Aprilia Sport City 250 review

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Since you have used the City Grip on the rear and you are about to put one on the front, how do you think a combo of City Grip front and rear would do on an SC250? Did the extra 0.39" of "supposed" width by going with the 140/70 create any noticeable difference in handling? Did it create a clearance issue anywhere? Would you do the City Grip front and rear over the Power Pure combo?

Vic
  2. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vic. See my post from a few weeks ago concerning tires. I removed a worn Sava replace with Metzler ME880. Quite tight on the transmission side but no rubbing. It just fits.

I have found that the rear suspension on the Sport City is quite tight with either tire. I am on the softest setting.
  3. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you may have gotten something wrong when you put it back together. I just looked at my SC250 and the distance between the left side of the rear tire and the shock spring is the same as on the right side. Putting a different tire on there should not cause one side to be tighter than the other. I have yet to remove my rear wheel so I don't know what could cause this "imbalance" but it seems wrong to me.

Can anyone else who has put a 140/70 on their bike tell us if yours is symmetrical?
  4. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cap (or is it Mark?), I just sent you a note related to your ME880 being tight on one side and not on the other. My rear tire is centered between the shocks and I see no reason why one side of yours should be tighter than the other unless you put something back together wrong.

Regarding rear suspension settings, I am now down to the next to softest and it seems fine for me and I weigh 235. I can't imagine smaller riders using any setting higher than the softest! At the top and one from the top, the rear was rock hard for me.
  5. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usually we have City Grips on the Sport City so that's what is normal for us. I put the K66s on for the cannonball since there were 3 scheduled dirt section and ended up with a few more due to road construction so I wanted something that would improve handling on dirt. They did well for that but don't ride as well on paved roads as the City Grips. If I didn't already have a spare rear K66 I would simply put on another City Grip since I like them. I haven't used the Power Pures on the Sport City and haven't noticed any significant difference between the City Grips and the Power Pures on the Vespa or the Scarabeo.
  6. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great info! What kind of life do you normally get out of a set of City Grips on the SC? Do the City Grips last longer than the Power Pures? If so, how much longer? I think you were saying above that you can't tell much difference at all between the City Grips and the Pures in terms of handling.

Does going to the 140/70 profile have any downsides?.... handling, tight clearance, odd appearance, etc?
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a stock 130/80-15 rear tire my Speedo read at about 10% high. If you go to a taller tire like a 130/90 or 14/80 the speedo becomes more accurate, RPMs will drop for any given speed and it will raise the rear of the scooter slightly giving more cornering clearance as well as higher seat. I rode my SC like a sport bike so the increased cornering clearance was a good thing for me. With a 34" inseam a taller seat wasn't an issue. However, all the changes are pretty small. If you go with a shorter tire like a 140/70 the opposite of all the above will happen. If you don't ride hard in the curves the loss of clearance shouldn't be an issue. Cruising RPMs will rise slightly but acceleration should improve slightly. City grips seem to be real nice tires but I doubt a rear City Grip will last as long as a ME880 which is a much heavier duty tire. On the other hand the City Grip is lighter and costs less.
  8. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vic, there are two spacers used, one larger cone shaped and one standard spacer. The larger on the inside, smaller on the outside. Unless I have a missing part....

Go back a few posts. Post 369. There's a pic of a rear tire. It too looks off center by a small bit.

I installed the Metzler ME880. 140/80. It's a beefy tire.
  9. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I gather you went with the ME880 in the 140/80-15 size. Right? I presume you went with the HB series (140/80HB-15) vs the VB option. Right?

According to the handy dandy tire calculator link below, if it is right and I have no reason to believe that it isn't, you gained 5/16" in height and reduced your factory optimistic speedo by 1.63 mph at 60 mph. The overall tire width increased by 0.39" overall. If you take half of that you have roughly 0.20" increase or 3/16" increase in width on either side of the centerline. Looking at my stock bike, that increase in width should not crowd the shock on either side.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=130-80r15-140-80r15

If you go with a 140/70, you increase your speedo error 1.22 mph at 60 and you lower the rear of the bike by just under 1/4". The same increase in 0.39" width applies here.

I doubt in the real world if many riders would ever notice the difference between any of these changes so tire life, grip and cost will be the factors I'll be looking at most closely when it comes time for me to put new shoes on mine.

Thanks for the help with this everyone!
  10. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go look again. That pic was taken from an angle. I just went to my garage and looked at my stock SC250 and there is exactly the same distance between the tire and the shock on both sides.

Ask someone else to look too. I can only tell you what I see on mine.
  11. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand that there are only two spacers and neither of them have anything to do with clearance of the left side of your rear tire. This raises a question about whether the subframe is loose or bent or something like that. I dunno. :(
  12. Hardroad

Hardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some advise. Have a 2009 Aprilia 250 sport city. Wanting to put a kick stand on. Where to purchase one and anything special putting it on. Thanks
  13. BanthaBob

BanthaBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to know about that stand too.

I want to know how much trouble it is to install as well. How big of a hassle is it to remove that lower side panel without a lift and does the side stand simply bolt on to existing bolt points or what? Is this a 2 hour job for a newbie or an all day job?

And last but not least, is this one of those stands that you have to hold down (and out) until you put the scooter's weight on it or will it stay down until you kick it back up? The one I rode in Europe had a stand on it that popped up the second you took weight off of it. I understand the safety thinking behind that but it was a PITA to work with when putting it down on some surfaces.
  15. BanthaBob

BanthaBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would personally have a shop do it. The last guy who had it done paid 100 for the bodywork. I believe you will need to drill the bolt holes as well.

I read the thread on af1 i think of the guy who had it done.
  16. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He paid $100 for the bodywork or for the total job? Gets to be a damned expensive little kickstand!
  17. PascalM3M5

PascalM3M5 PascalM3M5

Oddometer:
    I sold this scooter to fast! Very nice machine (250-274cc)
    If i see a other one, i buy! Anyone from montreal, quebec, canada who what to make a quick sale? !