1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

AR-ADV Camping Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by OLEARY, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    That sounds reasonable. I still have a whole lot of work to do on swapping parts from my XRL over to it, but if I can get it in reasonably close proximity to being street legal (and throw my XRL plate on it), I might try to come over.

Greg
  2. dbarkdoll

dbarkdoll Amateur Brapper

Oddometer:
    Any Big Bike tracks planned out?
  3. ScottyXR

ScottyXR Just a Kid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oleary mentioned he'd be working on that big bike track, I bet he is done before you know it!
    Tex Rider likes this.
  4. OLEARY

OLEARY Enlightened Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have attached two big bike tracks. One is the one we rode last year and the other is the one we rode the year before. Sorry but that is the best I can do this year. Don't have time to lay out a new track and am not that familiar with the area. I did fix the part of last years track that went thru that land that was private. I believe it is good, at least it appeared so on Google Earth. No gates that I could see.

I plan on riding the 2017 Big Bike track on Friday. I haven't had the opportunity to ride the portion east of Hwy 71 but others have.

I have not received any PM's for the small bike track from anyone. I am sure the OK boys will have received them from Darel or Pete. It is probably not that important. We usually stick together pretty well. I always like to have them in case I lose the guy in front of me for some reason.

Attached Files:

5. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Campsite is booked for Queen W, looking forward to it. Hoping for good weather!
    Tex Rider and OLEARY like this.
  6. ScottyXR

ScottyXR Just a Kid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really wish I could make this ride, it never fails to be the favorite! I'll have 1,200 people flying kites in my front yard with all my 7 grandkids. My wife says I better not leave!
  7. guavadude

Oddometer:
    Seems to me like with all those people there, no one would notice you missing. Would be a good shakedown cruise for your new 450 too. Just sayin'.
  8. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    i

I will check on your schedule next year. Hate it that you cannot make it. Bring the grandkids and their kites. Usually plenty of wind up on Rich Mountain.

The way the weather turned out it would have worked well this last weekend but who knew. The way the weather was looking I set it back a week to make sure the weather was warm anyway.
    guavadude likes this.
  9. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I could make it as well but have an Aunt turning 100 that day so will be attending a family get together in her honor. Y’all have a great time and ride safe.
  10. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    QUEEN WILHELMINA CAMP-N-RIDE 2019
    The weather was excellent both Friday and Saturday. Rode trails on Friday because the weather was somewhat in question for Saturday. Darel, Pete and three other OK riders along with myself, Crownhorse and Divin Duck from Norleans rode trails on Friday. Saturday Crownhorse, Divin Duck & I rode the 2017 Big Bike track & Darel and Pete were good enough to lead Kevin (Guavadude) and his buddy from Dallas on a trail ride. All went fairly well, I will fill you in on some of the details later when I get some video edited. Thanks to Darel for laying out an excellent track and for leading us thru the woods. We did have to do a little bushwackin and rerouting due to downed trees and lumbering going on in certain areas. That is when Darel & Pete who know the area well keep us from getting in too much trouble. Thanks to you both for making this one of the best camping events of the year. More later.
  11. guavadude

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride on Sat but have realized I need a smaller bike if I’m going to do the trails. Either that or the gravity is just stronger in the Ouachitas.

Did the first half of the small bike track with some added detours led by Pete. Had lunch at Haw’s Creek and then headed over to Cedar Lake for a bit. Came back on the northern loop and started to get a better idea of the area. Took one trail and then two tracked it back to camp before the rain hit. 110 miles total.

Was hoping to ride the big bike loop on Sunday but it rained so much, we bailed and headed to DFW in time to miss the next line of thunder storms.

Great riding, thx to all that share the knowledge and suppprt.
    Starting to look at Orange bikes for next year!
    jojofett likes this.
  12. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    QUEEN WILHELMINA 2019

Finally have some video of the small bike ride and thought I would post that up and some photos. Rode the SB ride on Friday this year because as I mentioned earlier the weather was somewhat uncertain for Saturday. It ended up being a great day to ride Saturday as well. Eight riders gathered at QW Campgound about 9:30 Friday morning. I had planned to drive in Thursday night but had a lot of last minute bike work to accomplish so I decided to get up early Friday morning so I did and arrived at the campgrounds about 9:30. This is the gathering Friday morning.

