Aprilia Futura?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Star-Bellied Sneetch, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    You know I would buy the Ural from you in 5 seconds if I could fit it in my garage. Why don't you come up here and help me fix my garage and I'll buy it???
  2. Star-Bellied Sneetch

Star-Bellied Sneetch Long timer

Oddometer:
    How am I supposed to help you widen the door? Chainsaw??
  3. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    Hey, you're the smart one, you figure it out. I'll need to remove the French doors, widen the "frame" that was built in, and then add garage doors. Barn style doors would be my preference.
  4. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was running a BMW store that also had the Aprilia line, and they were excellent bikes. I haven't had a chance to ride the Futura, which came out after I left that business, but I've spent a lot of time on the Mille and Falco. Frankly I wasn't expecting much in the way of reliability and fit/finish quality when we first picked up the line, based on my personal experience with Ducati's (which I've heard is much better now), but the Aprilia's were exceptionally solid bikes, well-made, and utterly reliable. When we sold an Aprilia we usually didn't see the bike again until the first service was due, except for guys dropping by to let us know how much they liked their bike. We never seemed to have much of a problem with parts availability, but rarely needed parts other than the usual service items. I know that Aprilia is now under Piaggio ownership, and I don't know if that has been positive or negative as far as reliability and support. Resale value wasn't great six years ago, and I'm not sure if it's any better now, but that just made for an excellent bargain on the used market. I'd say if you find a nice, clean used Aprilia that you like, go for it.
  5. Star-Bellied Sneetch

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and helpful advice. Uncharacteristically, I resisted buying the one that was for sale right by my house, but I think there is a Futura in my future. I'm going to sell a few of my bikes, then take my time looking for the perfect one; ash black, low miles, aftermarket pipes, barbacks. If I see that one for sale anywhere near me, and it's priced fairly, it'll be mine!
  6. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    great, just keep us posted
  7. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    yeah you'll get used to any riding position provided you are in shape... good luck with the Futura hunt...
  8. Star-Bellied Sneetch

Oddometer:
    I'll be looking throughout the winter!

By the way, sorry your chick lost, but look at how they've already destroyed Taylor Hicks.
  9. ironoxide

ironoxide newbe

Oddometer:
    There's a real nice Future for sale on the Futura forum. Note: It's not mine, but nice nevertheless!
  10. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
  11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
  12. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    Anybody still riding a Futura? Saw one locally and it's been on my "one-day" list for a long time... Thoughts from old-school Aprilia owners?
  13. pictish ratter

pictish ratter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've a mate who has had one for over 10yrs had his fair share of electrical problems an cost him a fair bit if he sold it he'd not get much as they're old bikes now with parts hard to find
  14. WeegieBored

WeegieBored Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bet your mate knows my mate. In fact I was out a run with another Futura years ago whose previous Futura was the one now owned by my mate. lol.

My mate has had some electrical problems too (keep the battery tip-top) and also has been unfortunate enough to drop it. Sourcing parts is a nightmare (uses AF-1 in Texas?) Never seen a corroded fork stanchion before!

Its basically a ST Mille and has the same associated problems. The red one is one of the best colours of paint I have ever seen. Absolutely pops in the sun.

upload_2021-4-15_11-5-5.jpeg
  15. pictish ratter

Oddometer:
    Guy wi the red futura wouldnt be called Alex ..by any chance?
    WeegieBored likes this.
  16. WeegieBored

Oddometer:
    'Tis indeed. Knows everybody that boy. Lol. Just bought a Road King but still got the Aprilia.
  17. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend had one f/s a couple of years ago and he let me ride it for a day. Lovely machine, great brakes and handling and nice engine. He also had a Tuono Factory V-twin that I got a chance to ride. The Futura was a little small for me (6'3" 200 lbs) but riding those two Apes convinced me, a die-hard 4-cylinder addict, that a V-twin was a viable choice, hence my SDGT. A thin dealer network would keep me from buying one, but they are very nice.
  18. pictish ratter

Oddometer:
    Ha..small world ..was out a run wi Alex on saturday down dumfries n galloway
  19. WeegieBored

Oddometer:
    mental innit. Cant get away with f-all!

Apologies for the de-rail future Futura-ists.
    pictish ratter likes this.
  20. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    aprilia futura.jpg

Owned this one for 4 years. Fast but had a lot of electrical issues - 'factory certified' dealer never COULD get it to charge properly, melted electrical connectors on me with regularity.

I felt the Ducati ST4 I owned was easier to ride fast, even if the RST was a little faster, but I gave up on it because I just couldn't trust it.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.