Aprilia Futura?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Star-Bellied Sneetch, Aug 28, 2006.

1. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I’ve owned my Aprilia Futura ‘02 for 4 years. I studied them on the AF1 www.apriliaforum.com and found a rare gunmetal matte in great shape for a great price.

This bike was a two owner bike by the Aprilia forum inmates who did nearly all the solved issues... rewired fuse block, wires to voltage regulator, wires to starter solenoid which solves insufficient small wiring bottlenecks. This basically makes the bike Honda dependable.

[​IMG]

The ground wire at the cylinder head needs to be cleaned and re-coated with DE contact cleaner due to corrosion from dissimilar metal hardware... which causes dead starts in cold temps.New plastic fuel petcocks were already replaced with metal.

Put the bar risers with bar end vibration absorbers and you can ride this bike on long range touring trips.

I have ridden up and down the west coast all along the coast highway. Look up my posts for ride reports.

I have 40k miles now... bought it with 15k miles. It will easily go 100k miles with the stealth Rotax 1000 motor.

[​IMG]

The only thing that would make me get rid of my Futura is an Aprilia 1200 Caponord Rally in silver bronze.
  2. andydj31

andydj31 In Techno we trust...

Oddometer:
    I've owned a Ash grey Futura from 2012 to 2014, sell for a Caponord 1200. Here in Tuscany...

[​IMG]

But in mid 2019 I've got a chance to buy another one in Red flame for only 1600€, only one owner and 45000 kms. So I'm in love with her....

SaurisFut.jpg

FutSlo.jpg

I have solved all its problems and it just needs to grind km!!
    Vrode, OJ-J, Volfy and 3 others like this.
  3. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Funny they haven't made a new version of that bike. Sport Tourer.

There is a Caponrod FS at a local dealer for $8 grand here.
  4. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Aprilia is a funny Italian company. Like many they are most likely government subsidized. They don’t pay a bunch of Corporate shareholders like in the US. And they have no real necessity to sell in volume.

Their purpose is to project design ahead of the market to promote Italian motorcycle superiority.

The Futura was one of the earliest production fuel injected bikes and it worked very smoothly.

The Caponord 1200 was ahead of the market and stunning for an adventure bike where many manufacturers simply can’t figure out an esthetic front fascia.
  5. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they're an absolute work of art....never seen one in the flesh.
  6. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    I would jump on a V4 Futura in an Italian heartbeat.
  7. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    It seems Aprilia is focused on their 660 power plant at the moment. Rumors are they’re coming out with an adventure bike which has been a so called holy grail search by the adventure riding market.

The RSV4 is an amazing powerplant and would make an incredible basis for a sport tourer.
    Sadly Piaggio, the parent company, is putting more focus and resources toward their Moto Guzzi products.

I found the Caponord 1200 to be the modern day Futura in theory but Aprilia abandoned the line before there was any momentum stateside.
    Volfy and dtysdalx2 like this.
  8. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    The latest Tuono V4 is showing some acknowledgement towards the sport touring realm, so that's encouraging. It wouldn't take much to turn a Tuono into a Futura V4. The single sided swing arm would be nice, but I could live without that. Basically, just an ST sized fairing, hopefully with some windscreen adjustability, and a beefier subframe for better luggage and pillion support. That's it.
    olie likes this.
  9. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett I know

Oddometer:
    Futura and Caponord V4 please.
    spanky likes this.
  10. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Needs repairs. I may sell her.
  12. Shaggie

Oddometer:

But you rate her right?

hope you’re well mate

S
    dave6253 likes this.
  13. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I demo'd one when they first came out and loved it. But Aprilia dropped the Futura and my local dealer dropped Aprilia so we never made any magic....sigh....
    dave6253 likes this.
  14. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    What a load of mindless BS. Aprilia is owned by Piaggio. Piaggio is a public company listed on the Milan Stock Exchange, thus they are as responsible to corporate shareholders just as any other public company anywhere in the world. Here is some homework reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio
    andydj31 likes this.
  15. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Properly fixed…

Italian “Corporation” and Government owned are very synonymous in case you’ve never dealt with such in Italians and International business. I lived and worked there for years and was exposed to their systems well. So I consider that enough homework. You?
  16. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    I'm a dual EU/Aus national, I have worked in the US as well as the EU and Aus. There is as much government subsidy of commercial operations in the US as there is in Europe, its just expressed differently to suit the political prejudices prevalent in the US . As we are talking about vehicle manufacture consider the Troubled Asset Relief Program that bailed out GM & Ford in the USA during the GFC - itself a result of the myopic political prejudices surrounding government regulation of the US banking sector - that cost American taxpayers over $USD10 billion, never to be recovered. https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670 . Piaggio on the other hand rode out the GFC without bankruptcy and without such government handouts. Piaggio is still the largest two wheel manufacturer in Europe by sales and turnover despite the growth of KTM so asserting "They don’t pay a bunch of Corporate shareholders like in the US. And they have no real necessity to sell in volume." is complete BS.
  17. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what touched off your nerve? Wish I could make you feel better and say Aprilia is not an Italian company with Italian business characteristics and a different business model then most International companies.

But I can’t… sorry.

Not sure why you want to drag a US automobile argument into a discussion about Aprilia? And it’s common knowledge US Corporations have much higher ratio of Corporate Execs to anywhere else except Japanese maybe.

I get it, your angry. Can’t help you there Cowboy.
  18. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    you’re
  19. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Annnnyyyywayyyyyyyy

back to Futura’s....
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  20. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Lookie here Cowboy…

(Lifted from the press article below)

“The Piaggio Group has enjoyed some sympathy lately from the stock market, and the angry demonstrations by workers at their factories in Italy have subsided. Moto-Guzzi, the one-time weak man of the Aprilia Group, is selling well and growing, all of which is good news. But Aprilia itself is essentially a dead brand walking, with virtually no marketing in America or western Europe, declining sales and a catalogue of original motorcycles that are in seven to ten years old.”

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/analysis-piaggio-killing-aprilia-micheal-uhlarik