[​IMG]

Mostly KTM's (2) 350's, (3) 500's, (1) 300 tpi, a WR450F and a bored KX250/390 or something like that. I was not going to ride my new 300 tpi because it was not ready for prime time, actually its maiden voyage so needless to say I struggled on the steep uphill sections without a Rekluse (no clutch skills) and my arse was so sore at days end from the 2x4 they call a seat I can't even tell you. I had planned on riding my EXC450 but the group voted for me to ride the 300 and I was foolish enough to go along with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did have some tire issues on Jeff's 350 but they had that fixed with some help from his friends in short order.

[​IMG]

Lunch at Haw Creek Falls country store. No fuel there this time around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are some local color photos that Pete took. Actually Pete took all of the photos. He did a great job keeping track of everyone riding sweep. Although we did lose Jim (Divin Duck) just before lunch bushwackin around a downed tree. One of the fellas from OKC, Jerry, had the good sense to get Jims cell phone number earlier in the day and Jim got hooked back up with the group after lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day was a lot of fun in spite of the sore arse and all went well. Rode the BB track on Saturday with Tom (Crownhorse) and Jim (Divin Duck). Kevin (Guavadude) from Dallas and his friend arrived at the campground Friday midday and Pete was good enough to lead them on the SB track on Saturday until lunch and then they managed by themselves after that. I left the campground around 6:30 or so and headed home. Thanks for those who showed up to ride. It was good to get back together and ride again after a long long long winter.

This is a video I edited of the SB ride. Missed most of the good stuff as usual but thought you might like to see some of what we rode.

Bhart89, jojofett, NateLePain and 6 others like this.
  13. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Don't you own a DR350?
  14. guavadude

Oddometer:
    yes, but I also own a 30" inseam. I put a stiffer shock spring on it and lost some of my sag. Going to go back to stock and try one of those medieval rack machines too.

Still would like an orange bike that weighs less so I can be one of the cool kids.
  15. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Made a video of the Big Bike ride for you'se guys that are not familiar with the area. The Ouachita Mountains have a whole different feel than the Ozark Mountains.

16. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Hey guys this is Jerry, I was on the ride with you on Friday. I was the 350 KTM right behind Darel most of the day. That was a great ride. Only one flat and one lost rider. I had Jim’s email address because I had attempted to send him the tracks. I had just met him that morning when we were getting ready to leave. He was telling me he wishes he had downloaded the tracks. I noticed he had his cell phone attached to his motorcycle. I told him I could email him the tracks. So that is why I had his email address. I sent my cell phone number to his email address. But by the time he called me we were out of range again. Once we had reception again I googled the haw creek store. And got the phone number. There is no cell reception at Haw Creek but they had a land line. Just so happened he was still there. And we were able to hook up with him again. Sorry this is so long but I just thought it was interesting how it all worked out. I sure love riding that area.
  17. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry for your help with getting in touch with Jim out in the boonies. That is strange the way he got separated from us. I did not know he was even missing until we got to lunch. He was ahead of me by a rider or two. Good thinking on your part and may be a good lesson for us all with new riders or all riders in the group. Enjoy riding with you OKC guys. Good guys everyone. If you can keep up with Darel you are doing pretty good.
  18. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    2DE3E5F2-71D5-489A-B1AF-F58E1E125D95.jpeg Thanks for the videos I really enjoyed them. I was surprised with that big bike video. That is not what I was expecting that looks like fun. The ride Friday was epic though. I realize this is a camping thread but this is where we were camping.
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  19. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    842BB7C1-D93F-4563-8F60-7C548FAF7832.jpeg Actually I am from the Tulsa area. Coweta. Yes you are right we need to be more careful. I am like you I did not know he was missing until we got to lunch.
  20. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer: