter as I ride on dirt often. Not very dirty after 2 yrs and 14K. I like it.
    Changed front sprock to 16 and didnt lose any MPG. 45 avg. Better take off and slow riding with minimal clutching.
    Advice. Make sure your ECU isnt picking up spurious inputs from any accesories added. It might be corrupting it to the point it cannt retain the good engine MAP. Just a thought.
    Or maybe they could condemn the ECU and get you a new one. Good luck with that.$$$$
    Are you near Vancouver, WA?
  15. jwdub

    jwdub Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,251
    Location:
    SW Washington
    Not sure how I'd detect spurious inputs from accessories -- but I do have a connection to run air horns and PIAA and 12v sockets to the front of the bike. Might just disconnect the sockets temporarily to see if there's any effect.

    Yes, I'm NE of La Center. Is that your 180/185 in the avitar?
  16. C185N9921X

    C185N9921X Adventurer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2017
    Oddometer:
    10
    Yes on the 185.
    Camp with it often.
    Remember Warranty is 24 months from date of sale.
    Make them fix it.
    take care.
  17. bobw

    bobw Harden the phuck up

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Oddometer:
    2,137
    Location:
    God's country, Western North Carolina
    Where'd everyone go? Riding I hope! I'll cross post in the Rally thread, but I have a buddy looking at a new left over 16 or perhaps a 17. He knows the 1200 production is/will be finished, but any little things they may have sorted in the last ones or just different colors? Sage words pro/con? I loved my futura, but have no direct knowledge on the ape 1200 engine . He's had a bunch of stuff UJM, several Bee Ems, Ducs and has a new KTM 390 that is a hoot, but not big enough to go anywhere on. Anywhoo, thanks in advance!

    Cheers
  18. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Not sure if he's looking at the standard Capo or the Rally, but in either case, the ONLY gotcha I've found is the fuel level sensor. Here in the US with 10% ethanol pretty much everywhere, the sensor fitted on the bike from the factory will likely fail. The good news is there is a new design to replace it, which I've had fitted to my bike. So far so good.

    Beyond that, these bikes are a gem. Highly underrated, and since they've been discontinued, are the bargain of the biking world right now. I'd buy mine again, and this is the first bike I've owned in a very long while that I'd say that about.

    The only other thing I'd suggest to a new owner is to buy any accessories for it now, because the factory won't be producing any more, and the aftermarket won't be either.

    P.S. It's summer, and summer == riding season. We'll post more in October when the weather turns to shit, LOL.
    flylink, Paul124ac and bobw like this.
  19. flylink

    flylink Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2014
    Oddometer:
    171
    Location:
    Central Valley, California
    Yeah, what Sock said!
    And:
    Been a long time since I was this taken with a motorcycle! (OK, OK! I had Harley's for a long time, so there is that!)
    Coming off a LONG enforced non-riding period (sold the HD to try to save the marriage, that did not work, she took everything anyway) I test rode everything I could.
    BMW, great bikes, but not a lot of soul. Plus, like HD, everyone has one.
    Yamaha was in my sites, but again, just a bike, did not speak to me. Same with Honda & Kawasaki.
    KTM, apologies to the fans, but to me, not the most attractive of rides.
    Triumph was in the running, I like the looks, like how they ride, all the boxes checked.
    And then, I was heading south on 99, saw an ad for Elk Grove Power Sports, oh hey, they have Moto Guzzi, I should take a look! (74 Ambassador, 1 of the bikes I should have never sold, loved that bike!)
    I saw the Capo Rally and was instantly hooked! I actually waited about a month before I test rode to do some research, went back to test ride it, it was all over!

    IMHO, a motorcycle has to speak to me for long term ownership. Yes, I have sold a few of my fave's, that is just life. Traded in a 64 Buick for $400 because I needed transportation. Wish I still had that car! (I know, not a bike, but, we all have had things we wish we had not parted with)
    I digress!
    The Capo is an amazing machine for all the above listed attributes and then some.
    The scarcity of the machine which is a plus in my book may scare some off. I like having a machine that is not replicated 45 times at a gathering.
    The styling of which I think is gorgeous might not appeal to some.
    I will say if you are not a fan of the HP and speed of the Capo, you might want to stick to the Vespa! :D:D (yet another thing that I love about this bike!)

    I say your buddy needs to ride the bike, and if he is taken with it, BUY IT!!
    Yes, there are some factors that could be daunting. I knew when I pulled the trigger that parts might be an issue, and that the dealer network was scarce at best. I did not care! I love this bike! And, when the fiance is on the back, I grab a handfull of throttle in Sport mode, the front tire lifts off the ground and we hit 100 in 4th, she is laughing like a loon and I am too, I know I made the right decision!
    bobw and Sock Monkey like this.
  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Sounds like you made TWO right decisions: Right bike, and right girl. :beer
    MariusD, flylink and bobw like this.