Aprilia Sport City 250 review

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jun 7, 2011.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A poor fitting glove box panel is common on the sport city. Mine never fit right. With any used bike I'd want to do a test ride before making an offer.

I don't think we ever got the Sport City 300 here. I'm not sure what it's worth but if it runs well I'd start with a low ball offer of around $1500. If he doesn't go for it you could always come up.
  2. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I piced one up this winter with 1300 miles in perfect condition for $1900 , I would totally buy one again. Its a great all around scooter but it doesnt really do over 80 if there are any hills Im noticing. getting 68mpg currently and Im always flooring it. The suspension is rather harsh I feel or maybe its just our roads, but Id love it more if it were a little plusher.

3. WheelsnKeels

WheelsnKeels Bikes n Boats

Oddometer:
    I think klaviator is spot-on, and for only $1500 you could probably ride it a grand or two miles and still sell it for what you paid or perhaps more with the right buyer/market.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I've been procrastinating but finally got off my butt this morning and did the 25K service on my Sport City. I changed the belt, rollers, sliding blocks, spark plug and air filter. I also checked/ adjusted the valves. I did an oil change last month.

I did all this at 11,500 miles last time and had 24673 on it this time so it's been over 13,000 miles since last time. The belt, roller and sliding blocks all looked good and I'm guessing could have gone another 5000 miles or more. The plug needed to be replaced. One intake valve had tightened up slightly. The rest were in spec.

It was a lot easier this time than the last time. I knew what I was doing this time. I had all the tools needed and I now have a lift.

[​IMG]

As you can see, access to the valves is pretty easy.

[​IMG]
  5. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klav, I bought some Dr Pully sliders for my sportcity to try after reading about them on the aprilia forum, since youve changed yours a few times it seams do you ever try different wieghts? It accelerates lke my old burgman 400 did now, but I thought I would try some sliders to see if I can see any improvement and or a rpm drop on the freeway. Thanks Klav for your maintence pics, always helpful and its your fault I ended up with this Aprilia:evil after reading all your reports on it, thank you.

6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    This is only the second time I have changed the belt & rollers. I have just used the stock stuff. I thought about going with sliders but haven't done it. It runs pretty good the way it is and if I want to go faster I have two motorcycles for that.
  7. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    The price difference when new here was not worth mentioning, and after a
    year or so they dropped to the 250cc range price and it stayed there.

It's very hard to sell one of these here since it costs just a tiny bit less then
    the BV300 and most people would rather have that so the dealerships are
    full of 2-4 year old bikes that never sold.
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our Houston dealership sells out of NOS Sports City 250s as soon as he gets his hands on them. Lovely scooter and quite popular in our area.
  9. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, everyone here loves them too, but many people don't even try it since BV300 is just a few hundred $ more.

When it comes time to sell, the BV is worth a lot more, and that's rather
    important here too.
  10. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I don't think we got the BV 300 either or if we did I've never seen or heard of one. BV 350 is what folks want here. I see far more Sports City 250s around town than BV 250s.
  11. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    We did actually, but it seems like it was only for one or two years as they transitioned to the BV350 immediately after. You find them on Craigslist/SearchTempest occasionally, but they are very uncommon. Don't believe they looked any different from the bv250 much the same as Vespa when they went from 250 to 300...

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4922716079.html

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcd/4960779818.html
  12. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Well then let me rephrase that, the only BVs I've ever seen for sale in Houston dealer or otherwise were 250, 500 and now 350. I never saw a 300 in this part of the country. I do see quite a few Sports Cities. They appeal to people who want sporty without being a maxi style scoot like my son and husband.
    Until the BV 350 out you saw very few BVs around here and most of them were 500s.
  13. WheelsnKeels

Oddometer:
    Been riding my Cube on the original tires since I bought it, about 350 miles worth of mostly less than 5 mile round trips (it's a small town). They have worked fine but I've had concerns about them due solely to age; their appearance is great, no cracks or anything, they are newish looking even, with still plenty of tread at just a bit over 2K miles on them. If I didn't know they were older than 5 years, I wouldn't give them much thought.

That said, I've a long trip to ride the Outer Banks coming up, and on inspection this week I found the rear tire has been plugged. Bzzt! :hmmmmm

So I ordered a set of City Grips that should be here this week. Thought I'd ask those of you who've changed your tires, is there anything special or different that'd be handy for me to know prior to doing the job?

I got the tires from bikebandit.com, along with two bottles of RideOn balancer/sealant, for just under $160 shipped. Seems like a good deal.

One other Q: those of you who've ridden with panniers/side bags - how did /do you keep them from wearing on/scratching the body panel paint? I'm thinking I'll put on a "sacrificial" patch of PlastiDip, and then a layer of duct tape over that, in the area where I've already seen that the bags rub. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :thumb
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    What size City Grip did you get for the rear?

As for mounting them, I get my tires mounted at the dealer so I can't help you there.

To protect the body work from the bags just put on some plastic film such as window tint. It goes on without any adhesives, protects the bodywork and can be easily removed.
  15. WheelsnKeels

Oddometer:
    The rear is a 140/70-15 - it seems that is what most others have used. If I'd have had more time, I probably would have gone with that rear you are using. Front is stock size.

Thanks for the self-stick tint idea, I might have some of that around as it is what I used on my van.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You got both tires for about what I paid for just my rear ME88. However, I do prefer going up in diameter as opposed to going down. This way my RPMs go down slightly and my speedo is closer to being accurate. I also expect to finally get some good mileage out of this rear tire but I suspect the rear City Grip will hold up well too. My front City Grip has around 8K on it and shows little signs of wear. My last two front tires were worn out by 8K.
  17. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Proper size sockets and a torque wrench were the only tools we needed if I recall correctly from changing the tires for the cannonball. I had the tires mounted by a tire shop on spare rims so didn't have to change the actual tire just swapped wheels. Not terribly difficult but it will get your hands dirty. :)
  18. WheelsnKeels

Oddometer:
    klav - I would have liked to go up in diameter, for your reasons... Maybe next tire. :)

Thanks, cdwise. I bet that trip was epic, consider me jealous. :)

I'm willing to swap the rubber because it is one of the few things I haven't done/tried that you otherwise normally have a shop do, although most of that wrenching experience is with air-cooled VW's, not bikes. Not really planning it to be a cost savings, figured it will be informational, if nothing else... :)

Taking off in less than two weeks; I will be the token scooter in a group of about a dozen Hog riders. :thumb
  19. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Have fun and there is always next year for you to do the cannonball.

I leave next weekend for my trip as the token scooter rider in a group of BMW riders.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Take some pics and do a ride report. It sounds like it will be a very interesting trip.