1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Aprilia Pegaso Riders

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klpegaso, Nov 1, 2006.

1. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    I'm nearing what I thought was the final stage of getting a 2000 Pegaso back on the road.The bike had been sitting for a long time and the petcock was so hard to turn I had to use pliers. I got a NOS petcock today, and I can't turn this one at all, even with pliers. I filled it with silicone spray and let it sit for a while--no good. So I pulled it apart and this is what I see. With the knob, faceplate, and wave washer off, I can see the valve, but I can't get it out. It's not held in with a circlip or anything else I can see. Ordinarily I'd expect it to slide out of the petcock body. Suggestions, please, for freeing it up.

IMG_20200116_195102.jpg
  2. ildivvy

ildivvy GSX750 fan forever!

Oddometer:
    Hi again friends! I have one quick question to you. How many degrees Celsium temperature keep your Pegaso's? My Pegaso keep allmost ever around 65'C (betwin marks for 60'C and 70'C degrees at temeprature gayge)! When it work on side stand or center stand, it goes to 80-90'C after some time, but almost right after bike goes again, temperature drops again to 65'C and stay there if I ride with 20km/h or above. Is this normal, or my thermostat is little bit open?
  3. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    they are the same temperatures as mine in this summer in Italy. all normal I would say
  4. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    a few days ago he made his first 25 years of age and 170000 km traveled. Best wishes Peggy IMG_20200719_164757.jpg
    Geto-Dac and amyroukai like this.
  5. Timboi

Timboi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone! I'm currently riding an 850 YAMAHA but something else caught my eye. I am considering to buy a 2004 Pegaso with 47000km or about 29000 miles on it which is for sale nearby, but I would like to hear about some user experiences from you guys. What are some long term quirks or faults that we are looking at? Valve adjustment has been done recently and it was always dealership maintained. Still, there must be some advice that you can give me before diving in. Hoping this thread is still kicking!
    [​IMG]
  6. Geschift

Geschift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hé there fellow Dutchy!

Obviously we all love the Pegaso over here in this thread.
    Mine is a 2004 model, and after 5,5 years I still can’t think of a more suitable bike to go out on any adventure.

It’s brilliant ON road and does very nice OFF road, so let’s say it’s a “wherever you wanna go” bike.

But I’ll try to think of some minors ...

Windprotection is an issue on a lotta bikes, this one is no exception.
    I personally now use one of those spoilers that you can mount on top of your screen.
    I use the MRA X-creen.
    Works for me!

Speed, it’s not a real highway bike to my opinion.
    I rarely pass 60 miles per hour, though I once tried it’s topspeed and reached 90.
    So there’s a noticible difference to your 850.

Fuel consumption.
    Over the last 16.232 km’s it’s used about 856 liters, which means 1:18,9
    But I find it kinda hard to predict it’s use, let me explain.
    When cruising the highway it might get 300km’s easy, but same conditions might result in 250 aswell.
    The same goes for nice 30 mph roads, doing some slow offroad driving, or pushing the limits with you buddies: you never quite know how thirsty it’s gonna be this time.

Seat hight.
    I’m 1.85 long (meters) and do not see the hight issue as some people might mention.
    Besides, the hight of a seat (aswell as it’s cover) can be adjusted at specialized shops for just €50 to €100.

Well, that somes it up a bit.
    Hope you’ll like the testrun ... keep us (me) updated.

Ralph (Alkmaar area, not to far from Delft haha!)
  7. Timboi

Timboi n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your thoughts Ralph! You pushed me over the edge to at least try one out.
    The reason for looking into this bike is that on our (me and some friends) adventures, we usually stick to paved roads but we'd like to actually 'adventure' a bit more. One has a 1994 Honda Transalp, one has a Royal Enfield Himalayan. Both can take a trail just fine but my bike is not built for dirt or gravel. I have seen plenty of videos of Pegasos hitting these trails, so that got my attention.

Now, I just got off the '04 Pegaso. It was a pleasant ride with a little getting used to the new ergonomics and

What I liked:
    • Low weight
    • Easy throttle
    • Buttery smooth gear selection
    • Stability at highway speeds (no less than my own)
    • Wind protection (no less than my own)
    • Stock mirrors
    • Midrange torque!
    • Spoked wheels and the 19" front
    • Braking power for a single disc, although it was bitey
    What I didn't like:
    • High RPM at highway speeds (smaller rear sprocket may fix it)
    • Soft rear suspension
    • Vibrations and rattles (could also have been the empty top box or keychain, no time to check). Could you elaborate on that?
    • Stock exhaust note, just so very very suppressed but that's also easily upgraded
    All in all, a lovely experience. I could see myself owning this one and making a few modifications to incease comfort and off-roadiness. Crash bars, luggage strap mounts, beefier bash plate, better tires, higher windscreen.

I'm almost over the edge, but I have this gut feeling that I might miss the comfort and growl of a parallel 270 degree twin.
    What's the average service cost compared to a mainstream Japanese bike? Is it true that parts for these Pegasos are somewhat rare?

Please convince me, I liked the testride :-)
  8. Geschift

Geschift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t wanna be the one pushing you over the edge for so to say, I’s prefer the bike to it.
    I’ll give my bike a try in convincing you by sharing some of my Pinterest pics https://pin.it/jbOwLyq

Boy oh boy, I’d love to be in the company of a Himalayan & ‘94 Transalp.
    The Hima is number one on my bucket list, and the Transalp is close to it.

The minors you mentioned ...

I’m no fan of loud pipes, the less noise the better.
    But that a personal choise.
    Keep in mind that you’re usually not allowed on the “better” upaved roads, and making more noise wouldn’t benifit the possible fun ahead.
    But an exhaust should indeed be easily changeable I quess.

The ratteling could really be anything, that comes with riding a single cilinder.

The suspension.
    I’ve been thinking about replacing that for a while now.
    It is quite soft when it comes to a passenger or even luggage.
    Never really found it necessary to adjust, but getting closer every time.

Modificatians ... I personally have done quite a few.
    But what I would recommend by your story would be:

- voorvork hoezen
    - hoekventielen ipv de standaard
    - valbeugels
    - Heidenau banden
    - middenbok
    - doubletronic verlichting (mooier)
    - carterbescherming van bv een F650 (is van staal)
    - een betere accu, ikzelf heb de Exide AGM ready 12-14 (kan je een foto toesturen)

Hope this information is of any help to you.
    And who knows, you might find yourself in situations like this;
    IMG_8660.JPG

PB me if more information is required.
    Enjoy the Pinterest album, and choose wisely....
  9. ildivvy

ildivvy GSX750 fan forever!

Oddometer:
    I ride my Pegaso only on paved road to this moment. My average consumption is 4,1l/100km for over then 11000km. With top box on it on some touring ride there is a little bit more consumption, if I ride it in mountain with no so hurry, consumption easily drop to 3,7l/100km, when I ride it with a pillion it's made no diference. I keep my speed below 110km/h (below 4500rpm) becose of vibrations of this big single cylinder and up from 2500prm (I think that's best range for me from this engine). Rear spring can be ajusted with it's mutters (has thread on it). I changed some connectors (from/to R/R) and painted plastic details around instruments and cooler (vary crap OEM). If you can afford it, keep both bikes! They have diferent characteristics for diferent type of riding! For long therm issues can be told about sraq clutch on starter. I had no such issue to this moment, but I have friends with it. Don't buy chinese spraq clutch kits! You can read more about this engines (Rotax 652) on F650GS Dakar-thread. They are the same with minor diferences.