Aprilia Tuono 660

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:

The footpegs are different (rubber top on Tuono, bare metal on RS), but I agree, the footpeg stays look to be identical.

Gustavo
    Patek likes this.
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Yep, they have first responder discounts too. Check the website.

Ok, I will C&P. Ends in a few days though!

Military, First Responder & now Teachers who purchase any 2021/Prior model year are eligible to receive an incentive up to $750, applied to the purchase price of the vehicle. This includes Canadian Armed Forces, United States Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard and Reserves as well as Fire, Police or EMS. This includes also any medical workers like doctors, nurses & again EMS (EXCLUDES 900 range).

Valid from 04/01/2021 through 05/31/2021 & MUST provide dealer with Military ID or Fire, Police, EMS ID, or Teachers ID.

Disclaimer Info:

*Piaggio Group Americas is pleased to offer the Military & First Responders (which now includes Teachers as a first responder) Promotion valid through 04/01/2021 through 05/31/2021 to all active, reserve, and retired Canadian Armed Forces, United States Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard and Reserves as well as Fire, Police or Doctors, Nurses & EMS with a valid ID. Military & First Responders, now including Teachers who purchase any 2021/Prior model year Aprilia vehicle are eligible to receive an incentive of $750, applied to the MSRP of the new vehicle. Incentive is based on purchased model cc range as follows: $750 for all Aprilia motorcycles only. *Eligible Product must be new and unused, for which no retail sales/product registration has been previously submitted to or processed. Military & First Responders promotion cannot be used with 0% financing or any 900 Range.
    pazzo likes this.
  3. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  4. Bobino

Bobino Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's actually great Aprilia is replacing the whole engine and taking care of this.
    It's the time spent at the dealer that would concern me as an owner. The dealer support network is not all that great in the US
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  6. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Wow. No one got one here? I didn't. :(

The document reveals that the owner was traveling at 75 mph when “the vehicle began to make an abnormal vibrating sound as the alarm pressure warning light illuminated.” A local Aprilia dealership confirmed that a fractured connecting rod caused the engine failure. With just 1,400 miles on the odometer, the House of Noale will repair the unit under the customer’s factory warranty.
  7. Sid Post

Sid Post Middle aged rider

Oddometer:
    When they are all presold, it is hard for me to see one person. I won't buy a motorcycle I can't see in person first.

Then there is the issue of being an early adopter "beta tester" which has its perks and risks.

The hype over a brand or new model is also something to be cautious of. Sometimes the hype is for good reason and sometimes it is really about a good marketing campaign.

With Ducati providing a good alternative and a better dealer network, it's not like the new "660's" are the only good option right now. And, Ducati certainly has a long proven history in the USA domestic market. Personally, one of the 937/950 modern Ducati options is a strong contender in this arena for me. The Super Sport may be the modern Honda VFR mid-life crisis motorcycle but, for me, it is a viable option to the Tuono 660 and I won't be at the mercy of one dealer ~7 hours away. Whether it is "the one" remains to be seen though.
    pazzo likes this.
  8. Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody get one of these yet? I’m trying to decide between the tuano 660 & KTM 890 Duke R for a dedicated track bike.
  9. Lili Von Shtupp

Lili Von Shtupp 102° Rx = + /_\

Oddometer:
    "There is no replacement for displacement"

The 890 is a weapon...
    Ducatijim likes this.
  10. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I test rode a 660 Tuono today, and have a road racing background. The duke obviously has more power, and I’m sure the suspension will be more suited to track duty on the KTM for most riders. I prefer a softer setup on track & street, which goes against the grain it seems.. The Tuono is very compliant on the street. Brakes are solid, but not amazing. Chassis feel is really good. Clutch is insanely light, with great feedback. Transmission was very precise. $200 for the quick shifter option, which isn’t available at the moment... Italians for ya!

