Aprilia Scarabeo 50 followed me home

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by farmer_fred, Sep 14, 2019.

1. farmer_fred

farmer_fred mostly paved

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you just can't say no. It's faded from a prior life in Austin, but it's all there and has just been sitting. Title, brand new tires, spark, and the electric starter even works. Doesn't look like anyone ever messed with anything.

I got chassis and engine manuals from AF1 Racing.

Fuel system will need rebuilding and then we'll see how she runs.

[​IMG]
  2. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    It's so cute! Can we keep her? :D
    Chillis likes this.
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Those are the best! 2 stroke carburated. The Ditech that came out later on wasn't as good. You have to put a 70 cc kit on it and it will fly! Have fun!
    Chillis and Dan V. like this.
  4. greg531

greg531 greg531

Oddometer:
    Use some 3M Marine Restorer and Wax on the faded plastics.......I's great stuff....
    Chillis likes this.
  5. farmer_fred

farmer_fred mostly paved

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I hope to tear into it this weekend.
    Chillis likes this.
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you post your resurrection as she's a beauty! Congrats!

Eric
    Chillis likes this.
  7. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I commute to work on a Scarabeo 50, same color, every day. Great machines.
  8. farmer_fred

farmer_fred mostly paved

Oddometer:
    I was so relieved to confirm that this bike was carbureted and air-cooled. The manual I have for the Minirelli powerplant mostly showed water-cooled diagrams.

I tore into the Scarabeo on my day off, and cleaned the shed-mung off it. It made spark even with the dead 10-yo battery, and the electric start worked when I connected a good battery. Before I pulled the carb off, I squirted some premix in the carb and spun it over with the button. She fired up immediately. I have a 150cc Vespa that's two-stroke, but there's nothing that sounds like a fiddy.

I flushed the front brake fluid and changed the trans lube. Neither were too dirty for having sat so long.

Lots of plastic exterior parts but they come off relatively easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front brake and the wheels are Grimeca.

[​IMG]

Cute little motor/trans unit.

[​IMG]

The Pirellis are new, with manufacture dates in 2010, but they don't feel hard or dry. UW Madison parking stickers from 2007-2008.

The carb was a cute little round-slide Dellorto. The rubber bits were Bakelite, but nothing was worn or corroded. The float needle was a little glued-in, and the intake boot was ripped and repaired with black electrical tape.

Carb is soaking in a can of prehistoric carb cleaner and I made a small order with AF1 for a carb kit, intake boot, headlight bulb which fell apart, and a vacuum fuel valve. Should be able to reassemble when that stuff arrives and take a ride.
    Tromper, sro99 and The Virginian like this.
  9. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a nice looking little bike. That pic from the front reminds me of my People 50.
    You're right, nothing else sounds like that little 2-stroke. Hope everything works well once you get your parts in.
    There was a Scarabeo 50 for sale around here a while back but it looked like it had been sitting outside in a junk yard for 10 years. Parts were missing. Parts were broken and he still wanted somewhere between $400 and $500 for it. Needless to say, I didn't waste my time. It's not made out of gold.
    The Virginian likes this.
  10. JPopee

JPopee Scooter Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
  11. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I live up a very steep hill and a 50 just won't do getting up the hill without getting in the way of traffic and just being a test of patience. Up about 400 feet in .5 mile. I've tried and it was no fun. Too bad, because I'd like to mess around with a 50.

Here's a link to a video my neighbor made, going down.

12. farmer_fred

farmer_fred mostly paved

Oddometer:
    I sent the seller a note. That one has a rear disk brake, so it’s probably a newer model, maybe the Ditech version. The transmission case looks different too.

Edit Oct 11: No response.. shocking I know from a Craigslist ad...
    JPopee likes this.
  13. farmer_fred

farmer_fred mostly paved

Oddometer:
    Up and running! A new battery and a carb rebuild and she started right up, on the button or an easy kick. Wierdly, the tag that came with the Scarabeo is for a "Medium Speed Vehicle", with the tag prefix of MSV.

[​IMG]

It's the perfect beer-getter for me to use in my neighborhood.
    The Virginian and cabanza like this.
  14. Dark

Dark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your neighborhood must not have many beer drinkers, I would need a truck as a beer-getter for the neighborhood
    Looks good, have fun with it
  15. farmer_fred

farmer_fred mostly paved

Oddometer:
    Edited to clarify! :drink
  16. fried okra

fried okra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one of the DiTech 50's many years ago. Bought it with about 12,000 miles on it. It ran great so I ran it for a while and then moved on to bigger Aprilia scoots.

Have two Scarabeo 150's and three Beo 500ie's now......love those Scarabeo's!

fried okra
    The Virginian and farmer_fred like this.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also a big fan of the Beos but never got to ride one of those. Always thought they would be fun. Great looking little scoot. Looking forward to hearing more about it. I had an SR50 for awhile and that was a hoot to ride. Enjoy and post up a vid of it going if you can.
  18. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Beo's have always interested me. Don't hate me, but they are mostly ..... not as cute as other scoots....The reported speeds are always the fastest compared to the displacement that I have seen. This one looks like a fun little bike... Keep us updated.
  19. farmer_fred

farmer_fred mostly paved

Oddometer:
    The 16" wheels really make it ride nice. I am not used to my feet having nothing to do, as my old Vespa has a foot rear brake. The suspension is definitely up to carrying around a full-sized adult and you can lean it over in turns without dragging anything.

I have a slight drip of two-stroke oil out of the airbox/filter after riding it for a while. I have some airbox parts and a new filter element coming so I'll see what's going on when I open it up again.
    The Virginian likes this.
  20. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're well on your way to making this one a daily rider.