AR-ADV Camping Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by OLEARY, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    I'm good with that one. Were you able to pre-ride it this past weekend?

Greg
  2. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I wasn’t able to find someone to ride with me. There is talk of possible preride with Tommy on Friday.
  3. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Have you done the Blanchard ride before? We typically meet at Anglers White River Resort (gas station/restaurant) at the intersection of AR-9 and AR-5 just north of Mountain View or at the Fifty-Six Country Store not far from the entrance to Blanchard Spring Caverns. I'm probably going to drag my camper up and stay somewhere in the vicinity of Anglers Resort or Jack's Resort near Allison/Sylamore. If someone wants to alter the starting location, let me know and I'll try to make arrangements and pass that on to others over my way.

Greg
  4. ArkieRider

Oddometer:
    Yes... I think those that are camping will stay at Jacks Resort. That’s where I plan to go.

Guess we just need to nail down before hand where the start point is for those that arent camping...if it’s not Jacks Resort itself. Don’t know about parking etc...
  5. mckellon

mckellon n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ll be there Friday provided I get the bike put back together and the hay baled before then. I reserved a room at Jack’s Resort.
  6. Pitpass

Pitpass Adventurer 85 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on pre-ride Friday. Will post time and where starting point later this week, I'm open to suggestions on start time and meeting place. I booked a room at Jack's Resort for Friday night. Will head home Saturday after we ride. Tommy
  7. OLEARY

OLEARY Enlightened Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your taking the lead and preriding and all. I was going to post some tracks but Greg told me that he sent you the 2012 track. Hope all goes well and the weather cooperates. Was looking forward to getting back over there but I guess it will have to be another time. Thanks for your concern & prayers, Hope to catch up with you all next month,
    NateLePain likes this.
  8. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim for all you've done over the past several years. Putting these events on is a big undertaking, especially considering the distances traveled from your home. I'm also glad that Scott has stepped up on this one... I'll do what I can to back him up and help. It'll be Friday evening before I can be there since I'm running a little short on vacation days this year.

We're camping at a new spot for us... Angler's Resort just to the southwest of the main intersection of AR-9 & AR-5. I think it's run by the folks at the restaurant there at the intersection. They have full hook-ups - water, electric and sewer, so my wife and family will have something to do while I'm out riding. I've stayed at Jack's many times and never had a bad experience there. The campsites that back up to the highway can be a little noisy from the traffic but it's still a great place. That would be a good place to start from. There is some parking available at the boat ramp across the river or at Walmart. There's one about six miles south in Mountain View.

Greg
  9. ArkieRider

Oddometer:
    Blanchard Springs Ride

Saturday 9-14. Meeting at Jacks Resort, Mountain View.

Kickstands up at 9:00 am

Jack's Resort Address:
    237 Jack's Resort Road
    Mountain View, AR 72560

Kickstands up at 9:00 am. There, noted it twice:-)

It’s a pretty long track.. 170 to 185 miles or so. There is gas along the way... I’ll post up the track
    Gonna be a hot one, bring lots of water :photogLookin' forward to the ride.

Attached Files:

Pitpass likes this.
  10. ArkieRider

Oddometer:
    Well a group of 5 rode the route yesterday and it was “enough” for 3 of us including myself that we skipped out on the ride today. Riders were myself, Tommy Mikels, Tom Dierks, Greg Hale and Neil Finkenbinder. The route is a bit long and has a road that runs between Push Mountain and highway 5 that none of us are too fond of. It consists of a slick/ white powdery dust and lots of off cambers. It’s the road that a couple from our group, Greg and Tom, had a bad crash years ago. You’ll see a couple photos with Greg expressing his “love” for the exact spot of their get off.
    If we could find a different route to exclude that road I think it would be a much better route. The area from Fifty Six down to Shirley is really nice. I would say about 90% of the route as posted is big bike friendly except for the 10% down near Shirley. That area has a nice rocky hill and some muddy bogs with roots that run along the river that a bike bigger than a 650 would struggle with. No mechanicals and nobody went down so it was a great ride. Saw a ton of deer and if I knew how to post video, I have some good shots. Saw so many that it became a real concern about being tackled by one and made me slow down and be more cautious. Ran over to Leslie and ate lunch at a nice cafe. A huge thanks to Tommy Mikels for leading the way today when I couldn’t make it.
    At least not by the 9 am deadline somebody was emphatic about.:D

