Aprilia Sport City 250 review

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Sly-one

Sly-one Deskbound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a 2009 with 42000 on the odometer. It's a pretty good drive way from here, so I'm trying to find out what I can before making that trip. It's supposedly been maintained properly "Aprilia Sportcity Cube for sale. 250cc engine. All maintenance services up to date. Only Aprilia OEM parts installed. New fuel system (pump and injector), new clutch, rear brakes, and new air filter. Moto will top out at 80mph on the highway!".
    The second email said "Everything is up to par. I kept up with the maintenance schedule per the mfg. I have receipts for most everything I had done to it. It was my daily driver for 3 years. I've been to jacksonville three times and key west once. It's mechanically sound. The only time out broke down was when the fuel pump quit due to, I suspect, ethanol. Since replacing the fuel system I use ethanol free fuel." Is there a gasket/fuel-line kit that will withstand the ethanol? I can get it here where I live, but only in two places in my county.
    I know KL put a lot of miles on his Sport City, but not this many, lol. I'm looking for opinions of the longevity of this scooter. KL already told me it's a Vespa powerplant, so it should be outstanding in that department, but does anyone out there have one with this many miles (or more) to give me a comparison?
    Thoughts, worries ect? What would you offer for a scoot like this?
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same engine as the Vespa GTS/GTV 250. Many folks have put 60-90,000 miles on that engine and a few more than that.
  3. mg_bassa

mg_bassa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The odometer (at least the on my scooter) is calibrated in KM so it might be lot less in miles.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My odometer came set in kilometers but it can be reset to read in miles which is what i did.
  5. CoolHands

CoolHands travelling

Oddometer:
    Well mileage now 23326, one year later, and the rear needs replacing so lasted 5,000 miles. In the end I left the winter tyres on all year (ie through the summer) so it's been ridden daily since last January. Still legal but tread running low in the middle. Pic of it now, tread flattened off in the middle:

[​IMG]
  6. firemedic309

firemedic309 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just picked up a 09 250 sportcity cube......mileage unknown...it has had the speedo replaced . I paid $800. It runs strong and fast. Any heads up as what to check. The scoot is a little ruff but I think it will be a lot of fun.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, sounds like my deal...only better. Body rash? How about posting up some pics?
  8. firemedic309

firemedic309 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here it is 42000 miles but good service records

Attached Files:

9. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't let this thread die...

I am the newest member here sporting an Aprilia Sport City 250. I picked it up yesterday, today after an oil change using Motul 4T oil and factory oil filter, tire pressure adjustments and air cleaner service, I proceed to drive about 150 mi to the World War 2 Weekend in Reading, PA. The scoot ran great and is in fact a "Simple Delight" to ride vs my DL650. It's the 2008 model with 7,000 mi. Needs a rear tire, should also replace the front as it shows some sidewall cracking & throttle linkage adjustment as it has too much play.

I am ordering the tires on Monday and will use Kaviator's ideas and purchase the Metzeler ME880 with the City Grips.

What else do I need to do in the way of maintenance at 7k mi? I will perform all of my own work including mounting the tires. Thanks in advance. Mark

Attached Files:

10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You might want to change the final drive oil. I think you got everything else. You should be good to go until the first major service at 12,500 miles. Also, take a look at the air filter. The OEM filters were known for falling apart. I finally made my own out of Unifilter foam, It seemed to be much better made than the OEM filter material.
  11. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which Unifilter did you use, the red or the black? I see two options, 40PPI Red or 65PPI Black foam both ⅜" thick.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was green, I'm not sure what thickness. The local dealer had it in stock.
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick hijack...I've still got quite a few parts from my '10 SC300. If anyone needs anything check with me.
  14. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I mounted new tires aa I mentioned my intentions last week. I mounted the Metzler ME880 140/80 rear and the City Grip front. Unless I put the spacers back together in the wrong order, I am seeing the tire favoring the transmission side of the rear axle. The tire nearly rubs the spring/shock while the right hand side has good clearance to the spring/shock.

Do I have something wrong ? Been driving on it for a few days. No issues yet. Love the Metzler.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't remember if mine fit like that. I just know it fit and didn't rub anything.
  16. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you check and get back to me?
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't have it anymore, I gave it to my son. I'll give him a call and ask him to check. It may take a day or two, he's not easy to get a hold of.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on my son to get back to me on the rear tire clearance. He was out of town.
  19. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am hoping some of you SC owners can help me with a few things. I recently bought a used 2007 with less than 3000 miles on it and cosmetically like new. Whenever I buy a new bike or scooter, no matter what the PO tells me, I always go through it from one end to the other and check it over, change all fluids and change or service the filters. I just like knowing for sure that I am running the right stuff in my bikes and that the brake fluid, coolant and all are fresh. So much for my OCD tendencies and onto my questions...

1. When I changed out the coolant I removed the "pan" to get to the air bleeder on the thermostat housing and found when I did that apparently the PO had been there before me as the screw on the left front side ("Driver's side") that pulls the front of the gas tank up to the bottom of the pan was not in. Then when I tried to put one in, I found out why it was not in. It is impossible, or it was for me, to get to it to put it in. My questions related to this are two fold. First, does the tank sit on the frame and if so, is this screw even needed? And secondly, if it is needed, how in the hell does one get to it to put it in? As you know, the "Service Station Manual" is almost worthless.

2. The 2007 came with Maxis tires on it but the PO ran over something and cut his tires and the dealer replaced them with Sava brand tires. Do you know anything about them? I know that the ONLY tires that are available in the proper size are the SAVA brand and the Michelin Power Pures which I understand handle great but that the rear wears quickly. To me, at the proper pressures, the SAVA tires seem to ride hard, as if they have very stiff sidewalls, and give a somewhat unpleasant ride as a result. I'm not sure I'm ready to throw two almost new tires away but thought I'd ask this group what your experience has been with the SAVA tires and what you have found that you like best. For instance, I know Klaviator thinks the City Grip / ME880 combo is by far the best. What say the rest of you?

3. Considering the poor quality of instruction in the manual, are there any SC dedicated internet forums with sections on how to do this and that? If not, I sure wish someone would start one!

4. Has anyone added a side stand? If so, did you go with the $98 one at AF1Racing? If so, how much trouble was it to install? I really find having to put the scoot on the center stand every time I stop a PITA. I love having a center stand but want a side stand too.

Thanks,
    Vic
  20. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heidenau K66 four seasons tire fit the Sports City http://heidenautires.com/scooter-street-tires/ as do the K1 "racing" tire. I've also used City Grip 140/70 15 rear tire as well. I think City Grip is what is on the rear currently and will be going on the front on Friday along with a K66 four season I had bought in case I needed to swap tires before finishing the 2014 cannonball. The K55 made it home. Metzeler is another that makes tires to fit as does Pirelli but they are harder to find (particularly the Pirelli in the US). I do know that the Savas are almost universally despised on the Modern Vespa and folks generally change them as soon as they get a scoot that has them on in favor of City Grips or just about any other brand besides Avon. Apparently Dunlop and Bridgestone make some like by the European contingent but aren't really available in the US.

Sport City has the same engine as the Vespa GTS and Piaggio BV of the same displacement. You can find a lot of info on Modern Vespa on the engine. You may also want to check the AF1Racing forums for more on the Sport City.

I've never bothered with a side stand though I do use the Puig windshield that AF1 has. I've considered the Givi which looks a bit higher but not sure if it would fit my 08 since there was a slight body change during that year.