Aprilia Pegaso Riders

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klpegaso, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Andysrage

Andysrage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While a very little bit of oil mist getting into the airbox is normal, not nearly the amount you have. The airbox has two drain hoses. One is a water drain always open from the "cup" in the middle of the air filter. The second is an oil drain that run from the low point beneath the carb inlets down to near the kickstand and should have a rubber plug for periodic draining.

Now back to your problem...there are two ways that large a quantity of oil can find itself into the airbox:
    1. The engine oil was grossly over filled. This is actually rather common since many people do not know how to properly check and change the oil level on this dry sump system. The bike must be run, preferably until fully up to temp, before checking the oil. Then unscrew the oil level dipstick, wipe it clean and check level without screwing dipstick in. Similarly with oil changes, BOTH engine and frame tank have been drained before adding 1.6L to frame oil tank. Then run the engine for a 2-3 minutes before adding the remaining 0.6L of oil. Getting the oil level wrong and the excess oil blows out of the engine oil breather into the airbox.
    2. Oil breather and feed hoses have been swapped (possible after an engine removal to do a head gasket). The engine has two oil breather hoses. A small breather hose should run between the valve cover to the frame oil tank. The second and primary breather should run from the front of the right crank case cover (just ahead of stator and below the "Aprilia" logo by the starter) to the left side of airbox connecting just ahead of the battery. This primary breather can be easily mistaken and swapped with the oil return hose (bottom left side of engine case to frame oil tank). Getting these hoses mixed up will result in the scavenge oil pump filling the airbox with oil and eventually starving the engine of oil (oil pressure light would illuminate first).
    Have you done an oil change yet? I always start off with a used bike by checking all the fluids because I do not trust anyone else's abilities in maintaining a bike!
    Skowinski likes this.
  2. Andysrage

Oddometer:
    Thanks! They might become available along with my Pegaso as I'll be putting it for sale soon.
  3. FlyingWheel

FlyingWheel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. that was a lot of oil. The hoses are correctly in place, not swapped. So they are in the correct spots. I saw people who would just cut the breather hose and have it point to the ground in the engine bash plate. I understand the idea behind that breather hose going back to air filter box, pollution yada yada...

The previous owner did not strike me as someone who would know how to do maintenance. I know about dry sump engines, I had a BMW F650 (Pegaso's sister project of BMW, Rotax Bombardier and Aprilia partnership) so I know the drill...

I checked all the fluids. I dumped the gas rinsed the tank with new gas and used a house vacuum to dry it up. The radiator is full. The little radiator fluid plastic container under the engine to the left seems empty...I wonder if it will refill once i get it running, but I ll add a bit of fluid to it to reach the minimum level.

I removed the old oil, and I'm putting new one.

I removed the secondary - vacuum- petcock, see pic.

I just want to give it a quick start to see how the engine turns, then I'll flush the radiator fluid and put a new one. Same for oil, I'm only using it to test-run and kind of rinse the inside, then I'll put new one.

Any suggestions for tires? and chain ?

thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Andysrage

Oddometer:
    I don't recommend it as there is no harm in leaving the oil breather connected if the bike is properly running. If the bike really needs it disconnected in order to run well, you have another issues that the oil breather is exacerbating.

The coolant overflow tank needs to have coolant in it so that the radiator, over the course of several heat/cool cycles, can purge expanding air pockets and suck coolant back with vacuum during contraction. If the expansion tank end of the overflow hose coming from the radiator cap does not sit that immersed in coolant, this process will not work and air pockets will always remain in the radiator (hello head gasket failure!). When cold, coolant in tank should be between the max and min lines.

Just make sure all three open carb ports (one on left, 2 on right) are capped off.

Tires are always a personal choice and mostly depends on how you plan to use the bike. For any significant dirt road use, I love the TKC80 as it is the gold standard with great off-road performance while maintaining a surprisingly good level of road manners. They do wear out like crazy. I put a new set on 5 weeks ago and the rear is now 1/3 worn with 1300 miles on it (about 500miles of it was dirt roads). I also hear good things about the new TKC70 for more 75/25 riding with its dual compound and excellent wet road traction.

For chains, my main suggestion is going with 112 links versus the standard 110 links. This 1/2" increase in wheelbase improved rear suspension action plus it provide more tire clearance to the left silencer's crossover pipe if running a more heavily knobbied tire like TKC80. The difference was noticeable between my brother's ex.Peg (110 link) and mine at 112. Also, get a DID 520VX2 X-ring chain. those x-ring chains have a very noticeable reduction in drag versus o-rings.
  5. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your response. I'm reading now... :)
  6. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:

Thanks!

I didn't plan on removing the breather hose I like it the way it is. I understand that oil in air filter box means possibly worn piston rings, but knowing the Rotax bloc, I would be really surprised if it shows such symptoms at 17 000 miles....

I'll top all fluids to appropriate levels and give it a run see how it is before I go on wilder tangents :)

The canister, I read on F650 forum, that a lot of people loose it accidentally ....did you also loose yours accidentally?
  7. Andysrage

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the fuel vapor charcoal canister? What vapor canister ;-)? make sure you plug both ports on the right side carb. You may have seen my permanent port plugging solution in the thread listed above after I found a cracked rubber vacuum cap after only 1 year.
  8. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    yeah...that thing is a pain...I have a European F650 in Africa stored there, it runs like a charm, never carb issues...compared to the one I had here and sold, I'm telling you day and night...
  9. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    rebuilt carbs, put them back, started it, it starts briefly and dies or it acts like it wants to start. I put a cloth with gas in airbox for it to smell as fumes. it makes it start at every time, it just doesn't last. I put a bit of gas in tank like half a gallon, wondering it it needs more for gravity to push gas down.

