Arai XD-5 ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Kannonball 88, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Kannonball 88

Kannonball 88 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if Arai has plans to upgrade the XD-4 in the near future? The XD-4 has been around longer than the XD-3 was in production (I think) so I'm wondering if it's about time for a new version. I like my XD-4 but it's getting close to time to replace it and I really hate to buy a new one and then see an updated version come out soon after. Anybody out there have contacts on the inside at Arai?
    Travman likes this.
  2. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There have been rumors for a long time. If you need a helmet don’t wait around for it. I’m guessing there won’t be major changes when it does come to market. Fresh look and maybe a stiffer peak?
  3. Kannonball 88

Kannonball 88 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got another year or so before the clock runs out on the current helmet but I'd really like to see a new helmet with better ventilation than the current XD.
  4. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a conversation with the Arai rep at the LA IMS show. They are waiting on the next Snell version, then the XD5 will be made to that standard. Figure 2020 at earliest.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XD-4 was refreshed in '16 - so there's technically two versions of it. If you have a pre-'16, there's some nice changes in the update.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  6. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's interesting as I was looking at the latest ones and didn't notice anything different to my original XD4 other than graphics/colours. Can you elaborate on whats changed ?
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  7. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    Mine's a 2015 :'(
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, it was a 2015 change (mainly for Snell 2015 rating). They adjusted the venting, switched to the newer FCS pads, and did some minor shell adjustments for noise mitigation. That's also when they released the Pinlock compatible visor (which you have to buy separately - it works ok). If your helmet has the Snell 2015 marking, it's the latest version.

I'm sure Arai will release a new version around 2020 to carry the new standard - although who knows how much of a change it will be. My 2015+ revision XD4 is pretty outstanding; the field of vision and overall comfort actually makes it my favorite touring helmet. My personal asks would be a chin curtain for colder weather touring (you can wedge the one from the Corsair/Quantum et al in there but it's obviously not actually made to work), and easier switching for the face shield/shade.
  9. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Shoei Hornet DS prior to switching over to the Arai XD-4 so I moved my chin curtain from the Shoei Hornet and it fits in between the shell and liner and worked out very well. Reduced the noise and kept me warm. Because the Shoei is more oval shaped, curtain is longer and covers a good majority of your neck on the Arai. It does take some effort to remove the helmet but once the curtain stretches out a bit it becomes easier.
    IMG_6190.JPG fullsizeoutput_1136.jpeg
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, the Arai curtain works - there's just no internal attachment points for it on the XD4 (and the shape means you need to bend it a bit), but it's a much nicer curtain then that Shoei one.
  11. DR Steve

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll have to take mine in to the shop to compare directly as I can't see any differences with the venting, everything looks the same. Salesman did mention the shell is slightly smaller/narrower as it no longer has Snell rating and is now ECE rated here - it may be all region dependent.
    Mines a 4/2012 build and has the FCS pads and came fitted with a Pinlock visor as standard.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it called the XD? I know it’s called something else for the Euro market now.
  13. DR Steve

Oddometer:
    Certainly is an XD4. Arai doesn't make anything else remotely similar.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right, but in some markets they call it something else. In the UK/EU it’s called the Tour-X 4.
  15. DR Steve

Oddometer:
    Here's some pics of my 4/2012 built XD4. Any visible differences to the later ones ?
    20190309_082233 (Large).jpg 20190309_082259 (Large).jpg 20190309_082203 (Large).jpg
  16. DR Steve

Oddometer:
    Today I took my XD4 into the shop to compare with the current offering. The pinlock visor is exactly the same as are all the vents and their respective cowls/scoops/intakes. The only noticeable difference is the neck roll material is a little different and the newer version is ECE rated compared to mine with a Snell rating.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're getting the Euro version now, the '15 lite revision I have is Snell rated to the 2015 standard. The Pinlock visor on mine is slightly different, and it has the newer liner - but I think those are really the only changes; unless there's some EPS foam adjustments to meet the Snell impact standard that we'd never see.
  18. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    @dstutz , looks like a bit of a wait for the XD5
  19. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    none of the new standards coming down the pike will affect the USA market,,, and whats interesting is that FIM is joining into the foray of helmet safety, from what i can tell its the most demanding standard yet.

one thing to keep in mind about all these safety regs,, is that they dont all apply to all things the same, there are several versions within each group.

for example SNELL, the 2020d is DOT, its for USA and JIS markets and will remain the same from 2015 standards,, the new one is 2020r its the one that will compliment the new euro ECE 22-05 and FIM FRHPhe-1 regs.

the regs are simply adding a new impact test to the current ones in play, and thats nothing more than a calulated HIC max shock rating, so it will require modifications of internal shock abosrption, shouldnt have to change anything about shells.

i guess what i'm saying is even if arai takes the XD4 to the 2020r standard they shouldnt have to make external changes to pass it, so i dont expect any major changes to the helmet soon,,, and why bother, its pretty fooking good.
  20. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    its already happening as of Aug LAST YEAR when they started accepting submissions for new testing,, the arai rep you spoke to musta been a sales grunt.

the cutoff for complaince is Oct this year, production of 2015 standard helmets will cease next month for all manufactures and new labels will be shipping out for approved helmets,,, for us USA folks, expect to see the snell 2020d label as the only change to the newly designed "XD5":lol3