I’ll end up purchasing the 660. To me it’s almost that ”perfect” bike we all want. It was a new bike, so I didn’t completely ring out the motor. It sorta has a 2 stroke power band. Not much happening, then BAM! Not going to set the hair on fire, but enough power to keep me entertained. Anything over 100hp on track really wears me out quickly. Things happen far too quick with the 150+hp bikes. Perfect amount for the street IMO

It’s a really solid little bike. I hope it’s a home run for Aprilia, and they stay reliable. During my test ride the check engine light did start to flash, but after shutting down at the dealer and restarting it wasn’t there? Piaggio has a pretty poor rep in the customer service department, so that’s something to really consider. The dealer I was at today, the two sales guys who seem to be in charge of the Piaggio lineup, really knew there stuff and have been around for awhile. My guess, they would make sure things are handled if any headaches happened during warranty. Making sure you have a really good dealer is always paramount, and with Aprilia that’s a pretty tall ask. Not many around! Luckily, all signs point to a positive experience with my local dealer!

C5575E5E-03EA-4D7D-AA70-A09117E2F520.jpeg
  11. Ocotillo Boy

Oddometer:
    I did a demo today too! I however, am not buying it.

Put the bike in 2nd gear, hold throttle steady at 3000rpms, wack the throttle wide open, it jumps, until it hits 4250rpms, you hear and feel the motor fall on it’s face, and it’s a slow dead climb to roughly 7K then it turns on like a light switch or a two stroke, braaappp!

Emissions is the reason, didn’t care for that. Very small and cramped feeling, after my 15 mile ride my wrists were sore.

Lastly, the suspension is very harsh over square edge bumps.

It was neat, it was cool, it’s absolutely beautiful, but it’s not for me. For the other $1776 dollars, the 2021 890 R Duke is far far far superior.

IMHO....
    Ducatijim, pazzo and dtysdalx2 like this.
  12. Sneeze Juice

Oddometer:

Interesting! The one I rode didn’t fall on its face, but definitely as both stated. Really has a 2 stroke powerband feel.

I purposely went down some awful roads at a good clip, and it was super compliant. I’m 160lbs, not sure if that helps with the stock suspension. It’s definitely on the soft side.

Haven’t given the 890 duke a go, but loved my 690 duke. I’m sure you’ll be happy with the 890R!
  13. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I know some local guys that have purchased Duke 790/890’s and RS660’s as track bikes, and they’re all super happy with them. Don’t think you can go wrong with either.
  14. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Sure like to demo ride one. Wonder if those huge throttle bodies give it the light switch power band. :hmmmmm

A bit too much red for me but....
  15. Tjeepdrv

Tjeepdrv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ridden both this and the Street Triple 765 R? I think I've narrowed it to those two. I want the cruise control of the Tuono and the engine of the STR.
  16. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Bike magazine just reviewed it. They said 9/10 and bike of the year material.
  17. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting descriptions of "two-stroke behavior" when the stated design goal, and the published dyno curves show the torque curve to be almost flat, ideal for street riding. I'll bet that to get this curve in reality, an emissions re-tune is necessary, and peak HP will fall to 85. Damn shame! This was my unicorn.
  18. Sneeze Juice

Oddometer:

I was out of town hiking this weekend, and realized a buddy lives not too far from where I was. He owns literally everything. Didn’t have gear with me (Had to borrow a helmet), and broke my rule of riding without gear for 30 minutes or so on his 660 Tuono.

The test ride I took at the dealer, I was far more focused on how it handles on poor roads than power. Well, there’s definitely a dead spot. Roughly 2k worth, and it seems to be when in second gear. Depending on what roads/track you’re hammering on, it would definitely be annoying to most. My main goal for the bike would be to tour with, and just use daily. I could easily deal with the dead spot.

In fact, I’ll be purchasing one
  19. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aftermarket tunes have cured dead-spots before, from BRZ's to S-10's. Here's hoping someone comes up with a cure. I was waiting for an RS-660 Factory R in 2022 anyway.
  20. Ocotillo Boy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, like I was saying, very prominent in 2nd gear.