Looking forward to Long Pool and cooler temperatures!!
    Battmo, mckellon and jojofett like this.
  11. ArkieRider

Oddometer:
    6865FFFD-0F24-43FC-A8ED-6936B55DEAD5.jpeg AA378AF6-5888-4637-A8C8-5008937ABD24.jpeg 787DEDC3-4F0D-4E7A-A836-5EFEBA3B6377.jpeg C9463FB5-3B2C-4C39-9D0C-4144FA65D5F9.jpeg 35A3BA02-3EBB-4289-B5F7-ACF110EF9889.jpeg FEE03D57-6278-435C-960E-264D576325EE.jpeg 5724AF32-EE10-4F4D-A4F2-C03F15B075A7.jpeg 330D4BEC-D04A-4D69-B397-4AFBD751E74E.jpeg 4E32BF58-FD9C-41BA-9175-CE29B7AC570F.jpeg
    mckellon and jojofett like this.
  12. ArkieRider

Oddometer:
    C1ACBFB7-0DB2-4459-A73E-CCED725E5632.jpeg B6EA2285-7C4E-4429-9C46-310710631D17.jpeg 7F962BEE-4A5F-46FD-B751-17AD6890077E.jpeg 214D0420-0BF7-427A-9597-329D08BA7FF9.jpeg 937836C3-3A2B-4B97-9853-03C98CE27C71.jpeg A8E9E1B3-072B-48EA-842B-465AF39A7986.jpeg
    jojofett likes this.
  13. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Thanks Scott for the photos! Love that spot overlooking the White River near Calico Rock. I have always liked that railroad bed along the Little Red River as well. Glad all went well. I remember the ride when a couple of our brethren went down like it was yesterday. Did not remember it being powdery but it certainly was off camber. Hope to see you all at either the Bootlegger or Long Pool.

Here is a link to the 2014 ride and a video of the Red River Run.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ar-adv-camping-thread.651353/page-120#post-24461906
  14. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride on Saturday though there was only four of us. By the time we rolled back in to Jack's Resort, it was probably pushing 5:00 and 178 miles of very little pavement, lots of gravel, rocks and also lots of dust (late in the day). What a great way to spend a nice Saturday in September!

A dry Roasting Ear Creek (pronounced "Rose-near" in Arkansas):
    upload_2019-9-16_12-27-59.png

And City Rock Bluff:
    upload_2019-9-16_12-30-26.png

Thanks for letting me tag along.

Greg
    Pitpass likes this.
  15. OLEARY

Oddometer:
    Glad you were able to get out and ride. Probably the closest ride for you to get to from your home. Thanks to Tommy for sticking around and leading you'se guys on Saturday. How was camping at the Anglers campsite?
    Pitpass likes this.
  16. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I shudda went :vardy
    I was committed to the AMA ride in Bixby MO that weekend; put close to 700 miles on the WR.
  17. Philb772

Philb772 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    It's OK, I guess. It's one of those old "Camp Coast to Coast" time share places. It is scenic since it's right on South Sylamore Creek, but the campsites are very close to each other. The hookups were at the edge of the drop-off to the creek and I couldn't back my camper up close to them since it tapered off... had to run to Wally-World and get a sewer hose extension and 25' coax. There was just something that caused me to be a little cautious about not rolling off into the creek. Jack's is probably the best in the area since the campsites are level and spread a little better apart. It's sort of pricey at $39 a night though but you do get electric/water/sewer/cable. That may be why I usually camp at the CoE Dam/Quarry Cove at Norfork and just ride the 31 miles over. Electric/Water no sewer or cable but only $22 a night and the campsites are spread out. They also have really nice bathrooms.

We missed having you there... hopefully you'll be at Long Pool.

Greg
  19. mckellon

mckellon n00b

Oddometer:
    Some highlights from the 2019 Blanchard ride. The clips at the end got out of order somehow..

20. crownhorse

crownhorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i missed all the good stuff