Aprilia Pegaso Riders

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klpegaso, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Geschift

Geschift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never gone over 272 km’s.
    And never filles up more than 15,5 liters.
    Light turns on after 14 liters
    Don’t know the exact maximum amount of fuel.
  2. ildivvy

ildivvy GSX750 fan forever!

Oddometer:
    Thank you friends! When I refill the tank again,I will write here, how many fuel it need to the neck!
    amyroukai likes this.
  3. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    I'm pulling the carbs on a 2000 Pegaso, U.S. model. The manual I have doesn't show the exact same carb set-up--it shows a single cable, while I have a push/pull--and it doesn't show the idle adjuster at all.

The adjuster knob fits in a slot on a tab on the left side of the subframe, and it needs to come out of the slot to get the carbs out. A gentle nudge didn't do it, and I'm reluctant to force it for fear of breaking something that I have to personally fly to Italy to replace. I'd be grateful for tips on the right way to get the adjuster free.

IMG_20190622_093652.jpg
  4. gstt500

gstt500 Retired semi carpenter Supporter

Oddometer:
    D4AC7352-FD26-475A-9212-F24E990D9B0C.jpeg
    Mine comes out fairly easily with a gentle pull.
    There’s a nylon grommet that keeps it in the hole and you should see the slot to get the cable out

Attached Files:

5. JBSmith

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I tried pulling straight out, but mine seems pretty firmly stuck. Could be the bracket was bent by the guy who last worked on the bike. Pliers and a few colorful words might solve the problem.
  6. gstt500

Oddometer:
    You might try prying the slot open slightly with a flat blade screwdriver.
  7. JBSmith

Oddometer:
    I'll try that, too, thanks.

Given how much work it is to get the carbs out of this thing I better find some crap in there causing the problem or I'll be pissed off. :bluduh
    amyroukai likes this.
  8. gstt500

Oddometer:
    Are you pulling the carbs for a cleaning or some kind of issue?
    I’ve thought about going through mine, bike starts and runs great, plugs the right color but I’m lucky if I get 35 mpg.
    I’ve heard some say that’s about right and others say it should be way better.
  9. gstt500

Oddometer:
    My Caponord 1000 got 45 regularity.
  10. JBSmith

Oddometer:
    The bike belongs to a friend. It sat dormant for several years in a garage in a house near the coast. I'm getting it running in return for its use during my current bikeless state.

It starts right up and idles on half choke but dies if you touch the throttle or modify the choke setting. Gas dryer made no difference; fresh gas made no difference. It has good spark, the tank vent is clear, the air filter is clean. My next guess is some of the old gas turned to goo and is clogging the carbs, so out they come.
  11. gstt500

Oddometer:
    I’d say you’re on the right track, probably plugged pilot jets.
    Just cleaned the carb on a John Deere mower that sat for a couple years and looked like it was full of lutefisk.
  12. JBSmith

Oddometer:
    Well, I got this far. Sure are a lot of mystery hoses going to and from the carbs; I hope the manual explains what they all do. The thick bundles of wires for the owner's farkels made the job more difficult. I wonder if he'd care if I ripped them all out....

Note the idle adjuster knob, and the narrow spot between the two flanges; that's where the tab fits. I had to bend the tab a bit and push the knob out sideways. I'll give some thought to a more elegant mounting spot.

IMG_20190622_140609.jpg IMG_20190622_140848.jpg
  13. ildivvy

ildivvy GSX750 fan forever!

Oddometer:
    In Sunday I filled 14,5l in the tank. This fuel + 4,95l = 19,95l,but I made also 35km from this 4,95l. This meen 19,95l-1,5l= 18.5l or below 19l max to the empty tank! This also meen,that there is almost 2l in the tank,when I stop for fuel.

P.P. The last 440km I rode spended 4,44l/100km,which is a little bit more than usual for my usual ride.
  14. JBSmith

Oddometer:
    Looking for a complete choke cable assembly, from the handlebar all the way down to the little brass piston that slides in and out of the carb, for a US-model 2000 Pegaso. Anyone sitting on a spare?
  15. gstt500

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of adjusting the valves on my 2000 Pegaso and it’s looking like shims may be hard to find.
    Both of my intake valves are tight, .002 & .003. I’ve done some searches and finding different answers as to whether there’s any other engines that use the same shims, anyone know?
    Also wondering if anyone’s ever heard of having a machine shop mill a shim down?
  16. gstt500

Oddometer:
    Or if anyone might have any shims lying around they’d swap. Don’t know yet the thickness of my shims, for some reason there’s no visible numbers on the backs. I’m going to pick up a decent micrometer today and measure them.
  17. Slabonator

Slabonator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone! Just picked up a 2000 Pegaso 650 Cube from a neighbor for $500. Has 12k on the clock, runs, just needs the carbs put back in, an oil change and fresh gas. Very interesting bike! Have a question about luggage racks and such. See photo below: (Not my bike!!) Looking for that rear bikini fender, the side pannier mounts, and the upper crash guards. Basically trying to copy this dude.
    35711798363_00a38fb2e5_b.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
  18. RuffStuff

RuffStuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    id guess that rear fender is off something like a gs looking at it. easy enough to do.
    why are the electrics so crap. its blown the ignition wires that many times ive just got it hotwired now (for months), its been parked a week and now the light switch doesnt turn off.
    left it running to give it a wash, thats how much i trust it :lol2
    scrubs up well though:thumbup

Attached Files:

19. amyroukai

amyroukai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine hasn't given me any serious trouble. Once refused to start after a wash, let it dry properly and fired up fine, can't get the reserve light to work, even with a new sensor. When I jump the wires it lights up all right. But that's about it all, I expected not to like it much but it's been hard to find faults, especially at the price.
  20. Geschift

Geschift Been here awhile

Oddometer: