Aprilia Sport City 250 review

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jun 7, 2011.

1. WheelsnKeels

WheelsnKeels Bikes n Boats

Oddometer:
    Have fun representing, cd! :)

klav - I'm planning on it. Hopefully I'll be able to do as good a job as you with yours. :thumb

These came in yesterday - that rear sure looks a lot fatter than the numbers would make it seem. :) I guess it'll be a little skinnier with some PSI's in it.

Attached Files:

2. WheelsnKeels

WheelsnKeels Bikes n Boats

Oddometer:
    Longest ride to date yesterday, a bit over 80 miles round trip in a big loop. First half was out through country on 2 lane highway, mostly 55mph, almost no stop signs, ran it at or just above the limit. Return half was all on 4 lanes, with an average speed somewhat lower due to the traffic, stops, and construction zones.

The Cube ate it up, purring the whole way. :)

Ya'll ever notice the people who just can't seem to let 'one of them scooters' be as fast as their cage? I had a few yesterday, like the guy who sped up to catch me from a couple miles behind, then, once he'd passed, suddenly was going only as fast or just slightly slower than I had been already, for the next 4 miles 'til he turned off... :dunno

Also saw a guy going the other way on the four lanes, riding a Hog cruising at ~50, and the whole time I saw him he was looking down and presumably texting with the phone that was in his left hand... :huh
  3. mg_bassa

mg_bassa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been commuting with the Sportcity. A few miles of twisties followed by about 8 freeway miles. On the freeways in CA ; between 80 to 90 mph is the speed on the left lane, so I stick to the right lanes. Luckily it is a reverse commute so that works out ok.
    On the twisties it works really well when the road is smooth blacktop, however all the limitations of the suspension, relatively high unsprung weight and smaller wheel size make themselves evident on rougher roads with lots of tar snakes. Also the lack of engine brake-ing is something I need to get used to.

I installed the GIVI tall wind screen shown below.No wind blast or wind noise even with the visor up. One rides in a calm bubble. Perfect for my needs.

The engine keeps cutting out on idle. It restarts immediately. I want to take a look at the spark plug. The internet says it is behind the "right inspection Panel". Can some kind soul identify that panel? Thanks in advance!!!
    [​IMG]
  4. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike.

:thumb
  5. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you are happy with the Givi? One of the supports for our Puig broke on the cannonball and its jury rig replacement has now caused the other support to fail in a way that means new hardware so we are considering the Givi since it is taller but looks like it might be too tall.
  6. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Possted by @CoolHands :

can anyone reply with what voltage you get on the readout when going along on mid throttle / engine revs please?

(on my 2008 you move the switch three times to change from mileage to voltage readout).

I think mine is low and I'm having battery trouble. Probably rectifier giving up, but would like to compare to someone else. Mine is 12.9 to 13.4 volts on idle but generally down at 12.5 - 13.0 volts when riding. It actually drops when engine speed is raised so I think there is a problem!

thanks

for reference this voltage regulator appears to be failing at 21,000 miles.

here's a pic of voltage at idle 13.0 volts:

[​IMG]

it actually goes down and during riding seems to range between 12.5 to 12.9 volts:

[​IMG]
  7. mg_bassa

mg_bassa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes very happy with the Givi. It is stable at freeway speeds with no excessive flex. I am 6' with 32 inch inseam and need to look through the screen but I don't mind that. I like riding in a quiet pocket On hot days however one wishes for some airflow but you pays your money's and takes your choice
  8. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my son will not want to look through the screen so unless there is a "summer" Givi looks like we'll stick with replacing the Puig.
  9. CoolHands

CoolHands travelling

Oddometer:
    ok I fitted a new rectifier / regulator and the idle voltage is now generally around 14.0 volts, and moving tends to be around 14.4 or 5 volts. So although the voltage wasn't hugely low previously, it was obviously not working correctly.

idle:

[​IMG]

moving:

[​IMG]
  10. CoolHands

CoolHands travelling

Oddometer:
    By the way I changed the oil today - and you can use a different filter from that specified, see pic. I used hiflo HF197 instead of the listed HF183 as they are identical, except for the end of the can. As you can see the HF197 has a bolt shape which makes it very easy to remove. The HF183 has the wide slot thing which is very difficult to find anything to fit (as it is too wide for a screwdriver). Most piaggio engines use these filters.

[​IMG]
  11. greg531

greg531 greg531

Oddometer:
    I have the tall Givi on my Scarabeo 200....and love it....I can ride with my visor up, and in the rain, keep dry. These are very popular in Europe, and they keep the bugs from going between your teeth!
  12. Hardroad

Hardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for heads up on the Filter
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading out this morning to look at a '10 Sport City 300 for $1K! It's rashed on one side from the new owner messing up on a corner (25mph getoff) on the way to get it registered. Hopefully it pans out and I add it to the stable. Pics to follow if it does come home with me. Not sure if it'll end up replacing my Beo 150 or just be my "distance" scoot because I do love the 150, time will tell.
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grabbed it and although its pretty rashed up from a low speed drop it's better off than the owners ungloved hands fared. Hopefully I can locate the plastic on ebay at a decent price. Sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust ... very Ducati-ish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front tire wouldn't hold air so I'm hoping its all just cosmetic. It appears to be.
    Have a listen...

Gonna need a bigger garage

[​IMG]
  15. CoolHands

CoolHands travelling

Oddometer:
    My scooter has failed the MOT (a roadworthiness test in the UK) on play at rear wheel, (and rubber engine mounting bushes shot to pieces, which I will fix a different weekend). I took it home and removed the exhaust and rear wheel - it turned out the nut was loose. The split pin prevented it coming right off. The splines are a now bit worn so worth keeping an eye on your rear wheel when parked - if it has any play in it, investigate! I had been ignoring mine. I use it as a commuter it just gets hammered around 120-odd miles a week.

I replaced the rear bearing in the (exhaust side) carrier since I had one, although it wasn't the cause of this problem. By the way here is the sequence of pics for spacers, since I wanted to double check I had it correct, and couldn't see any example on the internet.

start:

[​IMG]

add wheel

[​IMG]

add top hat spacer:

[​IMG]

add carrier:

[​IMG]

add smaller ordinary spacer (hard to see in this pic):

[​IMG]

then nut (& then split pin carrier etc no photo taken of that):

[​IMG]

the bearing in the carrier is SKF 6303. I heated up the surround with a hot air gun and knocked the old one out, and drifted the new one in. It worked ok.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CoolHands, how many miles/KMs on your sport city?
  17. CoolHands

CoolHands travelling

Oddometer:
    over 22,000 miles. A quite hard life - urban roads around london, gets hammered every day! I will take pics when I replace the silentblocks as they're called (the big rubber mounts)
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Sport City has over 25,000 miles on it. The only problems I have experienced were the leaky fork seal way back and more recently the spark plug cap was coming off the spark plug:eekers It doesn't run real well that way. I replaced the spark plug cap so hopefully that problem is gone. It was a $4.95 NGK part. I wish all my problems where this easy and cheap to fix.
  19. cdwise

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the plastics even new from the sealer are reasonably priced for the SportshAs been a daily rider for my 22 year old son for the last 5 years and was my cannonball scoot so I've got a couple to replace
  20. CoolHands

CoolHands travelling

Oddometer:
    fitted new silent blocks as they are called - the two large rubber mountings that exist in a subframe assembly allowing movement of the engine assembly from the frame. The engine kind of pivots around them. On mine they were totally misshapen see pic of light behind that assembly to show how bad they were. There should be no gap. Because they were so worn it allows the whole assembly to move around and is not good for cornering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made a video to help others in future. In reality if I was doing this again (or as a service item every 12,000 miles which is probably advisable) I would only replace the two large rubbers, not the nylon bushes. They could be replaced without removing the whole assembly.

The video's quite long but was hard to shorten much otherwise nothing made sense,