Aprilia Pegaso Riders

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klpegaso, Nov 1, 2006.

1. '74Stratos

'74Stratos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BrownDog7,

Luckily, I am Andyrage's brother. A few years back he did a tip to tail refurb on my Peg. Follow this link and read the entire thread we wrote cataloging that build. It explains, sometimes in excruciating detail, what needs to be done to get a Peg to run as it should. The good news is it isn't expensive, just takes knowledge and patience, and, when you are finished, they run much better than any F650GS I've ridden on or with. By the way, in addition to a K&N filter and CBR600RR regulator recitifier my bike runs Mikuni "non-bleed" screw-in pilot jets, size 42.5 (Genuine Mikuni p/n N151.067 42.5. EBC also makes a comparable jet p/n 151-42.5)

So, make some popcorn, light a cigar, uncap a good beer and settle in for a good read. It was fun to do and I still enjoy the bike today!

Go here: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?230230-Blue-Peg-rebuild
    amyroukai and BrownDog7 like this.
  2. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I'll second that suggestion. I learned a lot about these bikes from that thread when I first bought my Pegaso. :thumbup
    '74Stratos likes this.
  3. BrownDog7

BrownDog7 infected

Oddometer:
    I'm not worthy....Very thorough restoration guys!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    '74Stratos likes this.
  4. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Few photos from the weekend down at the Cold Flame rally on the Pinch river in NSW [Aus]
    upload_2017-3-13_11-58-51.png
    On the way down @ Jindabyne [last fuel], bit of a load on the 'Ape'
    upload_2017-3-13_12-0-1.png
    Rob & Henning & Henning's old BMW
    upload_2017-3-13_12-1-7.png
    Some of the regular reprobates at a tall tales session
    Cheers
    Baza
  5. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Some more photos I found from Davo
    upload_2017-3-13_12-2-33.png
    upload_2017-3-13_12-2-50.png
    upload_2017-3-13_12-3-8.png
    Cheers
    Baza
  6. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    And finally Pegaso problems!!!!!!
    upload_2017-3-13_12-4-58.png
    Tail-light wiring that had to be sorted on road
    upload_2017-3-13_12-5-53.png
    Both the rear pannier mounts broke with the rough dirt roads
    How does everyone rate the comfort of the Pegaso seats on a long distance dirt ride 500kms+ ?
    Cheers
    Baza
  7. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Just posted some Hepco Becker luggage racks for sale in the flea market, in case anyone's needing them.
  8. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    A photo from a recent overnight motel-camping trip to Death Valley. Getting the old girl out for some exercise. :D

[​IMG]
    '74Stratos likes this.
  9. amyroukai

amyroukai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello people.

The cable to the speed counter broke, waiting for a new part. Had one made last year, broke after 10000km, it was half the price of the stock part but obviously not worth the money.

So while waiting for Greek Aprilia to deliver, was looking into carb rebuild kits. Or the lack of them, to be precise. Bike's fuel consumption is high, so I will look into the carbs soon, better to have the kit ready so there will be no more down time. There's a lot of kits for the BMW "cousin", which theoretically should fit? For example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TourMax-C...806090?hash=item1ea803478a:g:t4wAAOSwwE5WYRGw

Should I get two of those and source new needles and jets separately? Do you guys know of a kit "ready to fit"? Was looking into ebay UK because I have a friend there who will visit Greece soon, he can buy and get them here at the end of the month. I think there were some KTM models that used the BST33 carbs, so maybe they can be a source of parts as well?
  10. '74Stratos

'74Stratos Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Mines bound for New Zealand for me to use a couple of times a year when I travel over ....

068.JPG
  12. FlyingWheel

FlyingWheel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike!
    What happened? Ready yet ?

I want to ask you this question, i see you are using a motorcycle carrier. Do you know your car's tongue weight?

I have the same carrier but i'm afraid to use it like that. My car can haul 3000 lbs and i read that tongue weight is about 10 to 15 % of that. So bike and carrier together cannot be more than 300 Lbs or so...

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
  13. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:

Please see messages below. dont want to duplicate postings

Attached Files:

14. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:

Hey man, i know you and your bro are pretty bad ass Pegasorros so thought i d ask you

I just picked a 2000 Peg that s been sitting for years. Got carbs out, they seem clean, i also see some oil in air box and a bit of oil in left side carb.

Previous owner said he bought bike from dealership with about 13000 miles. Rode to Tail of the Dragon then to Florida. Did about 4 miles with it in total so it has 17K now.

I asked did you just park it or was there a problem? He said he was riding one day stopped for a drink suddenly it wont start and would only go with the choke on. That s how he drove it home.

gas tank was full when i emptied it. I suspect he thought it was out of gas and he filled it up.

Thoughts? comments? Hopes? Fears? Dreams?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

15. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    Pics of the carbs

Attached Files:

16. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    One side is clean, other side has some oil...

Attached Files:

17. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

Oh and i meant to ask you this. Cause i saw you mention it elsewhere ( here for example:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?309571-99-Peg-suddenly-shuts-down-Ideas )

There is a second vacuum operated petock in the Pegaso...!!!!! I hate vacuum fuel petcocks....

When i first saw it had a manual petcock, i was like yaaay! I must confess i was shocked...i know a thing or two about italian bikes, i owned a couple and i know they are notorious for making complicated things and designs...so a manual petcock felt totally out of place, couldnt believe it

When i got carbs out and saw the vacuum petock underneath, i realized that my gut feel was in the right place.... :p :p

Anyway, i d like to remove it can we talk about this? I doubt anything will happen, did it on other dual sports...

Thoughts?

How do i proceed? If you have it described in some other forum, just post the link here please

Thanks!

Attached Files:

18. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    Pegasorros, Pegasorras,

Here is the update: there was a lake inside the airbox ....see pics.

Attached Files:

19. Andysrage

Andysrage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh and i meant to ask you this. Cause i saw you mention it elsewhere ( here for example:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?309571-99-Peg-suddenly-shuts-down-Ideas )

There is a second vacuum operated petock in the Pegaso...!!!!! I hate vacuum fuel petcocks....

When i first saw it had a manual petcock, i was like yaaay! I must confess i was shocked...i know a thing or two about italian bikes, i owned a couple and i know they are notorious for making complicated things and designs...so a manual petcock felt totally out of place, couldnt believe it

When i got carbs out and saw the vacuum petock underneath, i realized that my gut feel was in the right place.... :p :p

Anyway, i d like to remove it can we talk about this? I doubt anything will happen, did it on other dual sports...

Thoughts?

How do i proceed? If you have it described in some other forum, just post the link here please

Thanks![/QUOTE]
    FlyingWheel,
    Congrats on picking up a Pegaso. Removing the vacuum fuel valve is a way of eliminating a potential failure point. Herre is a post on how I abandoned the port on the carbs "properly" to ensure no vacuum leaks. Rubber vacuum caps are prone to cracking with time (I've seen as little as a year) and cause all sorts of issues.
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...aust-Project&p=3387036&viewfull=1#post3387036
  20. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, the pipes look pretty cool ;)