also wonder whether the gas hose I put may not be wide, enough, cause it's slightly narrower diameter to be able to fit a fuel filter. The fuel filter shows gas in it so I dont think gas is lacking but I dont know this specific bike so...
  10. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    Also, jets seem stock. I adjusted air screws 3.5 out. I saw you suggesting in other threads 4.5. Not sure but bike seem starving, going for higher nunber of turns out to get more air would only worsen the problem...thoughts?
  11. Andysrage

Oddometer:
    The idle mixture screw regulates fuel, not air, so more turns out (counter clockwise) adds more fuel. I should have suggested changing your pilot jets to 40.0 or 42.5 while you had the carbs out. Typical rule of thumb is if your idle mixture screw needs to be more than 2.5-3 turns out, you need a bigger pilot.
  12. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:

Thanks for the reply. One thing Peggy has going for it (over the F650) i can stick my hand under the carbs with one of those smart phone/small electronics screw driver set. I was able to go back one turn so 2.5 instead of 3.5 now. Without getting carbs out again, blessings from the Gods Of Pistons and Rods

Still no go. Finally i decided to remove the fuel filter and i blew into the fuel line with my mouth with my finger on start button (not sure why but something about this sounds dirty) that forced gas in and it started...put it back. It s runing great.

This morning got premium fuel and filled it more this time. I tried no go. So i remove the fuel filter, petcock is on reserve no fuel coming, i jiggle it on-off-res now fuel is coming. Bike runs great.

Two hours later, same problem, i started looking into the petcock suddenly bunch of stuff came out, like dirt or tree stuff or whatever, once that's gone fuel goes perfectly down.

For the record, i cleaned tank thoroughly. Put a wire through the breathing lines of the gas tank (ones running from gas cap down - and connect to canister i think.) anyway two of them. I used a wire (that came with my car hitch. Wire allows you to make nuts go tru the frame to attach hitch receiver) cleaned them thoroughly and run some wd40 tru them until they started dripping clean. I blew air into them with my mouth from both ends it goes through. they are clean.

Rode for 20 minutes, goes flawsly. Amazing engine. I remember test driving another Peg in the past that i wanted to buy wasnt like this one. Even though the other one looked newer.

Anyway. I'm happy :) big smile on my face one the way home.

I followed your instructions and what s in the manual about oil. So far i put 2.2 Liter, it still showing barely the tip of minimum. I dont want to add more until i do some more research.

I'm guessing this is what previous owner did when he overilled it with oil. He kept adding.

As per the book, I put 1.6 liter run it for a few minutes. i add 0.5. Wait till next day. I rode for 17 minutes. Came to check oil (dip without screwing it ) it s about tip of minimum I add 0.1 still about the same.

As per the book, rode 15 minutes, let it cool down 10 minutes, and then run it for at least 1 mn ( i did 2 ) bike leveled with both wheels on the ground check oil. I checked still minimum.

Did i miss something? I can see oil inside the frame - to me that s good - but how high there it needs to be i don't know. If i see the correct level once i ll remember it.

I remember having doubts like this with the F650 in Africa. I just kept a quart of oil on me.
  13. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    On a different note, Pegaso reminds me a lot of the Gilera NordWest. Similar engine feelings, frame behavior...
  14. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    an army of Pegasos ....more than your heart can handle...

Attached Files:

15. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:
    in case someone is wondering if body parts especially the gas tank are intercheangable between the Pegaso and the Funduro BMW F650, they are not.

I know many Funduro and Pegaso owners ask these questions. Both bikes have the same Rotax engine - Project E169, a partnership between BMW, Aprilia and Bombardier-Rotax. The Pegaso engine has 5 valves and 1 spark plug. Funduro has 4 valves and 2 plugs. So I think the engine top end is not interchangeable.

As far as body parts, I tested the gas tank from Funduro on the Pegaso, the frame is wide enough to go inside the tank and allow it to sit...

Even from a plain eye view, the Pegaso plastic fairings are slightly bigger/longer. The Funduro is a more compact bike overall.

The stock tank on the Pegaso contains 22 liters of gas (5.8 gallon). Funduro tank about 17 or 18 liters so about a gallon less.

Anyway dropping this stuff out there in case someone is googling it

Attached Files:

tommymerle likes this.
  16. Rokoneer

Rokoneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing like asking a question from a post from 2012...

Did you mount Pivot Pegs footpegs? I'm looking for something a bit more substantial than the stock pegs, notice Touratech has $ome for the F650 but the price seems outrageous.....
  17. amyroukai

amyroukai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chain broke on Saturday... Not a happy moment, thankfully didn't lead to a crash and didn't do much damage to the bike. Scratched the paint on the rear fork, stripped the inside chain upper protection screw base, scratched the sprocket carrier, stripped the sprocket bolt heads and broke the chain slider.

When it was brought home I took a sanding wheel to cut the sprocket bolt heads off so I can remove the rear sprocket, took rear wheel off, took the rear fork out, it's a nice chance to clean up, install new slider, change bearings of the linkage etc. However, all the old photos in this thread seem to have vanished. STisma and Andysrage was it? They had nice details of their repairs and they're gone. It's a pity.
  18. wilddog

wilddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold my Pegasso years ago, but thought I would chip in. I had my bike dump a lot of oil from the airbox once. It turned out that the top cam cover breather hose ran next to the frame under the tank and got pinched closed. This caused the oil to evacuate via the bottom pressure valve in the engine.
  19. '74Stratos

'74Stratos Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. FlyingWheel

Oddometer:

Hi Andy,

Pegaso wont start. All lights on, dash etc. When i push start button --> nothing!

Feels like kickstand kill switch or something of the like, had this happen to you before?

Thanks!