Aprilia Tuono 660

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been watching this thing. I love my Superduke and use it for light touring with some soft cases on it but it is a lot of bike and the suspension is not the best. Maybe in a year or so one of these can take it's place. I love the performance, what seems like go ergos, and the light/nimbleness of it although I'm sure I would miss my sledgehammer.
  2. Sid Post

Sid Post Middle aged rider

Oddometer:
    A sledgehammer like your SuperDuke is fun for short rides when you really want treat stoplights like dragstrip Christmas trees!

I find I like my little KLX-250S a lot more than a bigger faster one on the street like a "650" Dual-Sport. Sure my ride is easily blown around the Interstate and lacks a lot of oomph for highway merges but, how much of that do I really do?

Long term, I find the nimbleness and effortless handling to be super inviting. It encourages me to take roads and trails I would never consider on a bigger 650 Dual-Sport.

If I were to ride from Alaska to the tip of South America, I would probably take my KLX-250S over bigger 650 as I don't want to travel with a motorhome's worth of camping gear and clothing and, how often will I want to travel for extended periods at more than 45MPH?

I think this is a big part of the reason the Royal Enfield Himalayan is finding so much favor for Adventure Touring. Plus, it is super easy to fix if something breaks in a remote location.

The Aprila Tuona 660 fits this role for me better than a 1,000/1,100 Sports Tourer. It would run triple-digit speeds if I needed it to but, honestly, other than 80MPH zones on the Interstate, how likely am I to run >65MPH on secondary roads for scenic travels?
    old1959 likes this.
  3. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, our riding style is slightly different. I commute (back when commuting was a thing), do weekend fun rides for a couple hours on twisty roads around my house, and longer trips of 2-3 days of sports riding in the mountains. All of these types of rides can hit triple digits. I can't see a 250 cutting it for me. I can from a S1000XR before my SD. That was also a sport touring machine but with more touring as it had hard bags, windshield, GPS, etc. Being that I never go for more than few days, it was too much touring. The SD is a fun machine and can carve corners. It is not very refined and will buck you of ridden wrong but the ergos are fine for light touring and I prefer the wind in my face feel especially on twisty, fast mountain roads.
    Hokem Malarky and Sid Post like this.
  4. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming...
    [​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  5. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    Yep, I like a bit of wind in my face as well. High-speed canyon carving is not my thing on public roads as I have had too many bad experiences with distracted drivers. Rural roads enjoying the scenery is more my style. I also like the fact I can exit the roadway safely if some idiot cager is trying to kill me.
    Patek likes this.
  6. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    While you are considering the possibilities take a good look at the 890 Duke R. I have been looking forward to the 660 along with new 1100 Tuono's but had a chance to pick up a slightly used 890 Duke. It is an impressive bike for sure and I am no longer lusting after the Aprilia's.

I seriously considered the new 2020 Super Duke with the much stiffer chassis but fortunately the price got me to consider some other options. I didn't really want to spend 20k on a second bike. The non-standard quick shifter also bugged me. I also came from a couple of S1000XR's. Great bikes but they overlapped a bit too much with my 1250GS. The mid size Duke appears, at this early stage, to be just the ticket to compliment the GS.
    crackerguy and Patek like this.
  7. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like keeping it to one bike though. Can the 890 take luggage? I guess it could with a different exhaust.
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. It would not be a great all around bike. But, it is a fantastic second bike.
    Patek likes this.
  9. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    These days with a new born and a three year old, I barely have time to ride one (I honestly haven't ridden in months) so it is hard to justify one bike much less two.
  10. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    You can definitely add luggage if you want to. While it is not designed for general sport-touring duty, I have seen a few, mainly with soft-sided bags, at various places.

Whether the SuperDuke GT hard bags would fit is unknown to me right now but, I suspect that they could be mounted with some gentle tweaks to hardpoints if needed. With all the Duke 790/890s out in the wild, I would be shocked if the popular aftermarket folks in Europe didn't have a good solution for luggage.
  11. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the bike you take out when you only have 30 or 45 minutes and just want to clear your head. It can go a lot longer but it is worth taking it out even if you have very little time.

When I had little ones I used to go for a short ride at night after they went to bed.
  12. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have soft bags on my SD R right now and they are enough for me (especially since I am not riding). Let me see if I can get some riding this year before I justify a new toy. It is fun to look though.
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    March 2021 for us in the USA.

daveinva, wpbarlow and FranknStein7 like this.
  14. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bike is friggin' gorgeous. Best looking new bike of 2021 IMO. Sounds amazing too. I wonder what the hell they are going to do about the front blinkers though for silly US regs. For the RS660, they put the blinkers in side mirror housings. Not sure if that's going to be possible with the Tuono.
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Bump!

Patek, FranknStein7 and LuciferMutt like this.
  16. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have one of these yet? I would love to see a comparison against the Duke 980 R.
  17. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    AFAIK, dealers in North America have not received them yet.
    Patek likes this.
  18. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AF1 as of two weeks ago were saying mid to late April.
    dtysdalx2, Patek and FranknStein7 like this.
  19. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  20. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Gimme a concept black with quick shifter please! :y0!

Available April 2021

Wonder if the bike really needs a 180 rear tire though. :hmmmmm

[​IMG]
    FranknStein7 likes this.